Ranblin' on.............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I'm still a bit puzzled, though losing non sleep over it, about my recent experience with my .44 Specials. First this one, a Three Screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum re-born as a .44 Special:

And this Johnny-come-lately Flat Top:

I had been using SR-4756 for a long time, but when I heard it was to be discontinued, I worked up a good accurate load, using 8.0 grs. HS-6 with a 230 gr. cast SWC from Missouri Bullets.

Recetly I was given a partial box of Speer 240 gr. swaged SWCs, maybe 100 gone out of the box. So I loaded a few with my 8.0 grs. of HS-6, but loaded some with 7.0 grs. Winchester 231. I've used 231 with great success in the past, so knew it was a time proven powder.

On a recent trip to the range, using the Three Screw, I fired, alternately, ten shot groups at ten yards, using a 2 3/4" dia. stick-on target. The HS-6 load shot as expected, but the 231 load keyholed dramatically at that distance. Comments here on another post suggested undersized bullets, too soft lead, or barrel leading. Note these bullets were from the same box, and loads were fired alternately.

This past Saturday, I used the same two handloads, but switched guns, going to the Flat Top. The results were that both loads shot with very good accuracy with no sign of keyholing from the 231 load. The 231 load grouped very well, printing maybe 1/2" lower at that distance that the HS-6 load.

For some unexplained reason, the Three Screw just didn't like the Speer bullet and 7.0 grs. of Winchester 231.

A rather painful realization has surfaced in that I don't shoot as well as I once did. I seem to see the sights well enough, but age seems to have played tricks on my muscles!

Bob Wright

bogus bill

Hunter
Bob, it`s a fact of old age. I have developed the shakes to where I am thinking of trying gold panning.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I was talking to my brother on the phone and he asked about our Dad's old "Luger". I said, you mean the Colt? He said, no, the Luger he had. I told him it was a Colt Challenger, and it's sitting in my safe as we speak. I'm pretty sure it was the only handgun he ever owned when my brother and I were around.

I guess the fixed barrel makes it look a little like a Luger.

grobin

Blackhawk
Checkout http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/09/ballistics-tip-understanding-bullet-stability-twist-rate-and-mv/
And other articles. I don't see any chronograph information what makes you think that velocities are the same?

What is the twist rate? If there is a significant difference that would explain things.
Also checkout http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
grobin said:
Checkout http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/09/ballistics-tip-understanding-bullet-stability-twist-rate-and-mv/
And other articles. I don't see any chronograph information what makes you think that velocities are the same?

What is the twist rate? If there is a significant difference that would explain things.
Also checkout http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

True, I don't have chronograph data. But loading data indicates the velocities are approximately 915 f.p.s. and 920 f.p.s. This plus the fact that felt recoil is equal for both loads, and groups are within 1/2" of each other.

This is a custom bored barrel on the Three Screw, bored by Dave Clements from a .357 Magnum barrel. So if twist rate were the culprit, bullets from both loads would behave the same way.

The fact remains, that the bullets are from the same box, and one loaded with HS-6 does fine, while the 231 tumbles.

Barrel leading? Then firing the next group of the HS-6 load would tumble also, but does not.

I no longer am able to chronograph, but from experience I get a good idea of velocity from the point of impact of the groups I shoot. My gun is sighted in for the 240 gr. bullet at 915 f.p.s. Even slight differences in velocity will print differently. The group of the 231 load prints 1/2" lower than my usual group, therefore I conclude a slight increase in velocity.

Not that I followed up these two loads with a second .44 Special and both shot normally.

Bob Wright

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Bob, I've chrono'd that 231 load (7 grains) pushing a home cast 240 gr. LSWC and got 920 fps in wheel weight alloy, (est. 9-11 hardness). Same gun, 4-5/8" Flat Top Ruger .44 Special. Accuracy was close to an inch at 25 yds. But I've never worked with HS6...so no data for that powder.

Based on your info, I'd guess at an undersized bullet with a too soft alloy. Even softer than my home cast wheel weight slug. Another guess is that the cylinder throats are markedly different, comparing one of your guns to the other, allowing gas blow by if the swagged bullet isn't big enough.

Lastly, checking the relative burning rate of HS6 vs. Win 231 in my Sierra manual (for 220 gr Jacketed bullets), and note that there's over 2.5 gr difference in top-level loads giving similar velocity. This leads me to wonder if you're getting heavy bullet base deformation with 231 that's just not happening with the slower burning HS6.

Just as an addendum, Win 231 is my favorite powder for the .44 Special with home cast 240 gr LSWC's when gilt edged accuracy is the goal. In my guns, 6.5 grains will produce sub 1.5" groups on demand from all four of my .44 Spls.: two Ruger blued Flat Tops, a SS Ruger Flat Top w/ 4-5/8" bbl. and a 6-1/2" Smith M24. Seven grains of Win 231 will give me chrono'd velocities identical to Skelton's famous load of 7.5 gr of Unique, and very similar accuracy.

