LCRX 3" accuracy issues ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have not shot my LCRX3" much but couple of loads I have tried has not yielded very good accuracy !!
All I have for 38 spl loads right now is 158X Bullets over 4.0 Bulls eye . I also have some factory ,aguilla, HBWC loads. Neither of those loads shoot very good , 4-5" at 15 yards, from the LCRX . Both loads shoot good groups out of my Mod 14 and Ruger Single six.
Any one have any success stories , and loading data, they want to share about their LCRX 3"?

I haven't loaded for mine, and haven't shot it enough to speak to this but a guy I know said "I have the 3" version with about 800 rounds through it. Pretty much 99% of the loads are 158gr cast RNFP with 4.5grs of Unique. Trigger is nice and shoots well." I have seen his targets and they are pretty good. Doesn't mean this load would work for you though. All guns are individual.
I would play around with different loads by .1 grains all around what you are using now and see how it works, off a rest. A good rest helps, and I'd also let someone who you know shoots well try it and see how it works for them. Saying that because you don't say about your shooting experience, not trying to offend.

The one I had in .22 was pretty terrible (like 4-6" groups at 15 yards) with every type of ammo I tried in it. I traded the gun off to someone who just wanted to use it with shot loads on snakes.

I suspected it may have been more than difficulties inherent with the light weight gun, spongy grip, and heavy trigger. I couldn't get a decent group even shooting single action off a solid rest.

9x19

Hunter
I only shoot lead bullets in my LCRX, cast 158gr SWC over Accurate Arms #5 powder.

JStacy

Blackhawk
BP, I am getting older, 72, but still able to shoot pretty good. With my better pistols I can dot off a 1 1/2 group at 25 yards off hand , two hands. I was state champion in my class in silhouette , not offended. I shot other pistols the same day to make sure it wasn't me entirely. I have multiple 38 spl loads for my other 38's but have not been loading lately , need to work up some pistol loads. I was mostly wondering if the LCRX 3" tend to like heavier bullets, lighter bullets or just jacketed bullets. I was surprised how poorly the gun shot the HBWC , a favorite load of a 3" Mod 60 I had.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I talked to a Ruger CSR today about the LCRX3" accuracy and he said it would shoot better with jacketed bullets than lead bullets. His comment was those guns normally shoot pretty decent? I guess I'll try jacketed stuff and see how it shoots. However it is still my goal to get the gun to shoot cast bullets with decent accuracy to serve as a field gun.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Gun shoots poorly and leads badly with standard pressure 38 Spl reloads. Off to the gun show it goes !!