357 handloads with bullseye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

puke

Bearcat
I was just given some handloads with 7.1gr. bullseye, 125 grain gold dot hollow points,.. In winchester nickel cases.
THis is not a load I would ever load myself. Don't believe in fast powders in a magnum gun. I'm trying to find out if that's a medium pressure load, or low? or high? or what. Wish I had the cases and primers without the loads.

Anyway,.. no matter how good the loads are,.I am always leery when someone even thinks of using bullseye in a 357 or 44 mag, etc., I sure hate to toss them cause I want the brass. They were sure done well.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
That sounds awfully hot. Alliant doesn't even publish Bullseye loads for the .357 with 125 gr jacketed bullets and Hodgdon lists 7.5 gr of Titegroup as a maximum load with this bullet type and Titegroup is somewhat "slower" than Bullseye. I'd be cautious.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Yes, 7.1 grains of Bullseye is quite a hot load. Not one I'd make for myself, nor would I shoot them. I'd pull the bullets and salvage the components.

I do load 357 with a similar fast powder - 700-X - for plinking at the range. Per the burn rate chart, 700-X is slightly faster than Bullseye. The 700-X load, however, is 5.7 grains with a 158 grain projectile. This load is provided by the Hogdgon load data website. This not a true magnum load, but it's real good for target shooting at the range, and it's a step up from the 38 SPL giving a bit more bump.

Bayou

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Shooting other people's reloads is not a good idea. I just loaded .357's with AA#9, 2400, and IMR 4227. Speer #10, 1979, has Bullseye, 125 gr, 7.8-8.3 grs. It has 158 gr with 7 grs of Bullseye. 700X slightly lower loads listed.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Thing with Bullseye, 5 grs in a .45 Auto brass, fills to half full. Or close. It would be easy to double charge a .357 brass with 7 grs. I like the other powders like H 110. Fills case close to top.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
All of you Ruger enthusiasts open your R.L.Wilson's book, "Ruger and His Guns", to page 126. When Bill was developing the Old Army, it was tested with Bullseye. Bill Ruger and Harry Sefried tried to blow the cylinder apart. Didn't happen!

woodsy

Blackhawk
It's relatively simple to look up published loads for Bullseye, whether online (by the powder maker), or in manuals like my Lyman one. Its (the Lyman manual) max load is 8.6 gr. Bullseye for 125 gr. jacketed bullets to give 1315 fps, and 6.8 gr. Bullseye for 125 gr. linotype bullets to give 1158 fps. Bad advice to ask for what people may think, absent actual physical instrumented testing.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
woodsy said:
It's relatively simple to look up published loads for Bullseye, whether online (by the powder maker), or in manuals like my Lyman one. Its (the Lyman manual) max load is 8.6 gr. Bullseye for 125 gr. jacketed bullets to give 1315 fps, and 6.8 gr. Bullseye for 125 gr. linotype bullets to give 1158 fps. Bad advice to ask for what people may think, absent actual physical instrumented testing.
I think those of us who answered the OP did try to find published loads matching his question and didn't find any in the sources we had. Therefore we recommended caution. I don't think that was bad advice.

How recent are those loads you cite? Many older sources were based on obsolete pressure measurements and are not trustworthy either.

woodsy

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
woodsy said:
I think those of us who answered the OP did try to find published loads matching his question and didn't find any in the sources we had. Therefore we recommended caution. I don't think that was bad advice.

How recent are those loads you cite? Many older sources were based on obsolete pressure measurements and are not trustworthy either.
As recent as the very latest printing of the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Reloading Handbook. I don't think anyone else REALLY looked to find those loads. Caution is always recommended and useful. Here's one of Alliant's current pages:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=1&cartridge=28

puke

Bearcat
woodsy said:

I didn't think of looking in my Lyman stuff. I'm sure it's in there but I've pretty much decided to trade somebody for other components. I do not shoot 125 gr. anyway, Mostly just max loads of 158 gr. gas checks and 2400,..110 once in a while.. and AA#7 once in a longer while.

grobin

Blackhawk
Looking at the Lyman 49 th and the link above it is on the high side. I agree with erring on the side of caution. You should be able to use these without blowing up your pistol; but i'd disassemble them and start over from the recommended low load or just use the bulls eye where it's a better choice!

JStacy

Blackhawk
I was given some 44 mag reloads from a "meticulous reloader " I shot a few in my super red hawk. one out of five had to be driven out of the cylinder.

44 Mag Encore had sticky extraction. I have tried to pull the bullets, most won't budge with an inertia puller. The rest are going into a deep hole in the ground !!

Unless it is factory ,if I did not load it I wont shoot it in my guns.

puke

Bearcat
JStacy said:
I was given some 44 mag reloads from a "meticulous reloader " I shot a few in my super red hawk. one out of five had to be driven out of the cylinder.

44 Mag Encore had sticky extraction. I have tried to pull the bullets, most won't budge with an inertia puller. The rest are going into a deep hole in the ground !!

Unless it is factory ,if I did not load it I wont shoot it in my guns.
My experience with an inertial bullet puller is that heavier bullets pull easy and lighter ones don't. I don't recall pulling 357 bullets before. Just 44 mag.. I have a collet puller but I doubt I have a collet for the 357.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
woodsy said:
Here's one of Alliant's current pages:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=1&cartridge=28
I did look at that exact web site and Alliant doesn't list ANY Bullseye loads for 125 grain jacketed bullets.

The fact that Lyman does not even list a Bullseye load for a 125gr GDHP should say something.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?page=/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx&gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=28&bulletid=28

:roll:

woodsy

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
woodsy said:
Here's one of Alliant's current pages:

I did look at that exact web site and Alliant doesn't list ANY Bullseye loads for 125 grain jacketed bullets.
Look again.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
The fact that Lyman does not even list a Bullseye load for a 125gr GDHP should say something.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=28&bulletid=28

:roll:
As I said, look again. Apparently Alliant has more than one site showing their loads. This is a direct copy-and-paste from their site using Google search, for .357 mag and Bullseye:

Caliber Bullet Case Minimum OAL
(inches) Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight
(grains) Velocity
(fps) Notes
357 Magnum 158 gr Speer LSWC Speer 1.57 6 CCI 500 Bullseye 4.8 939 -
357 Magnum 110 gr Speer UCHP Speer 1.575 6 CCI 500 Bullseye 8.7 1,403 -

It just happens to coincide exactly with my Lyman manual, other than not showing min. loads.

And look again at my link. It shows safe loads for the 125gr GDHP bullet.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?page=/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx&gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=28&bulletid=28

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Bullseye or BE-86? Not the same powder!

If it were me I would pull the bullets, reload the cases with something mild, and put the bullets back in and shoot them for practice.

Why would you shoot someone else reloads of a load you would not load and shoot yourself? Makes no sense to me.

Or just toss them and order a 1000 .357 cases. .357 cases can be had pretty cheaply.