Ruger blackhawk internal lock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Asking for a friend. He has above gun with the internals locked and no key.
He called Ruger and no help. Any idea how to unlock this gun?
Jeff

338reddog

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Has he tried to use a key from another Ruger with the lock?
He does not have one. Supposedly Ruger said they didnt have one.
Hopefully someone here has dealt with this issue and can offer a helpful suggestion
Jeff

338reddog said:
Jeff
Jeff,

Brownells had them for $2.99. They might still be in stock. See link below.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/training-safety-gear/gun-locks/internal-lock-key-prod44206.aspx

grobin

Blackhawk
I'd try right away as the note says "No longer deliverable by the Factory". Looks pretty simple pretty much any locksmith should be able to unlock and disable it-assuming California's nutball laws permit it.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
As the key is unavailable (and apparently deemed a bad idea ) from Ruger do they ( or anyone else ) make any conversion parts to remove that worthless hunk of weight.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
How long has Ruger been putting internal locks on their handguns. I guess I am just behind the times. When you get Old & Fat you are just in the way.
ken

Hondo44

Hawkeye
needsmostuff said:
As the key is unavailable (and apparently deemed a bad idea ) from Ruger do they ( or anyone else ) make any conversion parts to remove that worthless hunk of weight.

Well they do, but just don't know it.

All you need is a bearcat spring seat and they'll send you a free one, just call 336-949-5200 and ask for part # PR5.
925417.jpg

Photo by Varminterror

The beauty of the Bearcat spring seat is that it disassembles the same way as the lock with the disassembly pin hole right below the spring so the spring never has to be dismounted from its strut, which can be a gruesome task for many.

To swap the Bearcat spring seat for the lock is the easiest swap there is. You don't even need to remove the grip frame, just the grips! After cocking the hammer, a disassembly pin like a nail is inserted into the spring strut hole thru the groove in the top edge of the lock. Now uncock the hammer so the spring and strut have play. This allows the lock to be wedged up and out of the grip frame, and off of the strut. Because the temporary pin used to hold the spring compressed, fits in the groove on the top of the lock, the spring is still captured on the strut.

Therefore the strut and spring assembly doesn't need removal from the hammer slot. More importantly, nor does the spring need to be dismounted from the strut like Ruger SAs w/o the lock, where the disassembly pin is inserted below the spring seat which is captured on the strut along with the spring.

With the regular spring seats captured on the strut with the spring, the grip frame must be removed or at least loosened to change spring weights. It's also more difficult to mount a spring and a seat on the strut, rather than just a spring.

Now once the lock is out of the grip frame, the Bearcat seat slips on the bottom end of the strut below the spring retaining pin. The Bearcat seat also has a round hole in it for the end of the strut, so once on the strut, it can be pivoted 90 degrees, strut and seat moved into position over the gap in the grip frame where the lock was, then pivoted 90 degrees onto the two shelves of the gap.

Now hold in place, cock the hammer, remove the spring retaining pin, and drop the hammer. Voila, all done. The seat doesn't overhang the gap where the lock was very much on either side but once the spring tension is applied, the seat is held tightly in place.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
JIM: Why in God's Green Earth, would Ruger do that. Was it to appease the lawyers. What does this lock look like. So I can check my Son and I`s Ruger Blackhawk`s and Old Model Vaquero`s
ken

338reddog

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
338reddog said:
Jeff

PM me with your friends or your address I'll send you one. ps
Thanks, Big Muddy already beat you to it. You guys are the best.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
needsmostuff said:

Well they do, but just don't know it.

All you need is a bearcat spring seat and they'll send you a free one, just call 336-949-5200 and ask for part # PR5.

Thanks for that. Got four of them heading this way .
Not free but real cheap.
I wanna see these locks gone.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
cpt-t said:
JIM: Why in God's Green Earth, would Ruger do that. Was it to appease the lawyers. What does this lock look like. So I can check my Son and I`s Ruger Blackhawk`s and Old Model Vaquero`s
ken
No doubt is was the lawyers.

Lock shown here below the hammer spring:

DSC00231.jpg

clemency

Bearcat
So aside from the fact that they're there, what exactly is the problem with these locks? Do they have an effect on how the gun operates? I have one on a single six, and I've never really worried too much about it.

grobin

Blackhawk
The locks are another knee jerk reaction to a school shooting. Many states require them but there was enough pushback that the cable locks were permitted. They make the gun useless if they are locked and another point of failure.