New 7.5" 45 Colt. 45 ACP Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just received a new 7.5" Blackhawk with both cylinders for 45 Colt and ACP. For those you that may not know, it's a Distributor Exclusive through Williams Shooters Supply. It's the full size Blackhawk, not the Lipseys flat top. Between it and my big Redhawk 4" I can shoot all of those 92 Winchester carbine loads I have on hand. I can blame it all on being at home with my foot injury and watching too many episodes of Gunsmoke and Have Gun-Will Travel. Got to go now, I hear my 7.5" Vaquero calling. Bob!! :mrgreen:

grobin

Blackhawk
Sounds like fun. I find the 45 Colt easier to reload than the 45ACP. I'm glad to see that the folks here don't miss call the 45 Colt a 45Colt long. There never was a 45Colt short!I

Good shooting luckily you can shoot sitting down just fine.

LAH

Buckeye
I love Gunsmoke. And Bob you might enjoy this. http://www.oldradioworld.com/shows/Tales_Of_The_Texas_Rangers.php

rangerbob

Buckeye
My Bad, it's not stainless, but blue/black or whatever Ruger calls it. I load for both calibers, as well as about 90 other handgun and rifle calibers. I ought to own stock in Lee, Hornady, and RCBS. My only stainless Ruger revolvers are a 45 Colt Redhawk, a 480 Bisley Super Blackhawk, a 10mm GP-100, and a 327 Single Seven. Bob! 8)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
rangerbob said:
I just received a new 7.5" Blackhawk with both cylinders for 45 Colt and ACP. For those you that may not know, it's a Distributor Exclusive through Williams Shooters Supply. It's the full size Blackhawk, not the Lipseys flat top. Between it and my big Redhawk 4" I can shoot all of those 92 Winchester carbine loads I have on hand. I can blame it all on being at home with my foot injury and watching too many episodes of Gunsmoke and Have Gun-Will Travel. Got to go now, I hear my 7.5" Vaquero calling. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Why would it be calling me?

Bob Wright

Rclark

Hunter
Sounds great rangerBob! Nothing wrong with blued. I prefer it to SS. Now is this a BH or a Vaquero? Or you bought a BH and a Vaquero is calling you.... :) . You just have to get out and shoot it... regardless of what you bought.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Rclark, the recently received revolver is a full size Blackhawk. I already have a discontinued 7.5" new Vaquero as well as a 4.62" and 5.5" Flat top, all blue and all in 45 Colt. Bob! :mrgreen:

DNS

Bearcat
In the 1880's the 45 long colt used 40gr. of black powder. The 45 colt used 28gr. even though the cases were the same length, thats how they distinguished the difference between the two loadings. I have read that in several gun books about the old west. True or not I do not know for sure.

grobin

Blackhawk
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt
The 1873 model used the 45 Colt. The LC or Log Colt was used originally to differentiate it from the 45 Schofield (chambered in the S&W model 3 top break revolver optimized for cavalry use). Later it was used, again incorrectly, to differentiate it from the 45 ACP.

Rclark

Hunter
From what I remember, the 28g BP load was for the shorter .45 Schofield cartridge. The 40g - 30g BP was for the .45 Colt (sometimes referred to as the .45 Long Colt for nostalgic purposes).

RangerBob, sounds like you right in the .45 Colt groove :) . My original Vaquero is 5.5 as my New Vaquero ... both in .45 Colt. The last couple of sessions to the range with with the New Vaquero as it was a callin' me also!

DNS

Bearcat
Also i have read the military load was 28 gr. and the cilivan load was 40 gr. The military wanted a lighter load for firing on horseback.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Grobin. It will always be the .45 Long Colt to me just like I use clips to hold the cartridges for my Kimber Pro Carry.
You can rail on however long you care to on the subject. Political correctness on a gun forum is a sad thing.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Thanks for all of the comments. The 41 Magnum was my first love and still is along with the 41 Special. However it's hard to argue with a 250 gr. 45 bullet at 1100 fps. Matt Dillon's score is Matt 300, badguys 0. Having an extra 45 ACP cylinder makes ammo availability a non issue. Bob!! :mrgreen: