Well this is my new project..Ruger 44 Mag Elmer Keith Homage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well i am way past that problem now with the new frame...but thank u for the response...i think we have finally worked out everything but the mainspring and strut...but i think i have a solution for that too...and wait till u see the one piece grips on a RBH too...hope this works...God Bless,John

Hondo44

Hawkeye
John,

I presume you mean the new brass GRIP frame. What's the potential solution? The standard ruger spring and strut will work as easy as the bearcat's but be of the correct size and spring tension. Brazing a ruger spring support cut from a ruger grip frame or fabricated, to the front grip strap works well. Or screwed to the hammer spring hole in the cattleman front strap.

That cattleman will work with your original ruger trigger if you drill a hole in the front grip strap right behind the trigger for the original trigger return spring and plunger.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
jringo8769 said:
well just some more info...i got this all down to my local gunsmith....great guy...i am looking to put a Ruger Bearcat mainspring assy in to eliminate the problem with the original one taking up the space where the grip screw goes...i am leaning very hard at making this a one piece grip gun too and adding the factory medallions to them.....always loved that look with no fasteners...and i think the bearcat spring assy will allow me to make that happen too...
thank u all for the kind words...love the encouragement...God Bless,John

2AkzFXhl.jpg

3ebixyzl.jpg

That's a beautiful piece of wood ~ I wouldn't mess it up with medallions!

Bob Wright

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
John,

I presume you mean the new brass GRIP frame. What's the potential solution? The standard ruger spring and strut will work as easy as the bearcat's but be of the correct size and spring tension. Brazing a ruger spring support cut from a ruger grip frame or fabricated, to the front grip strap works well. Or screwed to the hammer spring hole in the cattleman front strap.

That cattleman will work with your original ruger trigger if you drill a hole in the front grip strap right behind the trigger for the original trigger return spring and plunger.

well hello again......well are u familiar with the Power Custom frames?...i see they make a frame that is able to use a one piece set of grips with some modification according to Bowen Customs website...but at great costs....i was hoping to find a cost effective solution for guys like me with lots of ideas and little funds......and yes i will be tig brazing the front hole with some silicone bronze rod and relocating it back closer to the trigger guard and i will be drilling the trigger guard to have the plunger and spring like the original xr-3 frame...the reason for the Ruger Bearcat mainspring and strut were to get around the interference of it being where the grip screw is...but if i go with the one piece grips or modify the frame like it is shown on the Power Custom one..i will not have to worry about it...i have never seen the one piece grips for a Ruger and many have told it is not possible...
To the strut mounting base...i am going locally to have a mount made with a waterjet and attach to the mainspring hole...nice and simple...maybe all of this has been solved....but i find nothing shown online with all of my questions asked and searches performed...so i apologize if this all old new...Merry Christmas...John

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
jringo8769 said:
well just some more info...i got this all down to my local gunsmith....great guy...i am looking to put a Ruger Bearcat mainspring assy in to eliminate the problem with the original one taking up the space where the grip screw goes...i am leaning very hard at making this a one piece grip gun too and adding the factory medallions to them.....always loved that look with no fasteners...and i think the bearcat spring assy will allow me to make that happen too...
thank u all for the kind words...love the encouragement...God Bless,John

2AkzFXhl.jpg

3ebixyzl.jpg

That's a beautiful piece of wood ~ I wouldn't mess it up with medallions!

Bob Wright

well yours are a beautiful set of grips...
i dont know why but i love factory Ruger Medallions...but i am sure you are right...it would take away from the beauty of the wood....
thank u for the kind words....God Bless,John

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well sorry i have not given a update in a while...not been feeling the best...so today i was feeling a little better and did a little work...see what u all think...i have scrapped the stag grips...they are fantastic grips....but i have recently decided i wanted a one piece grips and after much debate...and a new friend giving me much needed encouragement...i did this...it is all mocked up and i will need to do some modifications to make everything work and look how i like...it feels so good in your hands...it does add some weight to the gun..which i personally love...thanks in advance God Bless,John
i think here in the future i will have someone find me some Cow Bone and make a one piece set like Elmer had with the medallions too...
but i am very pleased how this is coming along
5BX8o1pl.jpg

pVveSKkl.jpg

7eayRf0l.jpg

atVRz8fl.jpg

cFL08Zol.jpg

wjpnjaLl.jpg

B18YNrrl.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi John,

Bravo on your progress so far. It does look very good!

I don't understand the problem with a grip screw and the Ruger coil hammer spring, however. All Rugers have always had grip screws used with its coil spring. The grip screw always goes behind the main spring.

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well thank u for the kind words....it has been a lot of fun getting it to this point.....this Ruger will still have a coil mainspring...and thanks to a new friend...it will now have these one piece grips...with me changing the frame...the coil spring and the original grip screw location were in the same place..the one piece has eliminated this problem...thank u for the kind words...it is very hard for me to do this work as i have been very ill and things are going slow...but i was almost to the point to abandon it and this has given me a new push to complete it...i bought this Blackhawk on last Easter Weekend...i am hoping to have it completed by the first of summer...just waiting for my Barrel to make it back...
God Bless,John

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well another quick update....after much wait...my barrel is back and hass been rebored to 44 magnum....so now i have a factory 4 5/8" co barrel that is 44 magnum....i still have it fitted and will start to address the mainspring issue...but that is for another day...see what u all think...God Bless,John

tj6g9Owl.jpg

ySDGLCrl.jpg

dUvllBAl.jpg

GpQcAqal.jpg

MMVY5C6l.jpg

QWL9MVLl.jpg

ztEElLRl.jpg