Low value of Six Series Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc said:
Speaking of low value, GB has for bid a blue, 4" Sec Six that is in great condition. Up to $300.00. Ends 7-21.

I wouldn't expect it to end anywhere near that. I watch guns that close on the week day and earlier in the day when people are at work. In addition to trying to guess what the various "six series" guns will go for, I'm amazed to see how frequently the condition is excellent on these old guns. Whether it's because they weren't used a lot or just held up many are in excellent condition. For some reason, I've been on a buying spree on these guns, which I can't particularly afford right now. I think it's an addiction. :mrgreen:

It is an addiction, and one that CAN NOT be cured :D :D :D The only way to mitigate it is to ... to ... well crap! :shock: there isn't any way to mitigate it, there are too many different variations out there. :mrgreen:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
This 2 3/4" Stainless.357 shot very well with 158 gr XTP and 8 grs Unique. Loud report! Security Sixes are a darn good revolver. Now, I need a 4" to have all barrel lengths.

toysoldier

Hunter
My first one of these is a Police Service-Six in .38 Special, 4" barrel, stainless with a black finish and Hogue Monogrip, purchased locally a few years ago for under $200. I just picked up a "parts kit" on Gunbroker to convert it to .357. My second is a low-back blued 4" Security-Six I found on Gunbroker for about $300. I'd like to swap the Security-Six for a 6" model.

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
I just won this one on gunbroker! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/786348835 The Mrs. loves her stainless security six snubby that I received in a trade years ago for a blackhawk 3-screw flat-top (yeah, kicking myself for that one... LOL) Oh well, I have a truck gun now.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The op interests me. Let's look at the facts.
An item cost a dollar price at a given time. That cost increases adjusted for inflation only.

I bought a Security Six in 1985, when the msrp was $189. That figure in 2018 dollars is $451 and change.
Any price under that figure means the product (in as-new condition) has lost value. That gun selling today for $451 has not appreciated in value.

Pretty simple concept.

GMan351

Single-Sixer
For what it's worth, pachmayr grips have been mentioned, but they were not the factory rubber grip that I know of. It was Sile Grips that made the factory grips. They made the grips with the medallion for Ruger and without for public sale.

Ruger also had factory Six series guns with Pachmayr grips. The model number would look like this: RDA-36P, GF-34HP, or GS-32P. These were the Pachmayr "Presentation" style grips with the Ruger medallion. I do not recall Sile making factory grips for the Six series guns, but you never say never with Ruger guns. Sile did make (a lot of) aftermarket grips for the Six series guns (high back frames 151- and above s/n's) with the Ruger medallion, both black rubber and wood. You can still get these at Numrich Gun Parts (www.gunpartscorp.com).

there was one like the pictured above but in stainless and had pachmayr grips on it at the Canton ,Ohio show and the guy wanted $300 for it and it never did sell...... :roll:

can never tell with the values.........

rugerguy said:
there was one like the pictured above but in stainless and had pachmayr grips on it at the Canton ,Ohio show and the guy wanted $300 for it and it never did sell...... :roll:

can never tell with the values.........

Dan, you see another like that :shock: give me a call and we'll work the purchase out :D

Ron IL

Bearcat
Every time I go to my local gun store I look at a speed six stainless that was made in the last year. Price 550. On consignment so he can't deal or take trades.

bogus bill

Hunter
Our`s had the wood grips that were sort of round butted but not to the extreme. I am a big guy and the speed sixs felt better in my hand than the other smith 586`s and colt OP`s we also had.