New Blue SP .357 Snub

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DPris

Buckeye
The usual fixed-sight snub SP .357, but in blue, not stainless.
Announced today.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
Nope- they make 'em in stainless because people buy 'em in stainless.
If people buy 'em in blue, they'll make 'em in blue.
If people will buy 'em made in green cheese, they'll make 'em in green cheese.

They'll go where the money is. :)
Denis

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Not for me.

I prefer all my guns to be stainless unless there is no stainless option like the LCR.

Some may like it for the aesthetic value but IMO it is a downgrade. Stainless is plain better.

DPris

Buckeye
I already have a blue Chevy, so no interest in a blue SP for me. :D
Denis

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Personally I like the look of blued guns better than stainless, the new SP included. If I wanted a daily carry piece I'd probably prefer stainless, but I sure wouldn't turn down a blued SP at the right price.

If the dealer hadn't already sold the SP-101 I had my eye on when I went looking for a concealed-carry revolver, I likely wouldn't have bought my Airweight. However, the SP was gone when I came back with the cash and the guy had four J-frames in the case, so I bought the one with the best trigger and didn't look back. Still want a SP, though. :wink:

gunzo

Hunter
Folks wear denim jeans so much that I've often thought guns & holsters should be denim colored, aiding the concealment factor.
This blue(actually black or charcoal colored for guns) & brown, tan, oxblood, etc. for holsters thing, is not thinking outside the box at all.

FWIW, I do have an SP101 in 357 magnum. It's our master bathroom gun, so prudence is called for. It's stainless. :)

otis24

Bearcat
Mixed emotions on this one. Ruger already makes the GP in blue so why not the SP? I certainly wouldn't scoff at a blued S&W K frame or blue Security Six! I do like the durability of stainless steel. If I were shopping for an SP and a blue one was all I could find, or was priced considerably less, I would purchase it.

wagsfn

Bearcat
I really like my SP101 357 magnum in stainless steel. And I do prefer stainless over blue in the revolvers that I own. Maybe Ruger knows something that I don't concerning what sells and raises they're bottom line. I'm open to seeing what happens.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Nice. I live in a dry arid climate and corrosion is not a problem. Just an old, traditional guy that likes blue/carbon. But, will wait and see if they offer one chambered 38 only. I think this might be the first time I have seen the same guns blued and stainless with no price premium for the ss. Or is it no reduction for blued? Anyway they are the same price.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Who cares if you don't like blued SP101? It's clear Ruger doesn't. They already offer all the SP101 versions in stainless and you can buy one. They are targeting customers than want a blued SP101 by offering the best selling version blued. Ruger is not eliminating any stainless versions of the SP101, they are offering one model blued. All the folks that wrote the CEO and asked for a blued SP101 better buy one now. And all the collectors too. Because I predict nobody really wants a blued SP101 and they won't sell well enough to keep making them.

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
They have rumored about an Alloy version of the SP-101 for a few years.

However, this appears to be some alloy or carbon steel, and
not aluminum alloy.

The new blued gun is 26 ounces, the same as a stainless one.

No rel advantage for me to buy one IF I wanted to stick with
38/357.

I'm getting away from 38/357 and have one left.

I'll be spending my $$ on a stainless SP-101 in 9mm...
as a companion to this:
oct.jpg

Still, for someone who likes the SP1-101 and prefers a
darker revolver, then this new version might be just dandy.
rugcross.png

Latest posts