32 HR Magp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Over the weekend I carried my first grandson and his dad to the local gun shop just to get him acclimated to the addiction, while browsing around I noticed a as new Single Six in 32 Mag. I thought now would be a great time to buy him his first gun, he's 4 months old, never to early to start. I may have paid a little too much, but I believe it is unfired. Box papers and all for 499. My question is do I have anything special. Serial number puts it an 84 model. I really like the 32's but this is my first HR I have several 327's and enjoy loading and shooting those. I guess I'll have to get some HR brass and start a new caliber

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What barrel length?

I prefer the older blued 32 H&R guns. And have reamed several to shoot 327 (the bar/cyl accommodates the slight extra length of the 327 cartridge.

Someday he could upgrade his 32 H&R the same way in about 10 minutes.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have one too. I am going to have to start working with it more and plan on carrying it as a trail gun when we ride atv. I did reload for it a long time ago but its just been sitting in the safe for a long time. They are sweet. Flat shooting, accurate and no recoil.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
What barrel length?

I prefer the older blued 32 H&R guns. And have reamed several to shoot 327 (the bar/cyl accommodates the slight extra length of the 327 cartridge.

Someday he could upgrade is 32 H&R the same way in about 10 minutes.

Hondo it is just as the one pictured above, 4 5/8. Reaming it might be an option. That way I could use 327 brass and download to 32 HR, which is what I do with the 327

J. R. WEEMS

Single-Sixer
I believe this one to be about the same time period. I am not much on collector things as such so several years ago I fitted a brass grips frame, sold the original and added some Sambar Stag stocks. The brass adds a bit of weight but that suits me just fine. Knife is a 'Ray Beard #16, before he was in the Guild' s gift from an old hunting buddy. :lol:

large.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
lolbell said:
Hondo44 said:
What barrel length?

Someday he could upgrade is 32 H&R the same way in about 10 minutes.

Hondo it is just as the one pictured above, 4 5/8. Reaming it might be an option. That way I could use 327 brass and download to 32 HR, which is what I do with the 327

Cool, you got the best barrel llength IMO.

And after reaming to 327, he could still shoot 32 H&R in it. Like shooting 38 in a 357.

32magfan

Blackhawk
lol bell,

You did well. The H&R is a great little round and you have a really good platform to shoot it in. I got my first one in 1985 from my father and it started me on a wonderful adventure of acquiring handguns and reloading for them. The .32 H&R practically begs to be reloaded. Look for a source for 115 gr. RNFP cast bullets or get a good mold to cast your own.

I have several .32's and 327's and I really enjoy shooting them. They are handy guns and a great way to start new shooters with low recoil.

Enjoy your new purchase and good job on starting your grandson out right :wink:

32Magfan

bogus bill

Hunter
I have read up the rave reviews on the .327 mag. I am considering having my .32 H&R mag reamed to the .327. Is there any downside to doing it outside of lowering the resale value to a purist blue nosed collector? I doubt there is over a box or so shot through my single six. I bought it used but it didn't look fired. I have RCBS dyes for the .32 H&R. Would I need to buy another dye if I want to reload and shoot 327 mag? Who might ream it out, or can I buy a reamer and try it myself?
Would I have to stay with a lighter short bullet or can I get the full benefits of all bullets and factory bullets due to the slightly shorter cylinder than those made for the .327 mag? Lets get into this! Thanks!

z1r

Single-Sixer
bogus bill said:
I have read up the rave reviews on the .327 mag. I am considering having my .32 H&R mag reamed to the .327. Is there any downside to doing it outside of lowering the resale value to a purist blue nosed collector? I doubt there is over a box or so shot through my single six. I bought it used but it didn't look fired. I have RCBS dyes for the .32 H&R. Would I need to buy another dye if I want to reload and shoot 327 mag? Who might ream it out, or can I buy a reamer and try it myself?
Would I have to stay with a lighter short bullet or can I get the full benefits of all bullets and factory bullets due to the slightly shorter cylinder than those made for the .327 mag? Lets get into this! Thanks!

Me, I'd leave the 32 H&R as is and buy a new Lipsey's light weight 327. Just my 2 centavos. I like my original 4 5/8's SSM just the way it is. I rather like the added weight of the steel grip frame on my Single Seven. But for those wanting a lighter option, that Lipsey's lightweight seems like the answer.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
32magfan said:
lol bell,

You did well. The H&R is a great little round and you have a really good platform to shoot it in. I got my first one in 1985 from my father and it started me on a wonderful adventure of acquiring handguns and reloading for them. The .32 H&R practically begs to be reloaded. Look for a source for 115 gr. RNFP cast bullets or get a good mold to cast your own.

