Older GP100 vs current GP100 Match Champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ml1209

Single-Sixer
Just curious as to which one would you pick if given the choice between the two.

The older one has cast trigger (not MIM), a true 4" barrel (not 4.2") and rubber grips with wood insert. Stamped Southport, Conn.

Match Champion does not have full underlug. This particular MC has the adjustable sights. Stamped Newport, NH.

Older GP100:

MC:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have a pair of GP's,,, and one of them is a MC. The other one is a bit older, but has a longer barrel.

Both are superb guns, and if I was so inclined, I'd get whichever one fit me the best. I did find the MC's grips fit MY hands quite well.

I'm partial to the Plain-Jane version.

The Match Champion strikes me as a bit "fancy," but no more useful for my purposes.

That said, if I came across a good deal on the Match Champion, I wouldn't hesitate!

gunzo

Hunter
Years ago I shot PPC matches & would have chosen the full underlug for recoil control, allowing the sights to remain on target.

For modern combat type matches with a lot of gun movement, I might prefer the "lighter up front" MC.

For field carry, I'd choose the lighter MC. I have.

MIM is not, I repeat, not, a factor for me. If the process is done correctly, MIM is as good, sometimes better than anything of near comparable cost.

YMMV

hittman

Staff member
Uncle Howie said:
I'm partial to the Plain-Jane version.

The Match Champion strikes me as a bit "fancy," but no more useful for my purposes.

That said, if I came across a good deal on the Match Champion, I wouldn't hesitate!

Uncle Howie nailed it.
I'd buy whichever is cheaper and if that happened to be the MC, those hideous grips would make great kindling ..... or trade stock.

contender

Ruger Guru
Those grips may not look as pretty as you'd like,,, but they fit my hands quite well. And fit & comfort are very important for good shooting.

ml1209

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Those grips may not look as pretty as you'd like,,, but they fit my hands quite well. And fit & comfort are very important for good shooting.

Which grips are you talking about - the rubber ones or the wood ones on the Match?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a 4" like the older one you show on top with the full underlug. Guess I would say I am partial to that style but it is a little heavier. For a carry gun I would go for the Match Champion because of the .2" longer barrel. Ya just can't get enough velocity when you are shooting someone.

....ok so I was kidding. :D :D

mg357

Bearcat
I would pick the older model because it has the full length barrel underlug and the rubber grips with the wood inserts.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oops,, I forgot to add which grips I prefer. The grips & balance of the Match Champion were what made me buy my first GP-100 for myself. Those grips on the MC fit MY hands quite well.

Thel

Blackhawk
IF one could get the Match Champion with the old style firing pin and bushing I would go with that as like the half lug and lighter weight. Grips are easily changed. If Ruger had ever offered the old style with a 1/2 lug barrel in 3" or 4" and adjustable sight I would go with that. Shims can always be added.