SBH 454( Range Report)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
So my LGS called anf said the 454 I ordered showed up and he sent me a few pics. He said it looked good so I told him to shoot it. Said it shot good until the third round. Then he couldnt stop flinching. Said he wouldnt call it terible, but it wants to come up over your head :D .
For those that have one what do you shoot in yours. Factory or reloads? Im hoping to go start the paper work and jail time tonight.
Jeff
Next is a bisley in 41 mag.

I like the 340 grain WLNF in my 454 single actions if I want full power 454 loads. Most of the time I shoot 250 grain WLFN 45 Colt loads @ around 1200 fps, there is nothing in the state of Ohio or Michigan that this load won't take with authority. Nice revolver, congrats!

I hate to say it but the best recoiling gun to handle in 454 is F/A. Way better grip. Jack Huntington can match your gun up to a F/A. 2nd I've got no use for a 454. I know two guys shooting bears off of them, that tied up their gun. Recoil is so viscous (if you are pushing it) that it will pull the bullet. That means you don't push it. If you aren't going to push it, a good heavy 45 Colt will do the job for you. If you are going to use a 45 Colt Bisley, use the 6 shot Ruger, it's lighter and you have an extra round. I carried a Buffalo Bore 325 grain HC WFNGC in Alaska (33 years). I had full confidence it would do anything a 454 would do, and not pull the bullet and tie up the gun.
But that's just me. I like a heavy bullet at a moderate velocity. :mrgreen:

Max sent me a copy of this. These guys are using F/A 454's. This will show you the difference: https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Thanks wildcatter.
Im heading to the Bob marshall in Montana this fall. Would be nice to know I have a chance to stop a grizz charge if that should come to pass. Had a grizz steal a deer from me in wyoming. I wasnt in to much danger as he came through camp and headed about a half mile up to where the deer was hanging. I gues my buddy lowered my deer when he hung his. All I had left was a head. By buddies fared al little better he had the front half left. I figure mine had aged a few days and tasted better

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
I hate to say it but the best recoiling gun to handle in 454 is F/A. Way better grip. Jack Huntington can match your gun up to a F/A. 2nd I've got no use for a 454. I know two guys shooting bears off of them, that tied up their gun. Recoil is so viscous (if you are pushing it) that it will pull the bullet. That means you don't push it. If you aren't going to push it, a good heavy 45 Colt will do the job for you. If you are going to use a 45 Colt Bisley, use the 6 shot Ruger, it's lighter and you have an extra round. I carried a Buffalo Bore 325 grain HC WFNGC in Alaska (33 years). I had full confidence it would do anything a 454 would do, and not pull the bullet and tie up the gun.
But that's just me. I like a heavy bullet at a moderate velocity. :mrgreen:
I have a super nice grover #5 with full coverage engraving in 45 lc
Im afraid to carry that gun and figured this would be my 454/45lc. Mainly using Lc with a 325 gr cast bullet.
By the way I was in your neck of the woods looking at property a while back. Two many people heading that way. Need to spread the word about active volcanos and such. Im trying to leave this area not have all my neighbors joinn me
Jeff

badubet

Bearcat
I shoot 340 gr LFNGC hard cast out of mine. Will stop anything that walks. If you keep pulling bullets you may want to work on your crimp technique.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I never thought I wanted a 454 unless it was a Freedom Arms but I never got an opportunity when I had the cash so when the Ruger SBH came along, I got one. I have fired some of the Buffalo Bore 325 and 340 gr. loads and they are the max for me, I am certain. Hornady makes a 250 gr XTP that is much more pleasant. I could also shoot 45 Colt reloads but I drag the 454 out to make water jugs really explode with dramatic results :mrgreen: .

It is an awesome firearm with more horsepower than my aging hands want to try very often. Good luck with yours.

32Magfan

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Thanks 32magfan.
It might be a good start to take my Bisley 32. H&R, Bisley 44 special and the 454. Sorta start small and work myself into it,Lol.
I have a bunch of 460 brass. Have any of you trimmed the 460 down to use in your 454? What primer did you use? I have about 200-300 cases of 460
Jeff

Tom W

Blackhawk
I had a .454 but it was an Encore pistol. When I did shoot .454 loads they were 300 gr cast and Lil' Gun. And I can promise you that I didn't shoot more than 200 rounds total. I did shoot a bunch of heavy .45 Colt loads with the best ones being the RCBS 270 SAA. It was really too much for me and after about two years I sold it. And don't regret it, either.

