Hmmmm.................

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I had this .45 Colt Blackhawk out Saturday morning and experienced stiff extraction.

Usually this happens with old brass that has stretched and needs trimming. So checked case length of the fired rounds and they were well within spec.

After I got home and started to clean the gun, I noticed some crud at the base of the cylinder throat. Hmmm, bullet lube, I thought. But trying to remove the deposit quickly showed me it was a carbon build up.

So now to get some carburetor cleaner to soak the cylinder in. This gun has just over 10,000 rounds fired through it.

Bob Wright

mhblaw

Blackhawk
According to an article in the new Rifle magazine, Ballistol is the all purpose cleaner, and you can even drink it!...although not recommended.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I've used B-12 chemtool in a pinch. Works pretty good actually. Mostly on carbon and powder, not so much on copper fouling.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
O.K. I've drilled out the primer pocket on an empty .45 Colt case and tapped it for 1/4-20 UNC. I have a piece of 1/4" dia. rod threaded on the end and a lock nut. I slotted the mouth of the case and plan on running that into the chambers as sort of a cylinder hone.

We shall see.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hawkeye
That is basically what I do Bob. It happens a lot on used .357's that only have shot .38's. A nylon brush on a drill works too.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
MPro 7 makes a Shotgun choke (removable type) cleaner in a wide mouth plastic jar to soak them in. Works good on cyls. I can out two at a time in and tighten the lid. Then agitate it by setting it in my case tumbler.