David Clements Custom Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The end is near! More than two years ago I emailed him to have him convert a revolver for me. He said it would be a year before I would have to mail in my gun. I did that in January of 2017. Last December he said he was almost done, so I mailed him a Bearcat to have his Bearcat accuracy package. He told me the Bearcat was as new, but needed to have the barrel cylinder gap adjusted.

But my other revolver! It was a 30 Carbine with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It is now a 5 1/2 inch octagonal barrel of the 45LC variety. He told me this morning as I was paying, that the 30 Carbines make good 45 project guns because of their cylinder length.

Anyway, he sounded like a pretty nice guy. I told him 10 years ago I saw one of his guns in the "Guns of the Old West" magazine. It was a single six he rounded the grip frame on and made better. Ever since then I've wanted a Clements Custom.

This one has grips from Patrick Grashorn, Clements told me they are smooth with no bark and turned out very nice. The finish on the gun is a matte hard chrome.

I'll post some pictures when I get it. He said it takes a couple weeks to get back from the place doing the hard chrome finish.

Needless to say I'm very very happy.

ClemBert

Bearcat
I've had David do some work for me also...he's a great guy, easy to work with and the end product is awesome....Highly recommend him.

DHD

Single-Sixer
I had him build a Bisquero for me last year and it was everything I hoped it would be. The last part of that sentence is easy to write/say, but it's harder to actually mean it. I went over that revolver with an anal SOB's eyes, and it was perfect. Not cheap at all, but it was worth it.

I bet you'll be glad to get yours back.

win1894s

Blackhawk
Going to have Mr Clements build me a 3 cylinder 38/40_10mm and 40 s&w on 357 3 screw octagonal barrel with # 5 gripframe. It's a 2 plus year wait.

denis

Bearcat
That was probably my Single-Six you saw.
He did an excellent job on it & I highly recommend him.

Denis? That was your single six??? Wow! Yeah, I asked him about it. He didn't remember right away which gun it was. I wasn't specific in my question though. But I've got that magazine saved away somewhere. Do you still have the same grips? They were pretty nice.

I debated a long time on it I should get s custom revolver from Clements or just order s Freedom Arms. The cost is very similar really. I figured the gun I used for the conversion is very special and I should use it.

I've also come to the realization I should make the guns I have better. Such as better triggers or nicer grips, or a high quality reblue; rather than buying more guns. This is just for me. I know others here who think the opposite, which is fine too...

denis

Bearcat
It's one of the finest revolvers I own.
Still just as he crafted it, grips & all.

The thing about custom work is that if you get the right guy to do the job, and you've got the money & patience, it's surprising what a difference in quality you can end up with.

This is not snobbery, it's just an acknowledgement that the manufacturers put out "good", but the custom guys put out "excellent".

And I personally think it's better to have a few "excellents" than a truckload of "goods". :)
Denis