Well this is my new project..Ruger 44 Mag Elmer Keith Homage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Well as some of you know...i got this very nice like new 1961 Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag..6.5" but it had a poorly installed scope mount...directly to the barrel...i was able to buy the gun at a great price due to this....after much research when i was waiting to receive this...i realized i wanted to make this a 4 5/8" like the first Ruger Blackhawk my dad had got me when i was a kid...
little did i know how much this would entail ...but i am very happy so far with the results...see what u think...it has a long way to go and it will be in pieces here very soon as some of the parts are being sent off for work...just all mocked up...God Bless,John

here is what i started with last Easter Weekend....
UHBfgHgl.jpg

FmmVLMQl.jpg

B3jRy9Wl.jpg

here is the barrel i removed...
HrLLiZdl.jpg

here it is all mocked up...
jFqdc2Tl.jpg

7zv7hKtl.jpg

wSnmNmql.jpg

7Wi3KiLl.jpg

kiI1dOXl.jpg

MdTvd4ol.jpg

and here is my inspiration
CrMhuqKl.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's a true classic configuration and one Ruger should have made from the get go.

I suspect your mock up uses a different caliber barrel in the 4 5/8" length until you get a 44 barrel correctly configured and installed.

A brass grip frame will serve you much better than the original XR3, Colt size grip, both with its weight and size.

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well thank u for the kind words...yes the barrel is period correct 357 type 2 and it is going out to be rebored in 44 mag and i currently like the grips and grip frame but i might in the future add the brass frame and grips...this now also remind me of a Christy Gun works gun both my Father and my Uncle owned in my youth...everyone who has seen in so far really seems to like it as well...i sure wish Ruger had made this configuration back when these were new to everyone...God Bless,John
i will post more info once the barrel returns and i get it all back together again...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Any replacement steel grip frame swapped for the alum alloy will help dampen recoil. There's three steel choices besides the standard Super BH Dragoon:

Same as you have, XR3 size in blue or polished stainless on this New Vaquero:
medium800.jpg

XR3-RED size, in blue or polished stainless on this Old Model mid frame converted to 44 Spl:
orig.jpg

Super Blackhawk Hunter, dragoon size with round trigger guard, stainless only, on this SBH:
xlarge.jpg

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well thank u for the kind words and the advice with the grip frame...i agree that i prefer the metal grip frame...i love the grips i have and hope to find a XR3 steel grip frame...i agree it would help and to me...i would prefer it...so if anyone knows of one for sale...please let me know...just needs to be able to be blued...God Bless,John

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Any replacement steel grip frame swapped for the alum alloy will help dampen recoil. There's three steel choices besides the standard Super BH Dragoon:

medium800.jpg

XR3-RED size, in blue or polished stainless on this Old Model mid frame converted to 44 Spl:
orig.jpg

Super Blackhawk Hunter, dragoon size with round trigger guard, stainless only, on this SBH:
xlarge.jpg

so any of these will work on my frame...very cool...i thought there was some difference in the trigger assy to make it work...just so i am clear...if i can find a New Vaquero blued grip frame...i can change all of parts over to it and it will bolt on?...no modifications?....

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
Do not shy away from SS grip frame if thats all you can find, they can be made
to match made to mach
by a proper gunsmith

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well just a few updates....i was able to finally get some more parts and get closer to the end with this one...
here is the beautiful George Lawrence Holster and belt i was able to get...reminds me so much of my youth...
qYZm87Gl.jpg

HbXibfil.jpg

Vdeb2U3l.jpg

hAXn8LQl.jpg

qY4b7bAl.jpg

and i was finally able to make my dream of a Brass frame....really wanted one like Elmer had..but after handling one and the costs...and having these beautiful stag grips i have...i thought there would be no way to make it work...well i think i have found a good solution to make this all work together...i was gifted a Uberti Cattleman brass frame...size is almost identical to a Colt SAA...everything is just mocked up and grips are loose
sfZ4rswl.jpg

uaTubHLl.jpg

f74m6eQl.jpg

ZKe5X4Sl.jpg

vp3jxXZl.jpg

0sJ9AgXl.jpg

0NUIDorl.jpg

God Bless,John

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well just some more info...i got this all down to my local gunsmith....great guy...i am looking to put a Ruger Bearcat mainspring assy in to eliminate the problem with the original one taking up the space where the grip screw goes...i am leaning very hard at making this a one piece grip gun too and adding the factory medallions to them.....always loved that look with no fasteners...and i think the bearcat spring assy will allow me to make that happen too...
thank u all for the kind words...love the encouragement...God Bless,John

2AkzFXhl.jpg

3ebixyzl.jpg

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
jringo8769 said:
Hondo44 said:

medium800.jpg

orig.jpg

xlarge.jpg

so any of these will work on my frame...very cool...i thought there was some difference in the trigger assy to make it work...just so i am clear...if i can find a New Vaquero blued grip frame...i can change all of parts over to it and it will bolt on?...no modifications?....

You need to make a block to contain the spring and plunger that pushes the trigger forward. It has come up before. You should be able to do a search here on the forum to get the instructions.