I have several .32's and 327's and I really enjoy shooting them. They are handy guns and a great way to start new shooters with low recoil.

Enjoy your new purchase and good job on starting your grandson out right :wink:

32Magfan

I have several 32s myself, all 327s. I have a couple of Blackhawks, a couple of Single Sixes, a SP101, a GP100 and a Henry. I cast a RCBS 98 SWC that shoots well in all but the Single Sixes, it's too long to crimp in the crimp groove. In the shorter 32HR that bullet should load and shoot well.

I purchased 1,000 115grn RN Hunter's Choice bullets that I am loading for the SS right now but have acquired a RCBS 90RNFP that I am eager to try in the SS when it cools off enough to cast here in Alabama, it was 96F here day before yesterday with 90% humidity. I just can't make myself break out the new mold in this weather.

If I could figure out how to post pictures here I would show off the 32HR Mag and one of his big brothers the 327 Blackhawk Pinto

Hondo44

Hawkeye
z1r said:
Me, I'd leave the 32 H&R as is and buy a new Lipsey's light weight 327. Just my 2 centavos. I like my original 4 5/8's SSM just the way it is. I rather like the added weight of the steel grip frame on my Single Seven. But for those wanting a lighter option, that Lipsey's lightweight seems like the answer.

What Lipsey's light weight 327 are you referring to?

The blue 4 5/8" single seven?

G2

Hunter
Should be noted one of the original reasons for going with 7 in the 327 was to location of the bolt notches/ cylinder chamber.
The Single Seven also has a slightly longer cylinder to accommodate the slightly longer cartridge.

Custom 327 cylinders have been the "correct" way to convert a 32M, but when one takes this this plan of action common sense finally sets in because your ~75% money spent on just adding a S7 to your arsenal.

BOTTOM LINE; Read and study a little bit on Ruger ONLY 32M loads and it made me wonder why ream,,,, to gain a few 100 FPS. :roll:

My dedicated 327M.
413078562.jpg

CAUTION: leave these critters locked up in the safe too long and backups show up. :shock:
413575956.jpg

biglmbass

Bearcat
Nice pair, Hunter. I especially like that on on top. Is that a factory configuration (5 1/2" #06518), but for the grips & front sight? Wish I could find a stainless .32 single six w' adjustable sights.

G2

Hunter
biglmbass said:
Nice pair, Hunter. I especially like that on on top. Is that a factory configuration (5 1/2" #06518), but for the grips & front sight? Wish I could find a stainless .32 single six w' adjustable sights.

No, it's a model#8160 - S7/327M - 5.5"
Customized Front Sight, Bisley Hammer, Thinned Trigger, BM #5 Basepin, Cresent ERB and yep some plain o'l cheese grader grips. :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
G2 said:
Custom 327 cylinders have been the "correct" way to convert a 32M, but when one takes this this plan of action common sense finally sets in because your ~75% money spent on just adding a S7 to your arsenal.

Yeah, might just as well by the real thing if one wants goes to a custom cyl unless they just don't mind paying more to keep the traditional look.

G2 said:
BOTTOM LINE; Read and study a little bit on Ruger ONLY 32M loads and it made me wonder why ream,,,, to gain a few 100 FPS.

One benefit of reaming a 32 H&R Mag SS is for non-handloaders who just want to shoot off-the-shelf 327. The other benefit is a traditional look with 6 shot fluted cyl, and in a blue gun which has only been recently available in 327.

G2

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
One benefit of reaming a 32 H&R Mag SS is for non-handloaders who just want to shoot off-the-shelf 327. The other benefit is a traditional look with 6 shot fluted cyl, and in a blue gun which has only been recently available in 327.

All good points, I agree with the off the shelf ammo, especially the AE 100gr 1500fps 327M. That is hard hitting ammo.

When it comes to 32HRM, it just calls for custom RO loads. Should be mentioned the 32HRM was dialed back in the early days, because it was blowing up inferior built revolvers. Probably a big reason the 327M was developed, to bring out ALL the great characteristics of the .32 platform.

I like 32HRM's too.. :D

3ruger32s.jpg

32shooter

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
z1r said:

What Lipsey's light weight 327 are you referring to?

The blue 4 5/8" single seven?
I was wondering the same thing??