What's your favorite Camp Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Over half my life I lived in Alaska, so got used to heavier calibers. But before that the 357mag was a pretty dependable gun for me. Counting up how many I have, apparently I have a thing for 357 mags, and Rugers Security Six is at the top of the heap on the ones I have. I liked the S&W 66 but it's hard to beat a good 4" Security SIx. They are just tough for a smallish revolver. Very dependable IMO. I'm not much on pictures and don't know how to post but it's hard to beat the stainless model with the bigger grips. Blue ones work pretty well too. Hard to put down the Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8" 357 mag as well. My stainless one is a Bi-Centenial. So is one of my 4" Stainless Security Sixes. I suppose any of them would work well. Hard to narrow it down I guess. Too many to pick from.
What is your favorite?

My favorite camp revolver is my old trusty Security Six Stainless 4 inch .357 mag with my customized Herretts grips and loaded with full power 158 grain .357 magnum semi-jacketed soft points or my GP-100 3 inch stainless .44 Special loaded with 240 SWC grain cast Skeeter handloads.

For me it's always been my stainless security six 357 mag 2 3/4 bbl. Either on my belt or stuck on my back pocket it's always been handy and the right fit for any task in or around camp.

One of my big regrets is selling my 4" Stainless Security Six years ago. Now I tend to carry a 3" LCRx. Have both 22 and 38 in this model and really love them.

When I head up to Minnesota this Sept. to bear hunt, I will have my recently acquired Alaskan 44 (thanks BPJ) with me.

gunzo

Hunter
It can greatly depend on the geography, time of year, & whether or not discretion is called for, but a S&W model 329 has been worn quite a bit since I got it.
Have a SS Security Six, & a M66 Smith for trail guns, but the 44 easily out guns them in power per pound.

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
99% of the time if I'm just out 'n about and not hunting, I carry a 4" .357. with a couple of 'shot' cartridges and a couple of 180gr'ers, just in case.

grobin

Blackhawk
My old three screw Blackhawk 357 is a long time standby, but my stainless Blackhawk 10mm is good where there are potential bear problems. But a lot of times I carry my Sig 398 9mm. With the buffalo bore Outdoorsman 9mm can take a griz. And 9mm is so cheap that it isn't hard to practice.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
For "glamping", I like my Ruger LCR in .22mag or .327 federal. Out in the deep woods, Ruger Redhawk 4" barrel .44 mag.

If I'm not necessarily hunting, my favorite is my 2-3/4" Security Six. And if it's hunting season, my camp or backup revolver becomes a 3-1/2" Super Blackhawk.

I recently bought a 4-5/8" 10mm/.40 Blackhawk. For whatever reason, there's a learning curve in shooting this revolver as accurately as some others. When I learn the trick, this revolver could easily become a camp or backup revolver. :mrgreen: