New GP100 offering - 5" blued 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Lipsey's just announced a 10mm version of the 5" blued half lug configuration. I've seen very little discussion of it. Just like the .44Spl below except a fluted six shot. I don't know about anyone else but this is the configuration I've been waiting for. Ordered mine yesterday, Lipsey's showed 9 in stock. Any thoughts or opinions?

Ropers%20003b.jpg

9x19

Hunter
I enjoy my .357 version, but I just don't have any need a 10mm revolver would fill.

tNw8ec9.jpg

TRanger

Blackhawk
It's too bad such a revolver wasn't introduced a half century ago. I think this is the weapon Keith, Skelton, and Jordan were envisioning for law enforcement; not the .41 Magnum. Still an appealing sixgun.

eveled

Hawkeye
Does it use moon clips? If it can shoot 40 Cal too, it would be a good gun for the folks who get 40 Cal free.

Other than that, I'll stick with .357/.38

rangerbob

Buckeye
The 5" blued 10mm GP-100 is SKU 1781. I comes with 3 moon clips and it will shoot 40's or 10mm's. Lipsey's had some in stock this afternoon when I checked last. I have the MC 4.2" in 10mm in SS. I almost ordered one this afternoon, but I had car insurance this month. I have the mate to it in 44 Special. This one would be the one to rechamber to 10 mm Magnum. Bob!! 8)

I am not a fan of using semi auto ammo in revolvers. I just don't see the need. Surely you can find a straight walled cartridge that fits your needs? I guess "diversity" is fun?
gramps

Rclark

Hunter
I like the wood grips over the rubber that is found on most gp-100s :) . And it is blued... that's a plus. But I have no use for semi-auto rounds in a revolver. .44 Special now ... That's the perfect cartridge for it. That said, enjoy it! We all have our perferences!

rangerbob

Buckeye
About the only rimmed revolver cartridge that would work just right is the 401 PowerMag in the GP-100. The 38-40 and the other proprietary wildcats are too big to get six in the cylinder. Of course, my choice is the 41 Special in a MC format. It produces the most power one can get in a 6 shot GP-100. Maybe, one day!!!Bob! :mrgreen:

rangerbob said:
The 5" blued 10mm GP-100 is SKU 1781. I comes with 3 moon clips and it will shoot 40's or 10mm's. Lipsey's had some in stock this afternoon when I checked last. I have the MC 4.2" in 10mm in SS. I almost ordered one this afternoon, but I had car insurance this month. I have the mate to it in 44 Special. This one would be the one to rechamber to 10 mm Magnum. Bob!! 8)

I don't think it'll shoot 40 S&W, at least reliably. The 10mm cartridge headspaces off the case mouth in the GP100, not off the moon clip.

grobin

Blackhawk
Moon clips are a workaround which makes a modern cartridge act like a rimmed one. Their problem is not reliability, but lowered accuracy (well something else to loose). The ability of modern revolvers to headspace off the case let's them fire any cartridge without penality.

Whether or not being able to use a rimmless cartridge is a big deal depends. In some cases-e.g. 9mm-a more capable, less expensive cartridge is a good reason.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Since most people don't reload, with the price of 40 ammo going down at sometimes 1/2 of what 10mm costs, it provides a lower cost option for shooters. It may not be as accurate, but how many millions of rounds of 38 Specials have been shot in 357 Magnums over the last 70 years. Bob! :D

rangerbob said:
Since most people don't reload, with the price of 40 ammo going down at sometimes 1/2 of what 10mm costs, it provides a lower cost option for shooters. It may not be as accurate, but how many millions of rounds of 38 Specials have been shot in 357 Magnums over the last 70 years. Bob! :D

Yes, but 357 and 38's both headspace off the rim. .40 and 10mm headspace off the case mouth. Because of that, the 40 S&W will not work reliably in the Match Champion.

grobin

Blackhawk
40 and 10mm headspace off the case mouth. Because of that, the 40 S&W will not work reliably in the Match Champion.

Not so. The moon clips only affect reliability if you loose one. Generally they are less accurate than a proper cylinder. But not enough to make any difference in the real world!

grobin said:
40 and 10mm headspace off the case mouth. Because of that, the 40 S&W will not work reliably in the Match Champion.

Not so. The moon clips only affect reliability if you loose one. Generally they are less accurate than a proper cylinder. But not enough to make any difference in the real world!

Really? Because this review contradicts that:

https://revolverguy.com/psa-40-sw-in-the-10mm-gp100/

rangerbob

Buckeye
Please review Jeff Quinn's review on the MC 10mm dated 4/27/18. He had his review revolver rechambered to 10mm Magnum. He was able to shoot 40's, 10mm's, and 10mm Magnums with moon clips. As soon as I empty my 33 moon clips which are loaded with 10mm's, I'll try some 40's and report. Bob!! 8)