Ruger GP100 357 & Ruger Match Champion 10mm -- Why?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Which would you rather have out of the two while hiking out on the trail and why?

I know these are rather heavy tank built like revolvers and there are plenty of polymer pistols that would fit this bill but I am asking about these two.

Always best to carry what you have and be prepared than not. :)

https://youtu.be/Skj6k9vSbR0

9x19

Hunter
My 4" stainless GP100 in .357 traveled a lot of miles with me when I lived in Colorado.

It's all about the holster and rig as far as comfort. I had a great holster (Bianchi UM84R) a good sturdy belt and suspenders.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
What (or who) are you expecting to need the gun for? If 4-legged predators or for hunting, the 10 mm is the better choice. For 2-legged problems, the .357 is more than adequate and has an extra round in the cylinder.

grobin

Blackhawk
The 357 has a great track record and I carried mine for years. Even took 3 deer with it. However the 10 mm has the advantage that companion PCC is available and it gives a bit more oomph. Yes a 9mm is adequate for griz; but it's marginal. In many states the 10mm PCC is legal for large game where the 357 is not. Overall that gives a slight edge to the 10mm. Either requires a good holster for comfortable carry.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I happen to have a pair of GP-100's, in 357 & a GP-100 in 10mm. Two of these guns are the MC variation.
As noted,, it depends upon what your needs are as to what you should consider as your choice of them.

I feel the 357 has a more versatile selection of ammo,, so I'd opt for that in most cases.

grobin

Blackhawk
One point I don't see made is ammo availability. Pretty much anywhere will have at least some selection in 357 or 44mag ammo. There will be a lot less 10mm, if any, and in some backward areas-California or Hawaii-it may not even be possible to get any shipped in.

grobin said:
One point I don't see made is ammo availability. Pretty much anywhere will have at least some selection in 357 or 44mag ammo. There will be a lot less 10mm, if any, and in some backward areas-California or Hawaii-it may not even be possible to get any shipped in.

A very valid point. I still buy most of my 10mm ammo online, as the local selection is pathetic, as well as ridiculously expensive. I know folks will say otherwise, and some will say it doesn't matter since they reload. But I still find decent 10mm ammo hard to find in a store.

This thread is an exercise of rhetoric. And I mean that in the most positive of intentions. You'll get as many opinions as there are responders. I own both .357 and 10mm revolvers. My .357's are run of the mill Smith's and Ruger's, in both SA and DA. My 10mm revolver is SA, just cuz I don't like messing with ejection crutches associated with the 10mm cartridge. For a feller that is experienced, and likely has a stable of everything imaginable, the 10mm revolver is just another choice. And the 10mm is quite potent for its size. For those that are maybe just looking for a few guns to cover many bases, I believe the .357 is a better choice. A .357, with 180 grain hard cast bullets, can also be a powerhouse of relatively small stature.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The two guns are so much alike I think it would be left to personal choice unless you have a preference in ammo.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I'd love to have GP-100s in both Wiley Clapp and Match Champion variants, both of which are available in .357 and 10mm from Ruger. Of the two calibers, I'd really prefer .357 since I already have shells for those; 10mm would require me to build a stash of yet another caliber of ammo. Not that I would turn down a 10mm GP if you gave it to me, mind . . . :lol:

Rclark

Hunter
Personal Choice. I have my preferences for woods carry. Kind of depends on where you plan to hike too.

jimd441

Blackhawk
ProfessoeWes makes a good point. For those of us that already have .357 (s), adding a 10 mm would require maintaining an inventory of yet another caliber. Since I shoot shotgun, rifle and handgun and like to keep a good supply of ammo for all my guns, I am loathe to add another caliber unless there is a truly compelling reason. For me, the 10 mm doesn't provide that reason.

Jim

AR-Trvlr

Bearcat
Go with whatever makes you happy. From a ballistic standpoint the difference is a rounding error when loaded to similar pressures.

dbarale

Obsolete
Well, I happen to have a pair of GP-100's, in 357 & a GP-100 in 10mm. Two of these guns are the MC variation.
As noted,, it depends upon what your needs are as to what you should consider as your choice of them.

Tyrone, have you shot it with .40 ammo? Any issues with accuracy or extraction?

grobin

Blackhawk
SteelBlue take a look at the Aero Survival Rifle. Ruger has only the PC9 and it's ammo limited.

BTW PCC=Pistol Caliber Carbine.

jackell

Bearcat
mr.revolverguy said:
Kriss Vector or Converted Lever Action in 10MM :)
Those Kriss Vectors are way too expensive, to bad the Ruger PC 9mm carbine doest come in more caliber's....357mag, 10mm 44mag??? all would be great.

Latest posts