No market for used Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I have an original Vaquero with 4 5/8" barrel chambered in .44 mag that I have been trying to sell locally for a few weeks with no luck. Yesterday I took it down to the Indy 1500 gun show in Indianapolis (one of the largest shows east of the Mississippi) and had a hand full of low-ball offers and lackluster trade offers. The Vaquero's that I saw for sale on tables were all $600+, and I would have been happy selling or trading it for $500, but no one would even come close. I know I can post it for sale here on the forum, but I would like to avoid the hassle of shipping it if possible. Am I being unrealistic? Or is the market just that soft? FWIW, the show had the smallest crowd I had ever seen, and there wasn't much buying or selling going on other than black plastic pistols :roll:

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Your last few sentences pretty well summed it up. It is definitely a buyers market across the board with the exception being Colt SAA's, they still seem to bring good money.
I think there is a glut in the gun market that we have never seen and only so much money to go around.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I agree 100%. I saw a lot of Colt and S&W revolvers in conditions varying from fair to like-new, all priced high, and no one was buying them...

Agreed. The market is saturated with "tactical" black plastic and "AR" stuff, and there's not as much "hobby money" available.

The selection in the concealed-carry black plastic pistol market is amazing, and prices there are spread all over the range.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Personally, I wouldn't trade a Vaquero like that for 2 black, plastic handguns. I just bought a .45. Colt O.M. Or I would buy your Vaquero. I don't have a 4 5/8" .44 M.

Rclark

Hunter
Saturated is probably the right word. I know in my case it is. I am at the point where I am looking for 'specific' guns. Period. Takes only a few minutes to zip through a gun show and check each table for what I am looking for. I have my .45 Colt 'Vaqueros/New Vaqueros' for example. Only New Vaquero I 'might' pick up is the .44 Special in 5 1/2" blued/case colored. Again ... specific. Not impulse.

like that for 2 black, plastic handguns
Yep... I have absolutely no interest in 'em. Have a buddy at work and these guns are his cat's meow. Talks HKs, SIG, Glocks, etc.... Not for me.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Shipping a gun isn't much of a hastle. Just call an FFL and ask how much he charges. This site is probably going to be your best bet for selling a desirable Vaquero, rather than driving and walking around looking for a buyer.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think it's a combination of several things.
First,,, look at the average handgun buyer. Most are a bit "younger" than those of us who grew up watching westerns. They grew up watching action films with black, plastic & tactical guns. Us older guys,, we like our 6 shooters,, while they like the bottom feeders.
Next, the manufacturers will follow the demands & make what sells. Lots of that type available now.
Throw in the softer gun buying market, because there isn't a current threat to take away all guns,,, JUST the evil looking black rifles. (Of course we know the anti's want them all,,, but they pick on one type at a time.)
Throw in the current political climate,,, where the media & all the hype about students walking out of schools in protest,,, (which we all know is a farce,) and demands for guns have decreased a bit. And of course,,, having a more pro-gun president than the past one,,, has made panic buyers quit looking & spending.
There are also protests outside gun shows & such. it may be keeping folks away from them.
Let's face it,,, western style handguns are not looked as desirable to the masses,,, but when they do go up for sale they are either high priced, or not offered. I know of many gun shops where just seeing a SA offered is not too common. It's about their sales.
Yet,,, when they are offered,,, because there is a dedicated hard core bunch of us old timers,,, prices are high,, and dealers have to make money.
I have been shaking my head at a few offerings here. I see nice, desirable excellent OM 3 screw SA's offered for the same or even less than a NM SA. AND,,, they are not selling. Any OM in excellent condition SHOULD sell for more than any current NM in similar condition.
Vaqueros are excellent for SASS. Yet,,, I think SASS has hit a plateau of activity, and there are more available guns than buyers.

To sell anything,,, you have to present it to a buyers market. If you take a Ford to a hard core Chevy show,,, you will not sell it easily. But take it to a Ford show, and you will get interest, & a buyer if it's reasonable. Same with guns.

I know it seems to be a bit of a hassle to ship a handgun,,, especially in some states. But if you figure out your price, and offer it at that plus actual shipping,,, you can sell it quicker when offered in a place that has buyers. Such as the Forum here.
And,, any FFL can ship a handgun via USPS for about $20,,, IF,,, IF,,, they are set up with the USPS by placing a copy of their FFL with them. I'd find a dealer who will do this. Even if they charge you a small fee to handle it,, it can make the sale painless. I rarely sell a handgun,,, but when I do, I use a small local dealer, who uses the USPS, and I help my dealer by doing all the packaging etc. I make his work less,,,, and he helps by not charging me much.