Nice thread. A couple of guys in Manchester, Tn, required wrist surgery after shooting their .454's. Thanks BPJ for that video. I need to try that with my SBH, and RedHawk in .44mag. For defense, I prefer DA. The SA requires too much manipulation under stress for my liking.
gramps

BearBio

Buckeye
Mine is a Reeder, so it has modified grips. I don't shoot many each time but I shoot 325 gr at about 1100-1200 fps. The same bullet at about 1000 is much nicer!

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I hope I can to contriol the recoil and shoot it decent enough to make me happy. Recoil didnt used to bother me a whole lot, At least not in rifles. That has somewhat
Changed. I still dont mind it but enjoy lighter rounds alot more. At least for rifles. Up to now the biggest handgun I have shot was a 45-70 contender. I had a encore 7-08 for a while that didnt bother me. But I figure the lighter weight and shorter barrel will be a diffrent cat altogether.
Thanks for taking time to reply

FWIW, I also have a Ruger Alaskan in 454. My personal experience is that it's easier to handle than a bisley 454. Although I mostly shoot the 325 grain HR WFNLBT Buffalo Bore ammo through it in 45 Colt. If you were closer you could shoot mine with both rounds and see how you handle to them. My experience is most people start shaking after just a few rounds of 454. It's hard to shoot well when you are shaking. You have to be able to squeeze off the trigger and keep the gun still. A 45-70 contender is a substantial load as well. If you can do that, I'd assume you could handle the 454. Don't go into it being scared. You have to have confidence and follow through to shoot well.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I don't want to scare you, by any means. I just like DA revolvers for heavy recoiling calibers. Last month I got to shoot a S&W 500, 4" ported and it wasn't bad at all.... I just like lighter recoiling pistol and revolvers for killing paper.
Still use my SRH .44 Mag for deer when I go.

I've had a 30-06 barrel on my Encore pistol and it wasn't bad. I've had a SRH 9" .480 I shot with 400 gr swc and top end loads and foolishly traded it. I DO regret that....but now I'm older and live in a city where i know about five people, and go to the Sheriff's Office range once a month and to an indoor range when I feel up to it.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Just shoot with a strong Weaver stance leaning a bit forward. You won't get uncontrollable muzzle rise. In fact you won't probably think it's so bad. Most guys that have problems are shooting a weak stance like isosoles.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
Just shoot with a strong Weaver stance leaning a bit forward. You won't get uncontrollable muzzle rise. In fact you won't probably think it's so bad. Most guys that have problems are shooting a weak stance like isosoles.

Exactly. Lean forward a bit at the waist, as if leaning over a table. One more bit of advice - keep a FIRM grip. The worst thing my .480 SBH did to me was to drive the (unexpectedly sharp!) hammer into the top of the web of my hand when I had somewhat loosened my grip. I still have a scar to show what happened there. Oh, yeah, take a file and round the sharp edges on the bottom of the hammer spur. Just in case. As I said, it was sharper than expected.

Onty

Single-Sixer
I doubt that I will go more than this http://www.sixgunner.org/maxprasacbisley45.html .

The only other thing I am dreaming of is to get 44 Magnum in 5.5 SBH, stainless, and convert it to 45 Colt (line boring); Bisley grip and trigger, but hammer will be sort of SBH, with welded back to plug opening on Bisley grip. I found SBH hammer spur more comfortable than Bisley.

Somebody posted wild ago picture of Flattop with Bisley grip but with SBH hammer, done by Alan Harton. IMHO one of the most beautiful custom SA revolvers ever built.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Got it picked up tonight. Trigger feels decent as does the lockup. I will measure cylinder throats and gap. Load some ammo and shoot it.
Next I would like to get a 41 mag Bisley.
Wishing big here, a 44 mag Bisley hunter style 5.5" hunter style barrel and no scope cuts.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
So I went to the range with my new SBH. I loaded five 45long colt rounds in the cylinder. The first round at 15 yards hit inside the x ring the following four rounds were all inside the 10 ring of a 50 ft pistol target. Good pistol shooting, no just luck as im usually a 5-6" group type of shooter.
With the cylinder loaded with the 454(noslers starting load of 296) I shot about 3 inches lower and about a 4" group. Recoil was stiff but not unpleasant.
For the most part im happy.
The things I dont like are End shake of the cyl along with the cyl not locking up really tight. Also I was getting either powder or copper blown into my face.