Is my new Blackhawk a large or medium frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Michael C

Bearcat
I just purchased a Ruger New Model Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. The model number is 0407. It is the Turnbull finished gun so the serial number starts with TBB. Is this a Large or medium frame revolver? I do not yet have the revolver in my hands as it is being shipped. Also, I really want to get a 45ACP cylinder and not sure if I can buy a used one from an Old Model Blackhawk as I see some used ones for sale. Mike

Hondo44

Hawkeye
dakota1911's photo shows a med frame 45 cyl at top from a New Vaquero or NM Flattop Blackhawk. The 45 cyl on the bottom is from a large frame. This is not relevant, nor does it address your question!

Your Bisley is a large frame and the old model 45 is a large frame therefore the cylinders are the same size! So yes, of course you can use an old model 45 ACP in your NM Bisley. As you probably know, they're not always a drop-in fit however and may take some fitting.

Or you can look for a NM Blackhawk 45 ACP cyl which will likely take less fitting than an OM. But in both case the most important dimension is the overall length! It's a lot more work if you get a cyl shorter in OAL than the one in your gun. A little longer is good, it's much easier to file down to proper length.

Rclark

Hunter
old model 45 ACP
Are you sure about that? OM cylinders (pre '73) I think are different that the NM cylinders (revolvers since '73 with transfer bar). Could be wrong though.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
old model 45 ACP
Are you sure about that? OM cylinders (pre '73) I think are different that the NM cylinders (revolvers since '73 with transfer bar). Could be wrong though.

As I mentioned, they can take more fitting than a NM cyl. Sometimes the ratchets need a little shortening (filing) to maintain headspace and cyl gap instead of the front gas ring. Sometimes front of cyl needs slight facing off. But it's still the same basic cyl and same diameter.

As a general rule the closer the vintage of the cyl to the vintage of the gun, the closer the fit will be.

Michael C

Bearcat
I found a New Model Blackhawk cylinder on eBay. I will follow up when I get it together. My main reason to have it is to shoot up odd and ends of my 45acp reloads that don't get shot in bullseye matches. Mike

CraigC

Hawkeye
Large frame.

Turnbull%20Bisley.jpg