Holding a S/A

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Cyrognic treatment has been used on premium hand plane blades for about 10 years and makes a big difference with A2 and O1 but not as big an improvement as using PM-V11®. It is used less commonly on some precision hand tools, but what—if anything—it does for a gun?

NikA

Buckeye
I surmise from Ruger's literature that they use mostly 4140 and 416SS for their firearms, in heat treats that are hardened but still ductile. Both should have very low amounts of retained austenite; neither should see any significant benefit from cryogenic treatment.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Whether or not the cryo treatment helps at all isn't really what raises a flag with me. It's the absolute statement that it helps leaf springs last as long or longer than coil springs. It's absurd.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Craig, I liked your pics a lot. Very informative!

I've been shooting DA revolvers for almost 50 years now, but my recently inherited Single Six is the first SA I've ever owned. It is taking a LOT of getting used to, and I don't think it will ever feel as natural in my hand as a Smith K-frame or Colt Diamondback. :?

DPris

Buckeye
Acquired my first single-action revolver 49 years ago.
I've been shooting "pinky under" ever since on all calibers with a standard grip size.

Edited to add that I read the article referenced & hope the guy used an alias.

What a maroon!
Wrong in soooo many areas.
Denis

CraigC

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
Craig, I liked your pics a lot. Very informative!

I've been shooting DA revolvers for almost 50 years now, but my recently inherited Single Six is the first SA I've ever owned. It is taking a LOT of getting used to, and I don't think it will ever feel as natural in my hand as a Smith K-frame or Colt Diamondback. :?
I'm glad it helped!

It takes time for DA shooters to grow accustomed to SA's, because they have such a different feel.

LAH

Buckeye
Snake45 said:
LAH said:
The article says:
Point shooting is much more accurate than any sights, so the sights on the early guns remained more rudimentary affairs, intended only to help you see where a new gun was pointing on your first shooting outing. Today's shooter seems to think he needs sights, but David didn't have a sight on his sling when he killed Goliath with it, and Robin Hood had no sights on his bow and arrow. Hand-and-eye coordination is far more accurate and natural than sights and a whole lot faster in a gun battle.

I really thought my sixgun needed good sights. My bullseye buddies need to rethink their guns & technique if they want real accuracy. :D :D

Yah, the guy writes some real out-of-the-box stuff sometimes. He's done articles on "Chief AJ" and his semiauto "scout rifles" in .22LR and .223. Of course there is no such thing as a "scout rifle" in .22LR or .223 regardless of action type, by definition. It's interesting to get alternative viewpoints sometimes, though. :wink:

He's also done some VERY nice articles on other historical guns of various types. Interesting writer whom I'd never heard of (or wasn't on my radar) a year ago.

I don't want you to think I'm negative toward you by my response. I practice point & hip shooting from time to time. It is a learned art [least for me]. Sometimes I surprise myself when all goes right but I'm no Bill Jordan by a long shot. Still the statement about "sights" is one I can't accept. Thanks for posting the link though, it was a "read" if nothing else.

LAH

Buckeye
Thanks for the photos Craig. Thats about the way I do it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I do a lot of point/hip-shooting too but usually at 10-15yds or less. Just though it was comical that he said you don't need sights at all.

I got the idea for the weak thumb against the recoil shield from Mark Hargrove.

Sugar River

Buckeye
That article reads like a college term paper, a bunch of on-line research done by someone with very little experience.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well it has a lot fewer grammatical and spelling errors than the papers I see from graduate students in computer science. But I wish he had referenced where his "information" comes from.

He does have two good points:
First the higher grip does reduce felt recoil and muzzle jump, particularly compared to the pinkey under-well unless you have big hands relative to the gun but;
Second the point method is superior for close ranges (less than about 10 yards), but for ranges over that the sight picture is everything (well getting the laser • on target and knowing where the bullet will go...).

The point method takes a lot of practice both to get good and to maintain the skill.