Thoughts on Redhawk in .45 Colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

atlas366

Bearcat
I somehow acquired a set of dies for .45 Colt and as sometimes happens in this hobby I'm looking for a revolver to feed. I'm not a single action guy, so I'm looking for a more modern revolver in this cartridge. The Redhawk seems to fit the bill. I thought if any group had opinions on the subject, it would be this one. Thank you for your input.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
Atlas366, shoot a pm to ACRYLICTNK, I bought 1 of my 45 Redhawks from him. Good guy to deal with, always gives forum members a good deal.
k2nd

atlas366

Bearcat
k2nd said:
Atlas366, shoot a pm to ACRYLICTNK, I bought 1 of my 45 Redhawks from him. Good guy to deal with, always gives forum members a good deal.
k2nd

Thanks for the lead! I need to sell an SP101 first.

smith1961

Blackhawk
k2nd said:
k2nd
+1
Mike is the man when it comes to buying a Ruger. You will definitely be glad you got a Redhawk too!
:mrgreen:

se3388

Bearcat
My thoughts, I want one. Now days they are very expensive and harder to find.

Steve.......

grobin

Blackhawk
Today you have few choices if you want a Red Hawk you get the 45 auto with a 5.5" barrel for ~ $800 and like it. If you get the BlackHawk you have a bunch of choices in 45 Colt for around $400. The modern single actions are much more effective than the double action. They can be safely carried cocked so the first shot will not only be more likely to hit it will be faster.

NikA

Buckeye
^^^ I have not idea what the above poster is talking about; may be conflating revolvers with semi-auto pistols. Either Redhawks (a DA/SA design) or Blackhawks (a SA design) can be fired single action. I believe the lock time on Redhawks is probably slightly faster, but the difference will be inconsequential for nearly any shooter.

Don't walk around carrying your revolver cocked. It is not remotely safe, and enough people know that that you will look like a complete idiot.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The 4.2" 45 Colt Redhawk #5027 is readily available. Sports South has 23 of them at closeout prices. This is the 45 Colt only version with the square butt grip. The also have the #5032 4.2" which is cut for moon clips so that 45 ACP can be used. I have one of the 5027 versions which I had cut for 1917 Style moon clips. It will fire 45 Colt, Scholfield, and Starlines's 45 SpeciaL With moon clips one can shoot 45 acp, gap, and 45 Win Mag. I call that pretty versatile. I don't know about carrying a single action cocked and why would one want to. Obviously, he's had no training or experience with good DA revolvers. I'm not aware of a 5.5" Redhawk in 45 caliber, although my owners manual list a 5.5 "barrel in the parts list. Bob!! 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
To LIL I appologize. Apparently Rugers Web site is off !!again. It only shows the
Redhawk®
Model 05032
45 Auto - Double-Action Revolver
When you do a search for
Double-Action Revolver and 45 Colt"

The versions you mention don't exist-except they do!

Nike "^^^ I have not idea what the above poster is talking about"! That's obvious. Thousands of folks carry Glocks this way, it's either that or work the slide. With the rugers there is no reason not to. They will not fire unless you pull the trigger!

rangerbob

Buckeye
The earlier version of the Redhawk has been discontinued, but some are still out there. Are we talking about single versus double action autos, or single action Ruger revolvers such as the Blackhawk versus DA revolvers such as the Redhawk, either in 45 Colt. I'm still confused. I don't know a Glock entered into the discussion on 45 Colt DA revolvers. Bob :?

NikA

Buckeye
Glocks and other striker-fired semi autos don't typically have triggers as light or with as short a pull as revolvers in single action. What's more, they have a mechanical lever in the middle of the trigger to prevent AD/ND when the trigger is manipulated by accident. Even then, there are plenty of AD/ND events attributed to striker-fired pistols without safeties. Single action semi-auto pistols have a half-cock notch (think Eastern bloc Tokarevs, etc.) or a safety, or are not designed to be carried (e.g., race guns).

Grobin, you would not be welcome to shoot anywhere near me if you were carrying a cocked revolver. I repeat my assertion that carrying in that manner is not safe, and should not be endorsed by anyone practicing proper gun safety.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Back to the original thread's question. One would be hard pressed to find a better 45 Colt DA revolver than the Redhawk. Colt made a few Anacondas in 45 Colt, my LE buddy had one with a 4" barrel, the only one I've ever seen. S&W 25-5's are out there, but they won't take the loads that the Redhawk will handle. I love my S&W's, but sold my last M25 Classic unfired. I failed to mention this in an earlier response. The current 45 Redhawk is the one with the round butt and uses Ruger moon clips for the 45 acp ammo. The Redhawk will handle any sane 45 Colt load. If more power is needed, get a 454, 480 or a rifle. Bob! :mrgreen:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
grobin said:
Today you have few choices if you want a Red Hawk you get the 45 auto with a 5.5" barrel for ~ $800 and like it. If you get the BlackHawk you have a bunch of choices in 45 Colt for around $400. The modern single actions are much more effective than the double action. They can be safely carried cocked so the first shot will not only be more likely to hit it will be faster.
To see such would scare the begeebers out of me!

atlas366

Bearcat
Well this turned in to an interesting discussion. Fortunately, I have a lot of experience with revolvers, both DA & SA. Though primarily DA. I just don't have anything in .45 Colt. I could never carry a revolver cocked, just thinking about makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I already have a .357 revolver & 1892 rifle pair, I really like the concept and the performance of some of my reloads in the rifle have been very impressive. Doing the same thing in .45 sounds like a fun challenge. I really appreciate all the input.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
atlas366 said:
I somehow acquired a set of dies for .45 Colt and as sometimes happens in this hobby I'm looking for a revolver to feed.

Bravo to you.
Having a set of dies is as good of reason as any to get a new handgun ,,,, and then a rifle to match of course.
But then again I have bought a revolver to fit some grips I had and having some orphan mags. has had me lookin at pistols I probably don't need.

Carry on Sir.

s4s4u

Hunter
The modern single actions are much more effective than the double action. They can be safely carried cocked so the first shot will not only be more likely to hit it will be faster.

Huh?

grobin

Blackhawk
Carry cocked? Why not?
No reason except knee jerk precautions leftover from a century ago.
Why?
The first shot gets off faster without the excessive trigger pull of a DA! Yes the DA can be carried cocked and avoid the double action-why bother with the double action then?

Latest posts