Gp100 3in vs sp101 3in. Both in .357 and stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steveyb1960

Single-Sixer
Not to sound like a boring buyer of a new gp100, but i have the sp101 along with the gp100. Ok finally the question. If you had to choose one to sell for lets say bills for exmple, which one will go for sale? Havent shot the gp100 yet. Being the gp has one more round i am sure will come into play. Got them both in a trade at seperate times. Which one is better quality? Reliability? Better resale value in excellent condition. I know i know, which one do I handle better. Asking for comments from those of you that shot both. Thanks

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The GP stays, the SP goes. +The GP is easier to shoot, has a better action, is stronger and more durable and has an extra round. - The GP is heavier and not a good candidate for concealed carry.

Resale value? About the same for both and not as high as you'd hope.

Steveyb1960

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
The GP stays, the SP goes. +The GP is easier to shoot, has a better action, is stronger and more durable and has an extra round. - The GP is heavier and not a good candidate for concealed carry.

Thanks

You don't say what you use them for but I assume, being they are both 3" barrels, you use these for concealed carry. If that's the case I'd keep the SP and sell the GP. I really like my SP's, even though they are heavier than the standard, they are smaller and easier to conceal. Which one are you more attached to? You are asking other people for a pretty personal decision. I like them both. I'd have a hard time getting rid of either one, frankly.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
GP for the range, SP for carry.

The 3inch is not the best choice for a range gun IMO, and the GP is a bit large for carry, although doable.

3inch is a great length for carry, IMO.

It all boils down to what you like and what you want to do with it.

Keep in mind that you are likely to have more of an affinity for a new acquisition than something you have owned a while, unless you have become quite attached to the older item. Just like a scratch on a new firearm is likely to be more gut wrenching that one on a firearm you have had for years and gotten used to.

The only issue I had with the pup's 101 is the back of the trigger guard hit one of my fingers hard enough to make it sore after 20 or 30 rounds. She wanted a set of Hogues for it, and that took care of the issue for me. As I stated in a recent post, the more I shoot her SP, the more I want one for myself.

Steveyb1960

Single-Sixer
Clovishound said:
GP for the range, SP for carry.

The 3inch is not the best choice for a range gun IMO, and the GP is a bit large for carry, although doable.

3inch is a great length for carry, IMO.

It all boils down to what you like and what you want to do with it.

Keep in mind that you are likely to have more of an affinity for a new acquisition than something you have owned a while, unless you have become quite attached to the older item. Just like a scratch on a new firearm is likely to be more gut wrenching that one on a firearm you have had for years and gotten used to.

The only issue I had with the pup's 101 is the back of the trigger guard hit one of my fingers hard enough to make it sore after 20 or 30 rounds. She wanted a set of Hogues for it, and that took care of the issue for me. As I stated in a recent post, the more I shoot her SP, the more I want one for myself.
Thanks

Steveyb1960

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:

Thank you

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Not meaning to sound gruff but,,,,, .You should be out shooting them, side by side , with the same ammo. Take turns carrying them in the rig you have for them.
That will tell you real quick which one you like and shoot best with and which carries best in YOUR style.
Nothing else matters.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I agree with needsmostuff, it comes down to which one is right for you and your needs. All I will add is that my GP100 is a pleasure to shoot even with full bore .357 rounds. I shot a friends SP101 once, and that was enough. It was unpleasant to shoot, but then I'm a smaller older guy and not a big strong young guy.

Jim

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
A lot depends on what you use it for. I carry a handgun in the woods mostly for bears. That gun gets a lot of carry and not a lot of field shooting. So that is my SP or my semiauto. Both are carry size, so they don't get in my way when I'm working. If I were carrying for hunting, then the GP would stay. I use a smaller and lighter gun for everyday carry, as the SP pulls my pants down. Another consideration would be which one feels better in your hand.
If it's for your collection, it's your call.
Bfly

Steveyb1960

Single-Sixer
Black Fly said:
A lot depends on what you use it for. I carry a handgun in the woods mostly for bears. That gun gets a lot of carry and not a lot of field shooting. So that is my SP or my semiauto. Both are carry size, so they don't get in my way when I'm working. If I were carrying for hunting, then the GP would stay. I use a smaller and lighter gun for everyday carry, as the SP pulls my pants down. Another consideration would be which one feels better in your hand.
If it's for your collection, it's your call.
Bfly
Thanks

A.J.

Single-Sixer
They're both great guns. It all depends upon what sorts of guns you currently own.

I'd keep the GP. Why? Because I already have three small carry revolvers (5 shot, 2" barrel). If you don't currently own a good carry revolver, then I'd keep th SP.

wagsfn

Bearcat
Steveyb1960 said:
Not to sound like a boring buyer of a new gp100, but i have the sp101 along with the gp100. Ok finally the question. If you had to choose one to sell for lets say bills for exmple, which one will go for sale? Havent shot the gp100 yet. Being the gp has one more round i am sure will come into play. Got them both in a trade at seperate times. Which one is better quality? Reliability? Better resale value in excellent condition. I know i know, which one do I handle better. Asking for comments from those of you that shot both. Thanks

If I was you, I'd sell the GP100 3" and keep the SP101 3". Actually if it was me, I'd keep both. My stainless SP101 @ 26oz is a 2.250" barrel length and is a great hunting companion in my tree stand inside my Garrett kydex OWB Silent Thunder holster. On the other hand, I've yet to find a holster for trail/hiking (which I very seldom do) for my brushed stainless GP100 Wiley Clapp Talo 3". But eventually I'll find something I like that will support this 36oz revolver into a great wilderness sidearm. Keep both or sell the GP100.

DaveShooter

Bearcat
wagsfn said:
Steveyb1960 said:

If I was you, I'd sell the GP100 3" and keep the SP101 3". Actually if it was me, I'd keep both. My stainless SP101 @ 26oz is a 2.250" barrel length and is a great hunting companion in my tree stand inside my Garrett kydex OWB Silent Thunder holster. On the other hand, I've yet to find a holster for trail/hiking (which I very seldom do) for my brushed stainless GP100 Wiley Clapp Talo 3". But eventually I'll find something I like that will support this 36oz revolver into a great wilderness sidearm. Keep both or sell the GP100.
Both are mighty fine revolvers- I have had them both at one time or another. Funny thing today I just placed a SP101 3" in lay-away to go along with my sp101 32 h&r mag 4" revolver- Ya can't go wrong as Rugers are tough as nails It just depends if which one U like the best is all that matters. :D

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
They're both great guns. I have a Security Six and a SP101...I would regret selling either. Like the GP my Six is a great field gun. My SP101 DAO is a great carry gun. Regets will come down the road if I ever parted with either.

Latest posts