Vaquero shooting high - how to fix?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
This .45 ACP model shoots high, about 3-4 inches at 25 yards with factory 230 FMC's.

What is the best way to bring it closer to point of aim?

I am thinking maybe some layers of JB Weld laid onto the top of the front sight blade?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Your cylinder throats are too small. I went thru same thing. Try slipping a bullet thru cylinder. By no means add JB Weld to front sight. Front sight is not the problem. I have the tools to fix this. I bought a .4525 reamer and pilots to open throats. Common problem on .45 Rugers.

wwb

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
My Vaquero was shooting low,, I had to raise front sight to hit............

????
You sure about that? Raising the front sight would make you shoot even lower.

wwb

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
Yes. It was low. So I raise barrel up to hit target. Isn't that same as raising front sight?

Yup... but most folks call that "changing the sight picture" or something similar. "Raising the front sight" is usually taken to mean a physical adjustment to the sight itself. Hence, the misunderstanding.

sixshot

Buckeye
Check the throats as Dave mentions but if the accuracy is there I use JB Weld all the time & have done it for many years with great success. It's easy to remove if you need to but everyone wants their gun to shoot to point of aim.

Dick

CraigC

Hawkeye
Throats affect point of impact now? News to me.

It needs a taller front sight. I'd skip the JB Weld and opt for a dovetailed post.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Accuracy is decent so I'll check the throats and the bore, but not for point of impact issues.

Probably JB Weld the top of the blade, because it is one layer at a time and reversible, and I don't want to change the simple and clean look of the factory sight. If done right, I think it would be hard to notice.

And I want to use the common and cheaper 230's instead of changing the ammo to fix the gun.

Thanks.

Rclark

Hunter
I used JB Weld on my Sheriff Vaquero. Seems to be holding. I did rough-up the top of the sight a bit to give it a better hold. Not a permanent solution as a taller front sight is really the correct solution. Then you can file it down as needed.

As for throat reaming changing POI ... Well, yes it can. BUT, in the cases I am familiar with, it just tightened the group. If it was shooting high before, it shot high afterward. but did move impact a bit right. That's why you do all your gun smithing before actually adjusting sights and turning barrels...