Sold a Taurus......bought a Ruger. Ammo question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Today, I was set up at the show. I only had one firearm to sell and a bunch of odds and ends. Before the show opened to the public, a guy I know bought my Taurus 431 44spcl revolver I had been trying to sell for awhile. I was pleased and glad I didn't have to carry that revolver around anymore. I wasn't looking to buy anything today......

THEN, the guy behind me was setting up and I noticed he had a boxed SP101 he was setting out. On further examination I noticed it was a 3" barreled "125 gr bullet only" 357 model. KSP-331. So we made a deal. Now it is in my safe..... :D

My question would be; will all 125gr 357 Mag factory ammo fit the chambers of this revolver??

Thanks, Dave

GKC

Blackhawk
I've never heard of a revolver that was chambered for one bullet weight only. Of course, I don't know everything, not by a long shot. I'll be interested in the replies to this one!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The problem is the rather short cylinder.
You can load almost any bullet you want if you do it yourself and are careful of the pressure but your factory ammo will be limited by it's COL.

pisgah

Buckeye
GKC said:
I've never heard of a revolver that was chambered for one bullet weight only. Of course, I don't know everything, not by a long shot. I'll be interested in the replies to this one!

The original SP-101 was chambered in .38 Special, and the cylinder was sized appropriately to chamber any .38 Special load. Folks noted right away, though, that the SP-101 was sturdy enough to handle .357 Magnum ammo. One problem -- any .357 load with a heavier-than-125 gr. bullet was too long to fit the cylinder without the bullet nose poking out. So, Ruger went ahead and re-chambered the gun for .357 with the "no bullet over 125 gr." limitation for a while, finally redesigning the gun with a slightly longer cylinder in both .38 and .357.

GKC

Blackhawk
pisgah said:
GKC said:

The original SP-101 was chambered in .38 Special, and the cylinder was sized appropriately to chamber any .38 Special load. Folks noted right away, though, that the SP-101 was sturdy enough to handle .357 Magnum ammo. One problem -- any .357 load with a heavier-than-125 gr. bullet was too long to fit the cylinder without the bullet nose poking out. So, Ruger went ahead and re-chambered the gun for .357 with the "no bullet over 125 gr." limitation for a while, finally redesigning the gun with a slightly longer cylinder in both .38 and .357.

Thanks for the information! That's very interesting.

Before Ruger decided to chamber for the 125 grain 357, many gunsmith's were already doing this.

Your title got my attention. I just bought a Ruger SRH Alaskan and the day it arrived I sold my Taurus Tracker 44.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Nice Dave. Did those grips come with it? I think you will like it. 125 JHP is a very reliable load for personal defense as I'm sure you already know. Those are few and far between anymore. I prefer the 3"er myself.

Those are Eagle grips. Fits the hand well... When I get back from vacation I will try it out.....

WAYNO and I shot this revolver today. With 125gr .357 defense loads it was accurate and with the Eagle grips surprisingly easy shooting. Muzzle blast gets your attention. I need to address double action trigger pull and that is the only negative.

All and all a good little revolver.

Dave

grobin

Blackhawk
As for double action, when I carried one I just carried it cocked and treated it like a modern single action.

Heliman said:
WAYNO and I shot this revolver today. With 125gr .357 defense loads it was accurate and with the Eagle grips surprisingly easy shooting. Muzzle blast gets your attention. I need to address double action trigger pull and that is the only negative.

All and all a good little revolver.

Dave

I've shot my share of SP101's, and although they are still the best handling small-frame .357, they are still a handful when shooting .357's. And yep, these Eagle grips made the shooting much more pleasant.

And Dave...I did look for the spring kit. I've found nothing other than the empty package.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I like Wilson combat spring kits for the SP101 and GP100. Good choice and I have not had a FTF with them and the DA pull on my SP101 is much improved.
However I don't carry a loaded SP101 with the hammer cocked and would avoid people that do !! :-0
BTW the gold dot 357 125 are supposed to be first rate defense loads.

grobin

Blackhawk
As for double action, when I carried one I just carried it cocked and treated it like a modern single action.

Am I missing something here? Are you saying you carried it cocked over a loaded cylinder? Please clarify.... :shock:

Dave, yes I just treat the modern DA like SA. They will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, so why not? Gets rid of the dangerous DA heavy crummy trigger problem.

grobin said:

Am I missing something here? Are you saying you carried it cocked over a loaded cylinder? Please clarify.... :shock:

Dave, yes I just treat the modern DA like SA. They will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, so why not? Gets rid of the dangerous DA heavy crummy trigger problem.

:shock: Very unsafe IMHO.... I would discourage carrying in that manner. Good luck to you...and bystanders going forward.