3 inch GP100 for CCW? Hmm. I'm a big fella

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Anyone here have experience with CCW of a 3 inch GP100? I'm a big fella and have no problem AIWB with my wonderful P95, but as us folks of the gun so often ponder, I'm wondering how the GP would do. Just seeking input. Also wondering about the new 2.5 inch versions. Decisions decisions. Thanks. Don

Don I think you can do it. Depends on how you dress. You have to decide if you want to dress for your gun, or carry a gun for the way you dress. People worry about too many other things, but this is the first question you have to answer.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm not as big as some,, and bigger than others. I have been known to carry a full sized 1911 CCW & go as small as a derringer.
A lot depends upon the clothing, the time of year,,, (hot & cold) and what your needs are at the time. And as for size,, a GP or an SP isn't hard to CCW.
And for dependability,, a revolver wins hands down.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks folks. I wish I could find a 3 inch GP100 to try on for size. The seven round version is new to me but attractive. Haven't really started looking yet though.
Because I love to craft leather, I may, as sort of an exercise too, craft an AIWB holster for my 6 inch half shroud stainless GP100. Yes, it would be for fun and heehaws. Seriously, I currently rotate between an AIWB 3 inch SP101, a pocket holstered 2 1/4 inch SP101, and AIWB of my stainless P95. Surgeon 3 months or so ago told me he cannot do the lumbar spine fusion I hoped for as there's more rot to come and the disease has moved farther up my spine. Said to lose weigh and strengthen front and back muscles. Soooo... I'm down 38 pounds to 270 with another 40-50 pounds to go. Even at my expected 230ish weight, I think I'd be able to CCW a larger GP100 AIWB without trouble.
Thanks again Don.
As a side note with a touch of humor: A age 60, my weight loss has meant that the fat I am used to packing is going away, leaving me looking like an empty ruck sack. I have lots of loose skin and have begun to look like my parents and older sister! May not have to ever make a full flap holster for myself again--- just fold my stomach over the gun grip.

DPris

Buckeye
I carried a 3-inch GP easily for a couple years after retiring from the PD, only stopped in favor of a higher-cap auto after 9-11.
It's not hard to do, and when I got the 2.5 it tempts me strongly to go back to a revolver again. :)
Denis

Bear Paw Jack said:
gramps said:
I used to conceal a 4 inch barrel GP-100 in a Don Hume high ride (OWB)holster under a vest or light coat. I am 5'10" and weighed 170 back then. Good luck.
gramps

Gramps, 170? How long ago was that??? On the other hand forget I asked that!!
Late 1980's, but good food changed that didn't it? :shock: :cry:
gramps

bogus bill

Hunter
I also am big & fat. The picture is about 8 or 10 years old and I am probably down 50 pounds from then. Still weigh close to 255 and have lost 30 lbs in the last two months. I OC`ed OTJ for 35 years. Then I wore the usual Sam Brown belt. I wore color coded Perry suspenders to match the shirts to keep things up. Now if I OC (trail riding our RZR) I use pancake holsters, still use suspenders and a untucked shirt. Trouble with that is if you have to hit the john fast!
So I go about one of three ways. A S&W model 40 in my pocket, next step up is a 3" S&W model 36 in a pancake with suspenders and untucked shirt, or trail riding in the boonies anything go`s. The only time I OC is riding in the boonies although we can OC in Utah plus I have the CC permit anyway. I just don`t get off OC`ing in town although I could. I don`t like being a spectacle. While open carring is legal here you very seldom see it. I read others that claim they see it often in other states. Maybe I need to get out more.

Tallbald said:
Anyone here have experience with CCW of a 3 inch GP100? I'm a big fella and have no problem AIWB with my wonderful P95, but as us folks of the gun so often ponder, I'm wondering how the GP would do. Just seeking input. Also wondering about the new 2.5 inch versions. Decisions decisions. Thanks. Don
Don,
I usually legally carry a concealed GP-100 .44 Special, 3 inch in a crossdraw Simply Rugged Cattleman on a Simply Rugged waist belt under my Pendleton a Jacket in the cooler months with no problems.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
I'm a good size fellow also, & I have taken to carrying my GP100 Match Champ, and love it !! My EDC used to be a compact 1911 Springfield in an IWB holster, and so I also carry it from time to time, just for old time's sake. Man, I've carried my S&W 657 at times ! I can hide most anything depending upon the season & clothing !! But, we also have the option of open carry here.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Hi and thanks for the responses. I am actively seeking a nice older used 3 inch GP100 locally, but they aren't really common. I'd prefer the fixed sight stainless. Reading posts here I feel it's a valid CCW option for me AIWB with an un-tucked shirt. I'll share updates if I'm able to find what I want too. I'll craft my own AIWB holster and will soon be having to craft a new belt for myself as I further shrink. 40-50 pounds to go. Sure miss pizza and fried chicken...... Don.

gunzo

Hunter
While presently carrying a 3" SP, you want to use the same cartridge, but add more weight & bulk, for?

JBL14

Bearcat
I have a 3" GP that I've carried quite a bit OWB in a Simply Rugged holster, usually under a large, untucked T-shirt. This setup conceals better than most of the semiautos I carry.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
While presently carrying a 3" SP, you want to use the same cartridge, but add more weight & bulk, for?

So many options, . . . . . . So little time !
I always assumed that was why there are so many options, and that I was obligated to try them all !! Or, at least all I can afford !!! :lol: :lol:

And I've been working hard at it !