Modern Guns do not shoot cast bullets !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
That was the line I got from a gun store owner when I commented about my 3" LCRX 's accuracy or the lack thereof !! Interesting point of view !
I happen to think the guy is full of beans , but what do I know I've only been shooting revolvers for 53 years or so.
On inspection the gun did seem to have very shallow rifling but it still should shoot cast bullets. Remember 22LR's have very shallow rifling and they darn sure shoot lead bullets. When I talked to a Ruger CSR he recommended I only shoot jacketed bullets in the gun. Going plinking with 25-35 cents per round just for the bullets does not make much sense.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Well my wife and I shoot 158 grain hardcast in our 38 lcr snub's and they are plenty accurate. Have you tried different weight bullets and powder and or charge weights? Our's did not shoot point of aim with 125's but the 158's have been superb.

loaded round

Hunter
I've been shooting revolvers for as long as you have and if I may, suggest your try a very hard cast bullet like those sold by Oregon Trail. Excellent cast bullets and fairly reasonable buying bulk. They used to mail out free 5 pack samples upon request, but not sure if they still do so.

Snake45

Hawkeye
He was probably thinking of the Glock warning about not shooting cast bullets in their weird polygon rifling.

5of7

Hunter
Measure the throats in the cylinder.
Hopefully the throats will be .001 to .002 larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. If so, bullets sized to the cylinder throat diameter, or even .001 over that will likely shoot just fine. 8)

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
5of7 said:
Measure the throats in the cylinder.
Hopefully the throats will be .001 to .002 larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. If so, bullets sized to the cylinder throat diameter, or even .001 over that will likely shoot just fine. 8)

^^^+1 ^^^

contender

Ruger Guru
Just because he can get an FFL,, open a store,, sell, & handle firearms does NOT make him an expert.
As noted,,, cast can & will work in most guns quite well.
PS; I own a couple of LCR's and I'd NOT hesitate to use cast in mine.

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
Few year ago was at the range shooting my Python with cast swc,s the "expert" next to me got going about my choice of bullet. By his thinking All cast lead was just junk bullets and should be dumped in the trash! What was he shooting S&W 10 with full wadcutters! So much for some "experts"!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
He was probably thinking of the Glock warning about not shooting cast bullets in their weird polygon rifling.
I was thinking the same thing. I certainly wouldn't apply that concept to all modern handguns.

I never shoot anything but what I cast in my revolvers and pistols, and expect them to shoot better than anything I've seen with jackets,, meaning less presure faster with the same weight in cast, and accurate to a fault, not needing barrel cleaning! That goes from 454 casual to 22LR and most in between. My newest is a GP-100 with a 125 grain WFN running nearly 1600 fps,, I just tried one powder, one primer, and one bullet but for such short testing, I think it qualifies as worthy ammo with 6 out of 7 in one ragged hole? Maybe I just don't know how good jackets can shoot,,,, :?
NOE115-315_FN-_DAY-1.jpg

126-grain-_FN-day2-_II.jpg
Day-2-126-grn-_FN.jpg

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
My Taurus M66 357mag will shoot 38Spec with 158 grain cast bullets more accurate than most good shooters can hold it, and much better than with jacketed bullets. I also have an old FEG pistol chambered in 9mmMak and it is crazy accurate with cast bullets but just shoots OK with jacketed.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Well I've got too many accurate revolvers to list so I will just say now I have one "less" accurate revolver. I usually use wheel weights with a pound of linotype added to a 10# pot and they shoot great out of most of my guns from 357 snub to 14" 30/30 Contender . I also cast for everything I own and WC that is some seriously good groups from your 327. My 4.2" Sp 101 327 shoots great also with the RCBS 95 CSW and 2400.
I just thought you guys would get a kick out of "no modern guns shoot cast bullets" BTW my friend has a LCR 38 and his is accurate to 50 yards , shooting like cast bullet loads with no leading. Surprised to Ruger CSR did bot offer a return to check for the CRX 3" but what the heck it's gone as well as the SP101 9MM.
My 3" 357 SP101 shoot some pretty warm 158 CSW loads quite well so it will serve for social occasions and poisonous snake encounters.
Lucky I have a couple of Taurus Trackers and they shoot cast bullets quite well also.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I've had ( and have) pistols and revolvers that never saw a factory or jacketed load, among them was a few Glocks, a Ruger .45 cal convertible, a SRH .480, a SRH .44 mag, 2 SBH, an Encore pistol in .454, well, just almost anything that I bought gets cast... Some people just read stuff and ASSUME that it's gospel.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
I had a leading problem but I switched over to moly coated bullets and the leading went away. I did notice there's no instructions about using moly coated bullets. I notice the bore is a grayish color. I just mop it, I don't wash it. The moly is in the pores of the metal. The mop cleans the barrel. No solvent. I been using moly since the 70's.

Major T

Blackhawk
I don't have a LCR, but my two Ruger .44s, a 50th .44 Magnum Anniversary and a SS FT ..44 Special are both on a diet of hard cast 240 grain Keith Type bullets. They both like them just fine. My S&W snub noses get wadcutters for practice and they do not object.

Jack

Sadly, many folks who work selling firearms are the worst source of correct information. I've personally overheard some complete cow manure cross their lips. I have not and will not shy away from correcting them.

I'm polite when I do, and I always ask to speak to their boss when I'm done. I make sure the boss knows that they need to educate their employees better. I have been ask, once, to leave a shop and never return. But I figure I've done more good with the one incident than they will ever inflict on me.

Oh, and Glocks shoot cast just fine. Either that or I'm living in an alternate universe.

sixshot

Buckeye
It's a rare gun that won't shoot cast great! That can be a revolver, a semi auto, etc. doesn't matter, if you do your part the gun will shoot cast bullets as good as jacketed in new guns or old guns.

Dick