Hogue Grips for Old Model Single Six .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huskerbob

Bearcat
After trying to justify the expense for a good while, I finally took the plunge and ordered a set of faux ivory Hogue grips for my Old Model Ruger Single Six. I bought them from a company on Amazon for about $50. They were brand new but not purchased directly from Hogue. Prior to ordering I confirmed with Hogue that the grips were the correct ones for my Ruger.

When they arrived I tried to put them on but found they didn't fit correctly. Based on instructions contained in the packaging, I contacted Hogue seeking assistance. The told me to send the gun, minus the cylinder, and grips to them and they would try to fit them. They said that "typically there is no charge for fitting grips" but I would be responsible for the shipping charges both ways. The lady I spoke with said the turn around would be about 30 days.

I sent the gun as instructed. Shipping from Utah to CA. was approx. $12. In a few weeks I received a VM saying the grips had been fitted and the frame had been shipped back to me via UPS.

The good news is: When the frame arrived I found that the grips now fit the gun very nicely.

The bad new is: I had paid about $30 for round trip shipping plus Hogue had charged me almost $40 for their "Free Fitting Service" without letting me know in advance of the fee.

In short, my $50 Hogue grips had in fact cost approximately $120.

While I love the look of my re gripped Single Six, I feel like Hogue could have been more up front with me regarding the cost of the fitting service for grips not purchased directly from them.

If you're considering Hogue grips my only advice would be to confirm the amount of any 'back end fees' with Hogue before you make your purchase.

contender

Ruger Guru
If I were you,,, I'd call & politely explain to them what you were told AND contest the charges on my card. The $40 fee for fitting is not what you were told,, and I'd start by speaking to a manager in customer service.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jesus, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. FedEx and UPS policy require handguns to be shipped overnight. You didn't. It is typically $100-$120 in EACH direction. Luckily, you did not need to file an insurance claim because they would've denied it. The $40 fitting charge is a pittance. Some of us pay a hell of a lot more to have custom grips fitted. So if I were you, I'd forget about the fitting charge and enjoy my $120 grips that should've actually cost you at least $290.

DGW1949

Hunter
When you buy a set of grips for a certain gun, they are supposed to fit. Or at least fit within reason.
The problem here seems to be that there are two different grip shapes found on Old Model Single Sixes, the two don't interchange, and no one was sure which was needed. Either that, or the OP received a defective set of grips...which sometimes happens, even when bought from a self proclaimed "custom grip maker" right here on the Forum. I know that because it happened to me...but no, I didn't throw good money after bad by sending them back to the maker for (re)fitting like he asked.

The OP is $120 into a set of $50 grips and some of you guys thinks that that is OK?...well, shame on you.

That's all I got to say about that.

DGW

huskerbob

Bearcat
CraigC said:
Jesus, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. FedEx and UPS policy require handguns to be shipped overnight. You didn't. It is typically $100-$120 in EACH direction. Luckily, you did not need to file an insurance claim because they would've denied it. The $40 fitting charge is a pittance. Some of us pay a hell of a lot more to have custom grips fitted. So if I were you, I'd forget about the fitting charge and enjoy my $120 grips that should've actually cost you at least $290.

Why so angry CraigC??? First, it's not a 'Handgun' when it doesn't have a cylinder..........it's a 'frame' and is not subject to the overnight shipping rules. Second, I wasn't 'looking a gift horse in the mouth' I was suggesting others understand and verify all the costs involved BEFORE purchasing Hogue products. Third, I'm really not interested in your opinion related to how much money constitutes a 'pittance' or how much my new grips should have 'actually cost' me. Fourth, when a company tells me something on the 'front end', I kind of expect them to follow through on the 'back end' unless they notify me of a change in advance. Fifth, if you're capable and willing to re read my OP you will see that I said the finished grips fit and looked good on my gun. However, when I give a company my credit card number so they are assured of being paid their end of the shipping costs, I kind of expect them to act responsibly and let me know, in advance, how they intend to spend my money. Finally, if my intention had been to bad mouth or discredit Hogue, I would have written a rude and insulting post. You know, kind of like you did........

