KRBN-455W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45colt68

Bearcat
https://imgur.com/backUR5

Purchased around Spring of 2005. Has unusual grips. Look to be similar to spalted. Unusual for me from factory. With a 230 gr. Denny's flatpoint and a healthy dose of Unique is very accurate and hits plenty hard. Knife is Case trapper, around same time period. Regards, God Bless, Harry.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
That whole series of 5 1/2" stainless Bisleys are great. Nice size and that grip is a great handle. Try the 300 gr. LBT gas checked bullet and a healthy amount of H110 (consult your manual) and any thoughts of needing a .44 magnum will leave your head. I would not use anything near a max load in the medium frame guns, the cylinder walls are a lot thinner than yours.

Yours is an early gun by the warning on the side of the barrel. I believe those grips are rosewood. I pulled my KRBN-455W that has rosewoods and they are similar. Mine was test fired 1/5/07 and has the warning on the bottom of the barrel but is still a Southport gun.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
"Yours is an early gun by the warning on the side of the barrel.... Mine was test fired 1/5/07 and has the warning on the bottom of the barrel but is still a Southport gun."
----robertkirksey

Correction: single action tooling was moved from Southport CT, with production resuming in Newport NH in 1992.
David Bradshaw

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
David, I don't doubt what you say. All I know is what is stamped on the barrel. I recently got a letter on an early Model 77 and it stated the gun shipped from Newport. When I called I was told that Model 77s had always been made in Newport but the company got permission (from BATF?) to mark them with the Southport address.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
robertkirksey said:
David, I don't doubt what you say. All I know is what is stamped on the barrel. I recently got a letter on an early Model 77 and it stated the gun shipped from Newport. When I called I was told that Model 77s had always been made in Newport but the company got permission (from BATF?) to mark them with the Southport address.

The Model 77 rifle started in Newport NH, site of the foundry. Strum, Ruger started, of course, in Southport CT, which remained corporate headquarters, certainly through Bill Ruger, Jr.'s tenure, he retired in 2006. Don't know when manufacturing ceased at Southport, but Sturm, Ruger had expanded all it could at Lacey Place. Single actions and .22s pretty well filled Southport, with double actions, rifles, and the shotgun program set up in Newport. Auto pistols and a separate foundry were set up in Prescott. At one point half of Ruger's casting went to other firearms manufacturers and non-firearm products. It is my understanding that since Bill, Jr., retired, the supply of castings to outside manufacturing has ceased; this includes 60 million in titanium casting alone, with that high quality manufacturing headed up by Eric Unger (pictured in my photo essay of the memorial for Bill Ruger, Jr., 22 Sep 2018).

During development of the .357 Maximum in 1980-82, the difficult calving processor the Red Label over/under shotgun and Redhawk revolver in Newport, work began to install hammer forging machines for barrel making in factory on the Sugar River in Newport. Redhawk and GP-100 barrels begin as outsourced drop forgings, with Ruger performing all gun-drilling and machine work, etc. While the Blackhawk Maximum was made in Southport, near all testing was done in Newport, or, more specifically, at Bill Ruger's place in Croydon NH, adjacent Blue Mountain Forest.
David Bradshaw