HTH's Rod
As always, these are my loads, worked up for my guns, if interested, loaders should consult a good manual, and consider all the pressure implications.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
rodfac said:
Based on your info, I'd guess at an undersized bullet with a too soft alloy. Even softer than my home cast wheel weight slug. Another guess is that the cylinder throats are markedly different, comparing one of your guns to the other, allowing gas blow by if the swagged bullet isn't big enough.

Hold on, now. Note that this first manifested itself in the same gun. My Ruger Three Screw. The bullets were Speer swaged, the only difference was the powder used, and loads were shot alternately. Cylinder throats are fine, and have been since getting the gun back from Dave Clements some 9,000 rounds ago.

When I duplicated my firing, using a different gun, both loads shot exceptionally well.

Lastly, checking the relative burning rate of HS6 vs. Win 231 in my Sierra manual (for 220 gr Jacketed bullets), and note that there's over 2.5 gr difference in top-level loads giving similar velocity. This leads me to wonder if you're getting heavy bullet base deformation with 231 that's just not happening with the slower burning HS6.

If that be the case, then why don't I get base deformation when shooting the load in the Ruger Flat Top?

Bob Wright

grobin

Blackhawk
I don't see any reason why the twist rates would be the same. Slug the barrels! IME (LIMITED) is that estimates velocities can easily be off 20%. If you are near the edge of the stability reason that would do it. If you can try a reduced load with the same cases. Also check case weights and water volumes.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Numerous variables could be looked at as previously mentioned. For whatever reason it would seem that the 231 load is not generating as high of pressures in the three screw. A such the bullet is not expanding enough to engrave the rifling very well, in turn not stabilizing and keyholing. A quick look of reloading data shows 231 running at lower pressures than HS 6 to begin with so anything with the gun could compound the problem.

I encountered this with my Ruger #1 in 475 when trying to find a reduced load. Don't have data in front of me. But the end results were similar velocity loads performed very differently depending on the pressure generated by the powder. Low pressure powder loads would keyhole, recovered bullets barely had scratches from the rifling. Higher pressures either through a different powder or heavier loads would eliminate keyholeing and recovered bullets exhibited nice deep engraving of the rifling.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Just looked at Hodgdon's site and they no longer show any loads for Winchester 231 in the .44 Special, showing 244 instead. And Winchester only shows a 225 gr. bullet for the .44 Special with 231 powder. And both loading sites show pressures only up to 13,000 C.U.P for .44 Special loads.

But I rule out most culprits advanced so far.

Rifling twist: No problems encountered with this bullet using this barrel.

Undersize chamber throats: Not likely. They haven't shrunk in ten years.

Low pressure: Not likely. Worked well in second revolver.

Deformed bullet base/undersized bullets: All bullets from same box.

I'm left with the fact that my gun just didn't like 7.0 grs. of Winchester 231.

Bob Wright

Bob, I think the Win 231 load is too hot for the soft swaged bullets, and it's blowing the bullet right through the lands and grooves.

HP38 is the same powder as Win 231, and it shows 5.2 grains for a 240 grain cast SWC in 44 Special. Try backing the load down to 5 grains of 231. It's what I run for my load in the 44 special GP100 with the 240 grain cast bullets.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Laserbait said:
Bob, I think the Win 231 load is too hot for the soft swaged bullets, and it's blowing the bullet right through the lands and grooves.

HP38 is the same powder as Win 231, and it shows 5.2 grains for a 240 grain cast SWC in 44 Special. Try backing the load down to 5 grains of 231. It's what I run for my load in the 44 special GP100 with the 240 grain cast bullets.

Somehow, y'all seem to missing the point: This load shot fine in another Ruger Flat Top.

Recap:

Ruger Three Screw .44 Special: 240 gr. Speer, 8.0 grs. HS-6 ----Good load
240 gr. Speer, 7.0 grs. Win. 231--Keyholed

Ruger Flat Top New Model .44 Spl.: 240 gr. Speer, 8.0 grs. HS-6---Good load
240 gr. Speer, 7.0 grs. Win. 231--Good load

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Laserbait said:
I think you'd have a point if the barrels were cut from the same rifled blank.

That is not the case certainly. The .44 Flat Top is relatively new from the factory. The Three Screw .44 barrel was the original .357 Magnum rebored by Dave Clements. Both guns are capable of very fine accuracy and have proved themselves time and again with me.

Bob Wright

rjn

Bearcat
You are using a very soft bullet for a 23kpsi load (win 231). The HS-6 load is only at 15kpsi. Slight differences in front-end of the revolver results in keyholing or not keyholing. Simple as that.