SRH TOKLAT reviews

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I haven't heard of anyone with problems. If the price is right get it. I doubt you will regret it. Once upon a time I considered a Toklat, but I have a Redhawk in .44 mag with a 4 inch barrel and decided I already had what I wanted. Good luck!
gramps

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I have a pair of Toklats, absolutely love them. They're better balanced and nicer handling than the 7.5" SRH, with better grips and lockwork than my 4.2" RH's. Other than that form factor, they're just Super Reds. No special tuning or any magic dust inside which makes them anything else. Very accurate, very loud, very powerful, very nicely balanced. A Trijicon RMR on a JP Jpoint rear sight mount makes for a very nice package. Others might prefer the Burris mount which uses the integral scope ring, to keep the rear sight in place, but I prefer the JP unit, for the lower profile and more rearward position for bolstering.

I held it and I liked it.

I am going to see how this plays out with the owner.

It would make a good partner for my SRH 10MM.

Double action 45 Colt is appealing.

454 Casull as an interesting history and I have been doing some research.

Reloading manual shows that they take small rifle primers.

Bill

trapperon

Blackhawk
Bill

Glad you won it!! Yes--in my opinion a 45 colt 250 grain projectile at 1000fps is just an all around great round. Perfect and certainly not unpleasant in the Toklat platform. You will enjoy it, and I have always thought there is something special about those 5 inch double actions!

Ron

trapperon,

250 grain is exactly what I am thinking and 1000 FPS seems mild and enjoyable. 25 years ago I had a S&W 29 DX classic with 5 inch barrel. It was perfect. I traded it towards a Browning Sporting Clays O/U. I regret that move to this day.

While this Toklat is not a Model 29, I like the 5 inch barrel. I do not plan on shooting many of the 454 Casull. I should have it by Wednesday of next week.

Bill

Mus408

Hunter
I have the Alaskan and it's a very good shooter with heavy .45 Colt.
A favorite load I put together is the 250 gr. XTP bullet loaded over either 11 gr. of Unique or 20 gr. of 2400 powder which gave me 1100 FPS out of the 2.5 inch barrel. Stopped in 5th water jug!

Yours would do better!
8CvIDkJ.jpg

harles dawson

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
Wish they'd offer the Toklat configuration in every SRH chambering.
I love my Toklat! I shoot Linebaugh .45 Colt loads in mine, but those 250 grain bullets at 1000 FPS are nice too. Would have to have another in .480 Ruger, soon I hope! Harles

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
Currently considering sending my RSR .480 to a pistolsmith to have barrel chopped to 5" with
taller front sight installed? Would have the barrel scalloped also to look just like a Toklat. I like
the 5" for carry.
Steve

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
steve8261948 said:
Currently considering sending my RSR .480 to a pistolsmith to have barrel chopped to 5" with
taller front sight installed? Would have the barrel scalloped also to look just like a Toklat. I like
the 5" for carry.
Steve

I'd do the same but would not have the flats on the barrel. That to me is the one thing that makes the Toklat less than desireable.