Oh, and I recently saw a NM Blackhawk 45 Colt, used, no box, in a gun shop,,, for $399.00. In a market area where black, plastic & tactical rules. If I had a need for another NM 45,,, it would have come home with me. Still thinking on it,,, but I have a few other things to buy first.

Revolver are kinda of a nitch market. Most younger buyers like semi pistols Black
Rifles etc. Just like anything else trends change. I still love my revolver but also
have a few pistols. The demand for revolvers is not what it once was.
In a way that's better for revolver buyers not so much for sellers.
Another consideration a dealer will take plastic, buyers now days do not carry wads of cash, some do but we are unique! ps

Three50seven

Buckeye
All good points, and I think we can all agree that SA revolvers are in fact a niche market with the fixed-sight Vaqueros even more so than the Blackhawks and Single-sixes. I guess I am probably one of the few 28 year old's that has a safe full of SA revolvers and lever action rifles, but it's what I like!!

I have actually received a PM from a member here that is interested in buying the Vaquero, so hopefully that works out. I have bought and sold guns on this forum before, and it's not a difficult process, but I still prefer FTF transactions whenever possible.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Your firearm is an excellent one. Why sell it unless you have some special need for $? It's a classic. I have a 1985 Cimarron in 45 Colt. I just spent some bucks having it repaired. I wouldn't sell it. Just an opinion. :)

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I am sure auto-loaders shoot accurate. But a Blackhawk fits me fine. A Single Six to the Big Bores all feel same to me. When the trigger guard hits my knuckles, I slip a Pachmayr on to absorb recoil.

Three50seven, believe it or not, what these guys have been telling you is the good news. The bad news is your gun is worth more now than it will ever be. The audience it appeals to are older folks who grew up with them. They are continuing to get older, and not sure they need all the guns they have already. Young people don't like the same guns their parents did. Good luck

We have a relatively new large gun store and indoor range. Their walls are lined with black rifles and the floor cases are lined with black plastic pistols. There are literally hundreds of each of these. They sell 9mm and .223 by the case.

There is one small case in the corner with maybe a half-dozen Ruger single-actions and a mixture of a dozen or so double-actions.

Times have changed, for sure.

:cry: :roll: :cry: :roll:

hittman

Staff member
powder smoke said:
Revolver are kinda of a nitch market.

And SINGLE action revolvers even more so.

For anybody under about age 40 they don't hold enough ammo, have no extra mags, are heavy and hurts their delecate hands to shoot.

Three50seven

Buckeye
teuthis said:
Your firearm is an excellent one. Why sell it unless you have some special need for $? It's a classic. I have a 1985 Cimarron in 45 Colt. I just spent some bucks having it repaired. I wouldn't sell it. Just an opinion. :)

There is no doubt that it's an excellent and well-built revolver. I don't need the money, but I just like to buy and trade guns. It's just depressing to me that quality and longevity doesn't equate to monetary value in firearms any longer. :(

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
hittman said:
powder smoke said:
Revolver are kinda of a nitch market.

And SINGLE action revolvers even more so.

For anybody under about age 40 they don't hold enough ammo, have no extra mags, are heavy and hurts their delecate hands to shoot.

Some of us young'uns prefer revolvers. But I am an oddity for my age. At 38 I did grow up watching action movies featuring all the plastic fantastics, but I also have an affinity for Westerns and sixguns.

I currently only have modern swing out cylinder DA/SA type revolvers and am considering trading a 9mm SP101 for some sort of Ruger Single Action. But my revolvers far outnumber my semi autos. Each has their place but when it comes to carry and fun at the range I stick to my wheelguns. I despise picking up brass off the ground for reloading and love being able to return from the range with every single piece of brass I fired that day.

Don't worry old timers, there are a few of us young'uns to keep the fires lit!

Morton Co.

Bearcat
Most kids I know like their black guns and mine like his. I do like my Glock 9mm's and ARs but my first love is single action Blackhawks and Marlin lever actions as I grew up watching westerns. My kid has never asked to shoot my revolvers, would rather shoot his Glock 19 and 17. I have offered my .45 ACP Birdshead to the boy to shoot but he doesn't bite.

My brother likes shooting my Blackhawks and he's a pretty young 49 year old. I think he just wants to shoot my ammo up.