Looking for Ruger Blackhawk 9 mm cylinder dimensions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Glocking26

Bearcat
Hi to all.
I'm looking for a 9mm cylinder for my Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw revolver. It being an older 3 screw gun I know the frame is smaller then the new model Blackhawk. I see some on eBay but before I buy one I need to know the dimensions of the one I need to fit it so I figured I would ask the experts here in the board. Thanks for the help.
Mike

hittman

Staff member
If you have the 357 cylinder for your gun buy a 9mm as close to the same OAL as yours.

Glocking26

Bearcat
hittman said:
If you have the 357 cylinder for your gun buy a 9mm as close to the same OAL as yours.
I found one on eBay and asked the person selling it to use a micrometer and give me the dimensions and the dimensions are larger than mine so I think it wouldn't even fit in the frame but thank you for the suggestion.
Mike

Mike, yes the "new model" is considerably larger than the old model....
NM is body length 1.642 long ( body, not overall) and 1.730 dia, and the gas ring ( stud) in the front end is .160 "

the OM ( protected sight version) is 1.603 long (Body, NOT overall)) and the dia is 1.671 " and the gas seal is .087

all of these are "nominal" may differ cyl to cyl...., got these from Roland Kirsch drawings for the BIll Ross book on the 357 mag............... 8)

hope this helps :wink:

Glocking26

Bearcat
Yes!! I does help thank you very much. Now all I have to do is find one:) if you know of any place where to find one please let me know. Thanks again.
Mike

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Glocking26 said:
hittman said:
I found one on eBay and asked the person selling it to use a micrometer and give me the dimensions and the dimensions are larger than mine so I think it wouldn't even fit in the frame but thank you for the suggestion.
Mike

Mike, that's exactly what you want; slightly longer overall length so you can file and stone it to the perfect fit in your frame! You don't want a cyl that's shorter than yours (much more complicated to make it longer), and you're very unlikely to find one the exact length as yours.

How much longer than your cyl was the one on Ebay?

Ebay and Gunbroker are the best places to find a cyl. Also advertise for one in the classifieds section of this forum.

Also be aware that the New Model 357/9MM convertible Flat Top Blackhawks use the same size cyl as your 3 screw because they're also built on the mid-size frame.

Glocking26

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
Glocking26 said:
hittman said:
Mike

Mike, that's exactly what you want; slightly longer overall length so you can file and stone it to the perfect fit in your frame! You don't want a cyl that's shorter than yours (much more complicated to make it longer), and you're very unlikely to find one the exact length as yours.

How much longer than your cyl was the one on Ebay?

Ebay and Gunbroker are the best places to find a cyl. Also advertise for one in the classifieds section of this forum.

Also be aware that the New Model 357/9MM convertible Flat Top Blackhawks use the same size cyl as your 3 screw because they're also built on the mid-size frame.
Here are The dimensions of my cylinder
Overall 1.81.60 with bushing in ratchet
Without pushing and ratchet 1.60.35
The circumference of the cylinder 1.67.15

The one on eBay that he says is for a new model Blackhawk
Overall 1.975 with bushing and ratchet
Without pushing and ratchet 1.640
The circumference of the cylinder 1.725

What concerns me is this a conference dimension is bigger and I'm not sure if it'll fit in my frame and there's nothing I can do about that dimension.
Thank you so much with helping me out with this it's just so confusing with all of the different models and frame sizes and this is my first Blackhawk.
Thanks again
Mike

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
"The circumference of the cylinder 1.67.15"

"The circumference of the cylinder 1.725"

Circumference is the measurement AROUND the cylinder. The diameter is the measurement of the widest part of the cylinder.

s4s4u

Hunter

What's with the extra decimal?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Glocking26 said:
s4s4u said:

What's with the extra decimal?

Not sure that's what the micrometer reads digitally.

Those aren't valid numbers, they should read:
1.816"
1.6035"
1.6715"

Your identical inquiry over on the "other" RugerForum is providing more details . . .

