Standard Barrel or Heavy Barrel Speed Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Can anyone tell me whether my 4" blued speed six has a standard or heavy barrel on it from the pic? That way I'll know if I have a model SS-34 or SS-34H .

Thx...

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
I'm also thinking the same thing based on the angle on front of the lug. I think the angle of the lug on the lighter barrel is more perpendicular to the barrel.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Funny you say that. This morning I thought of that too .... dah.... So I sent an email to Ruger with the serial number a few hours ago.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Not a Speed Six but a Security Six with a heavy barrel...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=269307

Actually, I have both a heavy barrel (stainless) Security Six and a standard barrel (blued) Security Six.
It may seem counterintuitive but, the tapered barrel is the heavy barrel. Note the longer half underlug. The taper nearly equals the width of the frame on the heavy barrel; the standard barrel does not. (See last picture on Page 2 within above link.)

I believe you have an SS-34.
Still, a nice-looking SS-34.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Tip,

I received a response yesterday from Ruger. Based on my SS serial number they say it's a heavy barrel SS-34H shipped on November, 1981. I see what you're saying though. I'm wondering if your stainless security six is something special.

Tip

Single-Sixer
lvtwentytwo said:
Tip,

I received a response yesterday from Ruger. Based on my SS serial number they say it's a heavy barrel SS-34H shipped on November, 1981. I see what you're saying though. I'm wondering if your stainless security six is something special.

I'm not sure about special, but I will tell you it is heavier. It has the same outer dimensions at the bore as the blued example, yet grows wider moving back to the frame. Maybe, I am semantically-challenged, here... Lol.
I can only tell you what I observe as an owner of both barrel types.

I hope this helps.

On another note: I see you're storing your beautiful blued Ruger in a foam padded case. That material will trap moisture and cause rust to appear on your blued finish. I've had it happen to me and it was a sickening feeling to learn I improperly stored a fine weapon. (I was 30 years younger, then!)

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
You're right. I bought it from a guy at work that way. Thank god we both have lived in desert (Las Vegas) where it's not that humid. I immediately cleaned it and put it in an anti-rust VCI bag. Luckily no damage. Since then the foam case has been trashed.

Tip

Single-Sixer
2m7dx6g.jpg

From page 51 of "The Standard Catalog of Ruger Revolvers" by Jerry Lee

-Not a heavy barrel.

Tip

Single-Sixer
lvtwentytwo said:
Is that your stainless?
No. That barrel is the same as found on my blued example seen in the above thread link.

As pictured in the book, this is the standard barrel, the same one on your blued example.

If you have a factory letter from Ruger for your blued example stating it has a heavy barrel, please confirm this.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Bill,

I sent Ruger Customer Service an email asking them if my serial number was a "heavy barrel" version. This is the text of the email they sent me back:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10095189
Yes it is a SS-34H. 158-064XX is a Speed-Six revolver .357 magnum, model number 01543, blued, 4" barrel, walnut round butt grip panels, fixed sights, shipped in November of 1981.
Ruger Customer Service

The "H" in SS-34H does stand for heavy barrel, right?

If you send me a PM with your email address I'd be happy to forward you the email they sent me.

Robert

choirboy

Bearcat
dhfj7l.jpg

This is a 150 series I used to own. It is obvious it isn't a heavy barrel.
otofvp.jpg

This is an RDA 34 HT (per Ruger letter) that I currently own.
Notice the different heights of the sight bases. I know the Speed Six front sight isn't ramped but there should be a corresponding difference in sight height if that helps any.
CB

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
You guys have got me thinking now that I shouldn't settle for an email response, and that I should ask them for a "letter." It can't hurt.

I'm going to request one right now via their Customer Service Center.

More to come.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Email sent this a.m. to Ruger:

Hi,

Would you be able to send me a letter that confirms my Speed-Six revolver .357 magnum, model number 01543 is a SS-34H "heavy barrel" version per your email response on August 15, 2018 that said:

"Yes it is a SS-34H. 158-064XX is a Speed-Six revolver .357 magnum, model number 01543."

There still seems to be some doubt amongst the Ruger owners that I associate with that my gun is a heavy barrel version. They say the only way to be sure is with a letter from Ruger that says so.

Thank you.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Well, received an email back from Ruger. The way to get a letter of authenticity is to fill out a form and mail it to them with $10. I'm going to think about this one.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Probably so.

I just sent Ruger Customer Service another email asking them to double check their records to verify it's a heavy barrel. More to come.

hittman

Staff member
If you had a S&W the letter would be $50.00. :shock:

$10 is well worth it.

The form is on their web site under customer service I believe.

https://ruger.com/pdf/letterOfAuthenticity.pdf

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=150997

The last 2 or 3 times I sent a letter request, I included a polite cover letter explaining exactly what I was looking to verify. Each time not only did I receive the letter but a lady there CALLED me to double check serial numbers, calibers, etc. That's a great personal touch for a purely customer service oriented and no direct profit item.