4" Gp100 Unfluted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Love the look of the GP100 44spl unfluted, but don't shoot 44 and don't want to add another caliber. Is cutting down the Talo version from 6" to 4" feasible and at what cost? Seems reasonable to me, but on the other hand maybe Ruger will do it for me in the near future? Just don't have a need for the 6" monster.

Thanks

Thel

Blackhawk
2 ways to put a 4" bbl. on it. (1) Find a 4" bbl and pay a gunsmith to change bbls. (2) Have a gunsmith cut and crown the bbl. and put a new sight on it or modify the bbl. to take the factory interchangeable sight. If doing the latter Dave Clements will do this for $250. Ahlmann's in MN also does this.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Seems like buying the 4" and having it installed would be somethicg a local smith could handle and thst be less costly for shipping and faster. Those high profile smiths have long wait last time I checked. Thanks for the idea of a new 4"!

hittman

Staff member
Summit Gun Broker in Grain Valley MO shows on his web site a blued full lug 5" .... maybe that's an option for you. Blued sure is purty. :lol:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Call Ruger and see what they want for a 4" (probably 4.2" these days) factory barrel. You could probably recover some of your costs by selling the OEM 6" barrel.

Thel

Blackhawk
Going the barrel replacement is probably the less expensive route (I bought a 3" SS bbl a while back for $70) for a GP. It also allows you to have the barrel/cylinder gap optimized along with endshake(if needed) and headspace minimized. The only thing I am wary of is that the gunsmith might use the "old hammer handle through the cylinder window" of the frame and botch the frame up. Inserts for barrel wrench tool seem to be readily available for S&W but not for Ruger. I don't think Ruger will part with a barrel as they don't like to have the gun configuration changed for some reason.

JStacy

Blackhawk
When I ask Ruger about some modifications on one of my guns they told me that they would not alter the configuration of a gun from what it was when It left the factory.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You can't buy a barrel from Ruger. You're almost always going to be money ahead to shorten a factory barrel than to replace one. Especially if the replacement requires extensive fitting. Then you also get to pick your own front sight configuration.

Thel said:
The only thing I am wary of is that the gunsmith might use the "old hammer handle through the cylinder window" of the frame and botch the frame up. Inserts for barrel wrench tool seem to be readily available for S&W but not for Ruger.
Uberti hasn't seemed to have any issues with using that method to install barrels for the last 50-60yrs.

Latest posts