Local shop Bisley 357 - Bought it!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I believe Ruger only made 'blue' ones along with 41 magnum and 44 magnum at one time. I have a 357 and a 44 magnum just like that. It is the ultimate launch platform for the .357 cartridge.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you enjoy 357 and want one,,, this is a good one to get. Not too common and desirable to many.

Oh, and jimbo,,, the "ultimate launch platform for the .357 cartridge" has to go to the Redhawk 6 shot 357 as it can handle ANY safe 357 load built with ease.

s4s4u

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
I believe Ruger only made 'blue' ones along with 41 magnum and 44 magnum at one time. I have a 357 and a 44 magnum just like that. It is the ultimate launch platform for the .357 cartridge.

And 45 Colt. I have one of those that I hunt deer with.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...forgot to mention Accusport had Ruger make many Stainless Bisleys in various calibers and barrel lengths but none in 7.5".

Tip

Single-Sixer
I'd have to agree with Contender, if we're only including Rugers in the "ultimate (.357) platform"...

I do love my Rugers but, I'd have to throw the S&W 627-0 into the contest, weighing in at a hefty 50 oz. (3 lbs, 2 oz.).

fara5h.jpg

I have to disagree with the best launch platform for a hunting 357 revolver. The redhawk was short lived here. I found the large frame 357 Blackhawks would take any load the case was capable of holding. I was able to assemble loads well above book loads in either one without any problems till the brass became the weak link.

The problem I had with the Redhawk, which is a fine gun in it's own right, but very bulky, leaves much to be desired for a hunting trigger in single action, which is all I use in hunting situations, and not nearly as nimble to carry and use.

The one thing none of the double actions can equal over the Blackhawk single action is, trigger pull! There is no finer single action trigger pull available than on the Blackhawks. all mine are under 2.5# and some closer to 2# or a tad under, with crisp no travel breaks. In my opinion,,, the Blackhawk as a hunting round in 357 is the Ultimate Launch platform!

I know some think double action could be needed if charged by a ??? bear???? or maybe a cougar??? Sorry my thinking is if I'm hunting in these enviornments where dangerous game could be a human threat, I wouldn't consider a 357 as worthy hunting gun in this enviornment, but then just maybe a clumsier, double action could be considered a better launch platform, but it sure wouldn't be in this caliber.

Lastly I have to question what what anyone calls hunting loads that thinks a 686 or even the beefier in my opinion GP-100 ,as being anywhere close to equal, to take the same heavy loads I assemble with 180 grain slugs to any Redhawk or Blackhawk,,, to think they are is just fantasy!

Now to the OP Buckey Bill, I would grab that Bisley, as I personally like the bisley over the standard single action grip frame, and this kinda hard to find at times in the 357 caliber. I was lucky enough to grab one of the even rarer 5.5" which is my favorite barrel length or close to it 6" being perfect, and in Stainless Steel. But was almost ready to grab the next blued Bisley I cam across when I stumbled into the 5.5" Stainless unfluted here. I have had excellent luck with my 180 grain Mihec Large Hollow point bullet weighing 172 grains as I cast it, driven to 1455 fps average, with under 1" 25 yards groups. This gun you are looking at would no doubt be capable of equaling this performance, and I believe it would be very difficult to ask much more out of a 357 cartridge without extending the barrel, as there is no advantage to extending the frame or cylinder for this cartridge. JMHO

Buy it, it won't last long, and many think it will be the best launch platform for a 357 hunting cartridge!

cas6969

Buckeye
I want a 357 Bisley to make into a .357/44 Bain and Davis.

I never sought one out for the conversion because once I do, after a bit it will be "Now what?" :lol:
But if one ever falls in my lap, I'll be sure to snap it up. ;)

Thought I would bring this post back to the top.

I did not move on that Bisley in a timely manner and as they say, "if you snooze, you lose".

It was gone within a week as I returned to see if fate had dealt me a good hand. No such luck.

One thing that I have found to be true in life is that you sometimes get a second chance.

On my return to my LGS, I discovered a long row of single action Rugers in the used section. I scanned the row of guns

and spotted a Bisley in the group. Those seem to be my current favorite flavor.

On close inspection, I note that it is a 7.5 inch Bisley in 357. Well, that is interesting.

This one is in better condition but the price was the same.

On closer inspection the gun appeared to be in very good condition. I pulled the hammer back and gently pulled the trigger to discover an impressively smooth trigger. I handed the gun back to consider my options.

Bill

After about 3 minutes of considering if I really needed that Bisley, I decided to make an offer. They are asking $599. I asked if they had any room to bring the price down a little. They countered with $559. At that point, they explain that it comes with a holster. I was not expecting much. I was thinking that they would show me an "Uncle Mikes" nylon holster. They pulled out a nice leather holster that was in a plastic bag behind the counter. After seeing the holster, I accept their offer and start the paper work. I guess that sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for.

Bill

Latest posts