Low value of Six Series Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Over the years I have acquired several of these fine revolvers. It seems to me that these guns out perform the S&W K-frame 357 but command far less on the used market. This seems odd, since their appearance at gun stores seems rare, making them a scare commodity. I wonder if being discontinued by factory has negatively impacted value.

Absolutely not! The prices for the Six series guns is continuing to climb. That said, their prices seem to be different in different regions of the US. In my area, what I could have gotten for $250 less than 10 years ago is now $450. People "rediscovered" the Six series about 5 years ago and the popularity AND prices have continually gone up.

Armybrat

Buckeye
For the new-to-Ruger fans who haven't seen one of these "rare" Six Series birds yet, here is my old 1975 production Service Six .357: :wink:

Guns082.jpg

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
I love my Security Six, it's a great gun. But, if I could only have one 357, it would be a tough choice between my Model 27 and my Model 13. I'd probably keep the 13. And wish I had the 27 and the Security Six again. I'm really glad I don't need to make that choice!

SAJohn

Hunter
One of my many regrets is that I never bought one. Another regret is that I sold my S&W Model 27-2 8 3/8" barreled revolver with the presentation case and tools. :(

Armybrat said:
For the new-to-Ruger fans who haven't seen one of these "rare" Six Series birds yet, here is my old 1975 production Service Six .357: :wink:

Guns082.jpg

I have one similar, only mine is a speed six. It's a 1980 gun, I have a Ruger Pachmayer grip on it, and I painted the front sight white so it was more visible. But it's the basic blue, fixed sight gun. Mine is a 38 special. Tough to beat for general purposes.

Actually, I guess, outside of being blue, and fixed sights they aren't all that much alike. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

"Six" prices will go up when they start becoming 50 years old because then they will be "importable" to California from other states and more easily shipped from dealer to dealer within the state.

Right now we are limited to buying them face-to-face and having to visit the FFL dealer that handles that deal TWICE to get the gun. Face-to-face involves two round trips to the dealer and seriously limits the "range" of your market for buying a Six. All of this means that Sixes are artificially scarce here in CA, and when they become more available (C&R) you will see some serious California money enter into the Six market nationwide. Buy one now if you find one you like.

I drove only a round trip of 10 miles twice to get my first one, a shorty .38. about 8 years ago. The second one, a stainless 4" .357, required well over 200 miles all told, plus a LOT of internet and personal searching. Both well worth the chase, IMO.

BTW, armybrat, I envy you your "plummy" .38! Wish mine would start to "ripen"!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
Armybrat said:

I have one similar, only mine is a speed six. It's a 1980 gun, I have a Ruger Pachmayer grip on it, and I painted the front sight white so it was more visible. But it's the basic blue, fixed sight gun. Mine is a 38 special. Tough to beat for general purposes.

Actually, I guess, outside of being blue, and fixed sights they aren't all that much alike. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Bear Paw, this Ruger Pachmayr you mentioned. My last Security Six, 2 3/4" Stainless, has Pachmayr grips, with finger grooves. This is a 1983 model. Were they shipped like this? There were no wooden panels, I figured someone changed grips. Thanks!

daveg,
Typically when the Six series had Pachmayrs on it from the factory, they came with the Ruger grip medallion and were square butt (Security and Police Service), the Speed Sixes had a rounded butt Pachmayr grip (I just don't recall if the Speed Six Pachmayrs had a medallion - the ones I have in my collection of Six series grips don't have a medallion, Ruger or Pachmayr). I don't recall ever seeing any finger groove Pachmayrs that came from the factory. However, you and I know that you never say never when it comes to Rugers guns.

RoninPA Quote [(I just don't recall if the Speed Six Pachmayrs had a medallion - the ones I have in my collection of Six series grips don't have a medallion, Ruger or Pachmayr). I don't recall ever seeing any finger groove Pachmayrs that came from the factory. However, you and I know that you never say never when it comes to Rugers guns.]

I have a couple that have the medallion and finger grooves for the Speed Six. I really like them.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
This Ruger has been shot very little, by looks. Carried alot! Rear sight is worn. On sides. But, there is rust on frame. Under rubber grips. Simichrome polishing is helping. Plus I had a set of the small panels I put on.

Bear Paw Jack said:
RoninPA Quote [(I just don't recall if the Speed Six Pachmayrs had a medallion - the ones I have in my collection of Six series grips don't have a medallion, Ruger or Pachmayr). I don't recall ever seeing any finger groove Pachmayrs that came from the factory. However, you and I know that you never say never when it comes to Rugers guns.]

I have a couple that have the medallion and finger grooves for the Speed Six. I really like them.

Well then, that gives me one more thing to look for to add to the collection :D

Tom-R2

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
Armybrat said:

Bear Paw, this Ruger Pachmayr you mentioned. My last Security Six, 2 3/4" Stainless, has Pachmayr grips, with finger grooves. This is a 1983 model. Were they shipped like this? There were no wooden panels, I figured someone changed grips. Thanks!

Mine is a 4" Police Service Six in .38SPL. I put Herriott grips on it early on, around 1975-6 when I first started carrying it as a sheriff's deputy early in my career. The bluing is worn a little here and there, but it still shines and makes me smile.

Dave I'm thinking someone changed the grips too. Lots of that happening, as people look at the wood ones as being too small. IMO, that's the biggest positive about revolvers. Revolvers work for anyone. If you don't like the feel of the grip, change it. Pachmayrs are cheap, relatively speaking. But they work for a lot of people. When I was a firearms instructor in Alaska I'd put out several handguns for the women to try. I was amazed how many were attracted to K frame Smiths, and Six series Rugers. They liked the rubber grips too. Hogues and Parmayrs. My wife likes bigger grips. She has her own Security Six Stainless 4" with the big wood target grips. It's all subjective and personal.