Looking for an SP-101 grip shaped like...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MZ5

Bearcat
Hello. I've been playing around with my SP-101 (327 Fed, manufactured within the last year-ish) lately and have come to a conclusion. I really like the gun, and really _want_ to like the gun, but I can't get a consistent hold on the thing. Partly because of this, it doesn't naturally point right for me at all.

This seems to be due to grip shape. It's too square in profile; specifically it's too short front to back. I could also stand for it to be slightly more vertical (more like a 1911A1), but I'd say the number one issue is I need more length front to back.

What would you all suggest I try, based on your experience, to get a more rectangular (longer front-to-back) grip for this gun? Is a Hogue the one I need? A Pachmayr? Some other brand, whether I've ever heard of it or not?

I may have materials preferences, but for the moment I'd like to focus on shape first, then think about materials from the available choices.

Now, to be clear, I am aware that one can practice and practice and adapt to lots of things. I also know that I'm not going to do that in order to adapt to this gun. It's only one of the handguns I have and like to shoot, and the others are all quite uniform in their basic grip shape, so that's the standard (for lack of a better term) I have and choose to stick with.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

contender

Ruger Guru
One trick an old timer taught me long ago.
Take a batch of modelling clay. Wrap the gun grip in cellophane. Then wrap some modelling clay around the grip, all the way around. Pack it close to the gun. Then, using your primary hand, grip the gun, and squeeze the clay until it conforms to your hand. Remove the excess. Then, CAREFULLY cut the clay apart, in halves, remove, and use that form as a model to help you find a grip that fits your hands.

Just an idea.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I prefer this Hogue grip for the SP-101. They come in wood also. They are thin but longer and the angle seems to be right.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151344380/hogue-monogrip-grips-ruger-sp101-rubber

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
DT357-4.jpg

1351072905.jpg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The oversized finger groove is a new-ish grip from Altamont.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/sp101/

RODNUT

Bearcat
I tried several grips before trying the Pachmayr Diamond Pro. Now I don't have to search anymore. The grip fits very well in the hand and is a big improvement over any that i have used.

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
hittman said:
It's a personal preference thing that'll take some trial and error.

I predict you'll buy 3 grips and end up with 2 for sale.

That's okay .... it's a hobby; have fun.

That's spot on ..I tried the Hogue and then Pachmayr before I found the ones I like.

MZ5

Bearcat
To close the loop on this--

The Pachmayr Renegade wood grips, and the Pachmayr Diamond Pro rubber grips, offer the additional length (front to rear) I am looking for. They allow me to get a consistent and 'straight' grip on the gun.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions in response to my question.

RODNUT

Bearcat
Like the Diamond Pro well enough that i put them on my SRH and SP101. Good fit and they look good.