Ruger Old Model .357 Blackhawk check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I ran across a Ruger Blackhawk Old Model today at the local gunshop, it's definitely what one would call a shooter. It's in .357 with a 4 5/8" barrel, not a flat top, I think it's late 60's. The grips are original, but worn. The finish is about 60%, well worn but it's honest holster wear, no abuse. The gun was never sent back to have the transfer bar added and the action is super slick. The only thing is that the rear sight blade is missing, the rear sight is there, just the blade itself needs replacing. The rifling is good, nice bore. The shop wants $300 for it, worth the money?

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Yes sir, grab it!

A rear sight blade might run you $25 at most. Probably be able to hot dip the gun for $100. You'd be walking away with a $425 3-screw in great condition.

Does it have a box, papers or anything?

David LaPell

Blackhawk
lvtwentytwo said:
Yes sir, grab it!

A rear sight blade might run you $25 at most. Probably be able to hot dip the gun for $100. You'd be walking away with a $425 3-screw in great condition.

Does it have a box, papers or anything?

No box or papers, I will have to see if the shop will let me put something down on it, I don't have $300 to spare at the moment.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
You know, it is a good deal if you need/want the gun and have the money readily available with no other need for it. But if both those things are not true then it is just not worth the trouble. I admire the OM .357 because of the size but I am managing to live just fine without one.

Flame away....

trapperon

Blackhawk
David

Yes--sounds like its definately worth the money. Its one of those guns I think you would enjoy and always be able to easily get your money back out of--if not make a profit. It seems like those with some ware on them are perhaps more fun to shoot as there is less worry involved as far as depreciation or cosmetic issues. Those old model small frame 357's just seem special since they were discontinued so long ago!
Good luck and keep us posted!

Ron

BrewsterII

Bearcat
Sounds like a great gun and the price is good. I'd be buying that piece ASAP.

Honest worn bluing adds character, something SS guns lack. Definitely not a parts gun by what you described.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Ruger may send you one free. But, don't tell them it's for an Old Model. Do you have any other Ruger Single Actions? Tell operator you need a rear sight blade for a NM. Ruger would not sell me grip panels for an OM Super BH. As soon as I gave her serial # for a NM Super, grips were in the mail.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger will send you a new blade free, any part under $25.

If they just send the rear sight blade, you'll get the current version which has a little bump on the front side that you'll need to file off to fit your sight base which doesn't have the 'keyway'* for the bump.

They'll also send you the entire current sight assembly which is all steel, not the alum alloy of yours. Here's the ph #: (336) 949-5200

This is the newer steel sight. *Notice the keyway in front of the rear sight blade:

orig.jpg

The steel sight will have this bump underneath but will fit your gun just fine. I've installed these on old models many times:

orig.jpg

Changing the entire rear sight can be easier than just replacing the sight blade. But be aware there are two coil springs under it.