Blued ROA grip frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just bought a blued ROA at a gun show. The gentleman had two of them. One had an aluminum grip frame and the other was steel. I bought the steel one. My question is when were they made with aluminum and when did they switch to steel? Is either one more rare or more desirable than the other? Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Good choice!

Blued ROAs began production w/alloy grip frames.

In 1985 the steel grip frame with wide Super BH trigger became standard, so they're not rare.

Just like you chose the steel GF, most people who know the difference will likely find it more desirable and the wide trigger as well.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
sergeant206 said:
Hondo44,
Thank you for the information. I am happy with my choice. I am considering having the frame case colored. I appreciate your reply.

Its your grip frame so do what you want to with it. But for me, I prefer the blued grip frame with the case hardened cylinder frame....

Just looks more like an old Colt that way....

Bob Wright

Thanks Bob,
I should have been more clear on that statement. I was referring to the frame of the revolver. I agree to leave the grip frame blued as is. The blued Old Army should look great with a CC receiver. Thanks for the pictures, those look perfect with those grips! Thanks again

Hondo44

Hawkeye
sergeant206 said:
Thanks Bob,
I should have been more clear on that statement. I was referring to the frame of the revolver. I agree to leave the grip frame blued as is. The blued Old Army should look great with a CC receiver. Thanks for the pictures, those look perfect with those grips! Thanks again

You were perfectly clear, you said frame, not the grip frame. I agree the cch frame would be an ideal improvement to the ROA!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
You were perfectly clear, you said frame, not the grip frame. I agree the cch frame would be an ideal improvement to the ROA!

You're right, of course. As he was talking about the guns having two different grip frames, I read that into the conversation. Failed to pick up on the fact he was referring to the two revolvers.

I'm not usually that dense. Not as swift on the uptake as I was sixty or seventy years ago!

Bob Wright

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I like the steel blue GF with the wide trigger slot..........Why? Because they fit on the Hawkeye 256 SS and replace the dragoon frame on the OM SBH. Of course, one can be place on any Old Model single action perhaps with a few mods......... 8)

Latest posts