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/355009-looking-dimensions-9mm-blackhawk-3-screw-frame.html

;-)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's not that confusing.

1. Forget about CIRCUMFERENCE; the cyl DIAMETER is the most important dimension to start with; that most easily differentiates a mid frame from a large frame, see below.

2. The New Model 357 Flat Top Blackhawk and New Model 357 Blackhawk are different models with different size frames/cyls.

3. Once you find one with proper diameter, then consider the OAL dimension.

And unless you have a lathe, stick to looking for an old model 9MM cyl because they are mid size and all the other dimensions will be right.

A new model mid size 9mm cyl can be fitted to an old model 357 which is a mid frame but other cyl dimensions will vary and need additional fitting fitting besides OA Length.

CYLINDER SIZE COMPARISONS:

--------------------------------------MID SIZE FRAME CYLS----------------------LARGE FRAME CYLS
--------------------------------------Old & New Model Cyls
-----------------------------------------Flat Top BH---------------------------------Original Vaquero
---------------------------------------& New Vaquero-------------------------------& Blackhawk

Cylinder Overall Length --------1.830 - 1.865" (cyl body 1.610)---------1.978" (cyl body 357=1.642, & 1.703")
Cylinder Diameter---------------1.675"----------------------------------------1.732"

That diameter given for cyl on Gunbroker tells you right off that it's the wrong size for your 3 screw mid frame; it's for a large frame.

Glocking26

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
It's not that confusing.

1. Forget about CIRCUMFERENCE; the cyl DIAMETER is the most important dimension to start with; that most easily differentiates a mid frame from a large frame, see below.

2. The New Model 357 Flat Top Blackhawk and New Model 357 Blackhawk are different models with different size frames/cyls.

3. Once you find one with proper diameter, then consider the OAL dimension.

And unless you have a lathe, stick to looking for an old model 9MM cyl because they are mid size and all the other dimensions will be right.

A new model mid size 9mm cyl can be fitted to an old model 357 which is a mid frame but other cyl dimensions will vary and need additional fitting fitting besides OA Length.

CYLINDER SIZE COMPARISONS:

--------------------------------------MID SIZE FRAME CYLS----------------------LARGE FRAME CYLS
--------------------------------------Old & New Model Cyls
-----------------------------------------Flat Top BH---------------------------------Original Vaquero
---------------------------------------& New Vaquero-------------------------------& Blackhawk

Cylinder Overall Length --------1.830 - 1.865" (cyl body 1.610)---------1.978" (cyl body 357=1.642, & 1.703")
Cylinder Diameter---------------1.675"----------------------------------------1.732"

That diameter given for cyl on Gunbroker tells you right off that it's the wrong size for your 3 screw mid frame; it's for a large frame.

Thank you for breaking it all down. Being new to this type of handgun I have questions about it and I thank everyone here for trying to help me out with it. EBay has some for the New model Blackhawk now I know they will not fit my gun. Now the hunt is on to find one a gunsmith can work with to fit my gun.
Thanks to all.
Mike

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You're welcome Mike.

If you find an old model cyl, you could be home free, or after a few file strokes.

If you're using a gunsmith, don't over look a new model cyl of the right diameter and OA Length. He can make the rest work

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Also at a bit of a loss as I have a spare 9MM cylinder I picked up with no history. From what I read here it seems to be a full sized ,new model Blackhawk as the dia. reads 1.729on my caliper(which of course can be + or - a tad.)
Problem comes up at length. Body is OK at 1.642 but overall is short at 1.957.
Did their specs cover one this short or do we assume it has been tweeked to too short .
Save it ?, fixable ? or is it a pencil holder ?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Definitely fixable.

The gas ring in front is ~ .020" too short.

The technique is to drill out the gas ring and about 1/2" into the cyl. and the hole reamed for a nice even # like 3/8". Then a new gas ring is turned on a lathe, pressed in, and then final fitting to length of frame opening.

Latest posts