PS: "Jesus" didn't have anything to do with the final cost of my new grips but it was nice of you to arbitrarily mention him. I'm sure he appreciates it!

huskerbob

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
When you buy a set of grips for a certain gun, they are supposed to fit. Or at least fit within reason.
The problem here seems to be that there are two different grip shapes found on Old Model Single Sixes, the two don't interchange, and no one was sure which was needed. Either that, or the OP received a defective set of grips...which sometimes happens, even when bought from a self proclaimed "custom grip maker" right here on the Forum. I know that because it happened to me...but no, I didn't throw good money after bad by sending them back to the maker for (re)fitting like he asked.

The OP is $120 into a set of $50 grips and some of you guys thinks that that is OK?...well, shame on you.

That's all I got to say about that.

DGW

Thank you DGW! I understood the difference in the frames when I was making my purchase. That's precisely why I contacted Hogue in advance to verify that the Part Number of the grips I was purchasing was correct for my version of the Ruger Single Six. They indicated the grips were in fact the correct grips.

Thanks again for your support!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Not angry, shocked is more like it. More peeved at DGW's childish "shame on you" post but whatever.

Removing the cylinder makes no difference whatsoever. You can strip it down to the bare frame and it won't matter. By federal law and UPS regulations, a handgun receiver must be shipped priority overnight or next day saver.

From UPS:

"Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms). UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)"

So still $120 versus $290. Gift horse. Hence the tone of my post. You got off cheap. Ya know, some of us have done this before. :roll:

huskerbob

Bearcat
CraigC said:
Not angry, shocked is more like it. More peeved at DGW's childish "shame on you" post but whatever.

Removing the cylinder makes no difference whatsoever. You can strip it down to the bare frame and it won't matter. By federal law and UPS regulations, a handgun receiver must be shipped priority overnight or next day saver.

From UPS:

"Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms). UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)"

So still $120 versus $290. Gift horse. Hence the tone of my post. You got off cheap. Ya know, some of us have done this before. :roll:

OK. and assuming you are correct, could you not have made your point without being a dick about it?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I am correct, it's all right there in black & white. Both UPS policy and the US statute. Doesn't get any plainer than that.

My intent was not to "be a dick" but to offer a perspective that should've made you feel better about money you already spent. Sorry but I couldn't get over the fact that you were complaining about $30 shipping and $40 for fitting when it should have been over $200 just for shipping. But sometimes people take something how they want, not how you intend.

Of course, all they really needed was the grip frame but I digress.

huskerbob,

In my experience, often the person that charges the credit card is an employee of the accounts payable department and is following policies established by management. If you feel that your card information was provided to cover shipping and that the fitting charge was not approved, I would give them a call. Your comment or suggestion to them could result in a change in charging policy for future customers. Now, it is possible that they will explain that this is standard procedure. If that is the case, they should explicitly state that. The devil is in the details.

Any chance you could post of picture of your Single Six with those new grips?

Bill

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
There is no federal law that a handgun (or frame there of) must be shipped overnight or by air. Federal law states a non FFL may ship by common carrier period. No mention of how it has to be shipped. UPS and FedEx instituted their own policies that they would only ship by "next day" because they were having too many thefts.

From the BATFE website:
"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]"

CraigC

Hawkeye
pacecars said:
There is no federal law that a handgun (or frame there of) must be shipped overnight or by air. Federal law states a non FFL may ship by common carrier period. No mention of how it has to be shipped. UPS and FedEx instituted their own policies that they would only ship by "next day" because they were having too many thefts.
Nobody said anything differently. Federal law defines what constitutes a "firearm" and UPS/FedEx policy dictate how 'they' ship said parts. Bottom line is that if you want the insurance to be valid you declare that the package contains a handgun or handgun receiver and ship overnight.

And the ATF FAQ is misleading about who must declare that the package contains a firearm.

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
pacecars said:
Nobody said anything differently. Federal law defines what constitutes a "firearm" and UPS/FedEx policy dictate how 'they' ship said parts. Bottom line is that if you want the insurance to be valid you declare that the package contains a handgun or handgun receiver and ship overnight.

And the ATF FAQ is misleading about who must declare that the package contains a firearm.

Not trying to be a dick about it either but you said differently. You said "By federal law and UPS regulations, a handgun receiver must be shipped priority overnight or next day saver."