7.5 inch Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was in one of our local gun shops today and saw a Redhawk in a configuration that I didn't know they had made. It was a blued model, 7.5 inch barrel and it had the integral scope mounts on the barrel. The blued guns that I remember didn't have the scope mounts. After I left the shop I began to think that I might really enjoy owning this gun. It would make a fine hunting rig. What kind of accuracy should I expect? It had a decent Nikon scope already attached and was in excellent condition. Asking price was reasonable I thought. I've had RedHawks in 4 inch and 5.5 inch but I could never get them to shoot as well as my 629 so they were sent down the road. Maybe the longer barrel model would be better. Anyway, I would just like to hear some experience on the blued 7.5 inch model and maybe let everyone talk me into a new gun.

98Redline

Blackhawk
A 7.5" Blued Redhawk Hunter makes an excellent hunting gun. Built like a tank and will last a lifetime.

As far as accuracy goes, if you are willing to put in a bit of time to determine what bullet combination your revolver likes, the scope, and you doing your part behind the trigger I would think that you could expect 3-4" groups at 100 yards.

The only thing, and really it is not that big of an issue is that the Redhawk uses a single spring for both the mainspring and trigger return spring. Many people jump right in with reducing the spring weight to get a lighter trigger pull. This takes power away from the hammer and could result in light strikes. That said, there are a number of things that you can do, sans gunsmith, that will improve the trigger and get you reliable ignition.

I have one of the 5.5" Stainless Redhawks and it is by far my favorite revolver.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I've vot a 7.5" RR in 357, vintage 1984, SS. Cylinder closing sounds like a vault door! PLates at 100 yards are fodder for this thing...

trapperon

Blackhawk
I think the blued Redhawk is one of the best looking firearms Ruger has ever produced. I have both a 5.5 and 7.5 blued and both shoot very well. Generally speaking the Redhawks shoot just fine, but as with any revolver, accuracy is a product of the shooter and individual gun and load.

Good find---and sounds like I would have a hard time passing it up!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ron

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I bought one of those, exactly as you described, in the early '90s. I had it many years and it served me well, no problems at all. I eventually traded it to a good friend about 4 years ago, and he says he will never let it go. I realize this doesn't answer your accuracy question (I do not seriously measure accuracy, I'm just an informal shooter), but my friend is more of a stickler and couldn't be happier with it.

My main point is, as mentioned above, if you're willing to do some grunt work with loads, it's pretty likely that you'll be satisfied with it.

I bought a 7.5 inch Redhawk .44 mag as a project gun. I shot it first. It grouped like a shotgun! Sold it. Now I know more about what makes a revolver accurate. I wasn't reloading then. I have an 4.2 inch Redhawk now, which is what I intended with the first gun, since Ruger wasn't making them then.
gramps

Gaftw

Bearcat
tiCEbJyl.jpg

Five or six years ago my adult stepson called me about this gun. A guy that worked for him wanted to sell it for $500. I told him not a bad price but see if he could do better. It was a no sale but a few months later the guy came back and needed money fast and sold it for $300.

My SS showed it to me and then knowing how I like .41 Mags just gave it to me.
I have really enjoyed it and have taken a good many deer with it.

I later added the Weigand mount and put a red dot on it.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
buffalo cannon, the Redhawk has only been built in 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag and 45 Colt. There have been a few custom 454 Casull builds by guys like Bowen and Huntington. Ruger builds the Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. Look for the "Toklak" version.
k2nd

mohavesam

Hawkeye
historicfirearms said:
Well I waited too long to get back to the gun shop. Darn work getting in the way of gun time ... It had already been sold.

Yup. They don't last long on a shelf. And the folks who have just one don't sell them very often!
Mine are whitetail killers. One queen is listed herein...

Nene seller

Bearcat
Here's one for you. Thanks for posting. I didn't know they made the blue with rings.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781705073

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
But they still make ONE blued Redhawk: https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5014.html

buffalocannon

Bearcat
Thanks Single-Sixer. Apparently one can obtain a Super Redhawk .454 in almost any barrel length from 2.5" to 7.5" and perhaps beyond if one goes with the Alaskan or Toklat or other models. I like that Toklat. Five-inch barrel length just about right. And apparently they aren't all that pricey. I saw one advertised for about $850. I like that .454 caliber. Seems like good transition from the .44s and other .45s before one gets into the monster .480s and .500s. Anyway, may be up for one down the road?