Questions about GP100 44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I bought a new GP100 .44 Special today, with a 3" barrel.

1. Grips

I'm not a fan of the Hogue grips. I see on ShopRuger.com that there are two sets of rubber grips with the wood inserts, one full size and one compact. Will either one fit this gun? I also looked at Altamont, and their website says they only sell the full size rubber grips with wood inserts, and that they won't fit the "compact GP100." Is there a compact GP100? Is the 3" barrel considered a compact?

2. Speedloaders

Would the models made for Charter Arms or S&W 5 round cylinders fit?

3. Trigger

The trigger pull on DA and SA seems lighter and smoother than I thought it would be, based on the described weight.

4. Ammo

What ammo are you using for range use? Are there any good FMJ rounds in .44 Special?

Thanks.

Note: if I could spell, and write succinctly, I wouldn't have to edit!

k2nd

Single-Sixer
GKC, I'll answer q#1. Any GP-100 grip will work as they mount to a stud like a Dan Wesson. I have the same .44 and have put the regular Gp-100 grips on as well as the compact grips. They all work fine.
k2nd

GKC

Blackhawk
k2nd said:
GKC, I'll answer q#1. Any GP-100 grip will work as they mount to a stud like a Dan Wesson. I have the same .44 and have put the regular Gp-100 grips on as well as the compact grips. They all work fine.
k2nd

Thanks! Which do you like better, the regular or the compact?

k2nd

Single-Sixer
I have small hands as well and have the compacts on the 44 now. You might check e-bay for the compacts.
k2nd

GKC

Blackhawk
k2nd said:
I have small hands as well and have the compacts on the 44 now. You might check e-bay for the compacts.
k2nd

Thanks...I was just looking at a set on eBay.

NikA

Buckeye
2) HKS speedloader for Charter Arms 5 shot works.
3) Probably. Mine was OK for a GP-100, but did need some work. I always do a little polishing and adjusting, don't think I've changed springs on this one.
4) I only know of PMC for large manufacturer .44 Special FMJ, and I don't know if it's still produced. I would check with Georgia Arms (they usually make some good ammo in less common pistol calibers) but I should coated lead bullets from mine (works well with low pressure rounds like .44 Special).

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I don't own a GP100 44 so can't answer the first 3 questions. But for #4...

Reloads. I couldn't afford to shoot 44 SPL without reloading. I shot 100 rounds of 44 SPL at the range yesterday and if I had only shot factory ammo it would have cost at least $55-90 depending on the manufacturer to just shoot 100 rounds.

Here are some options for 44 SPL factory ammo. https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/44-special-ammo

diyj98

Single-Sixer
With reloading you can make nice mild target and plinking rounds up to "almost" 44 magnum loads for hunting or defense.

GKC

Blackhawk
The world is a safer place if I don't reload...a klutz I be! :shock: :oops:

The compact grips refer to the size of the grips. I believe they are the most popular. You should be able to buy them on Shop Ruger.

Speedloaders, yes they work.

I haven't messed with the trigger, to me it is smooth enough to seem pretty light.

Not aware of any fmj rounds, but that's just me. Looking for something less expensive I like the cowboy loads. I did buy a few boxes of the Blazer 44 special CCI HP 200 grain ammo. The name of the bullet escapes me at the moment but they are good bullets. I believe very similar to the "flying ashtray".

I really like my GP100 44.

GKC,

Even though I have large hands, I use the compac grips with good results. In my view the stag inserts give the gun kind of a "retro look" as well as a good grip surface.

Like Bear Paw Jack, I recommend Blazer 44 special CCI HP 200 grain ammo for defense and cowboy loaded ammo for "fun" shooting. Since you don't reload it is a good idea to save all of your reloadable brass and sell on our Classifieds Forum. This will help to defray the price of factory ammo.

The GP-100 .44 Special 3 inch has become my favorite Ruger double action revolver.

413428234.jpg

GKC

Blackhawk
Pistolero said:
Even though I have large hands, I use the compac grips with good results. In my view the stag inserts give the gun kind of a "retro look" as well as a good grip surface.

Like Bear Paw Jack, I recommend Blazer 44 special CCI HP 200 grain ammo for defense and cowboy loaded ammo for "fun" shooting. Since you don't reload it is a good idea to save all of your reloadable brass and sell on our Classifieds Forum. This will help to defray the price of factory ammo.

Those are very nice looking grips. I've been looking at some on eBay...the SP101 inserts fit the compact grip, right?

That's a good suggestion about selling my brass...there's a couple of local shops that do reloads, but I've been leery about buying reloaded ammo.

Thanks to all for the responses so far.

Rclark

Hunter
There is also badger grips : https://badgercustomgrips.com/ruger/gp100-boot-grip
Right now I have the Talo wood grips with the finger grooves. Rather have smooth grips like the Ruger Champion grips. Thinking about the Badger grips. I like the small size for concealment and all wood. Never liked rubber grips on any of my guns.

Trigger on mine was very heavy for Single Action (I don't shoot DA style). Springs helped there.

Ammo is what I reload. I like the Skeeter load myself. Never have bought factory so no help there!

Never have used speed loaders either.

GKC said:
Pistolero said:

Those are very nice looking grips. I've been looking at some on eBay...the SP101 inserts fit the compact grip, right?

That's a good suggestion about selling my brass...there's a couple of local shops that do reloads, but I've been leery about buying reloaded ammo.

Thanks to all for the responses so far.
The SP101 inserts will fit the compact grip. I previously used the stag inserts in the photo on my SP101 9mm.

GKC

Blackhawk
I got a set of compact grips from eBay, and just put them on. They fit and look great, and are just right for my small hands. I'm looking at some custom inserts, but the wood inserts that came with them really look good too.

I got two HKS speedloaders from MidwayUSA, as well as a dual holster for them. The speedloaders work great, but I'm not real happy with the holster...it's a bit flimsy. It'll do until I can find a better one, perhaps in leather.

Still looking for some range ammo...thanks for the suggestions, but finding it locally isn't easy. We're going to be going to Dallas for a wedding next weekend, so maybe I can find some up there.

GKC

Blackhawk
Galaxiedan said:
Ammoseek.com is the place to look for ammo if you cant find or afford whats local

Thank you! I'll check it out. We aren't going to Dallas after all...I hurt my back, and just riding around town kills me, so I know I can't handle a 6 hour drive each way. Boy, you never really think much about your back until it hurts, and then that's all you can think about!

TJ11

Single-Sixer
...........:)...........

I just o4rdered a set like these. I'm not 100% positive but I think you need to order a bushing from Ruger that goes between the grip halves. I have seen it in the parts list picture.

yVO7VQZ.jpg

I have been shooting graphite coated 240g LSWC's and had some leading with 6.5g of Unique so till I solve that problem I will be using Berry;s 240g plated flat nose. Accuracy has been great from a 3" barrel.

Cheers

3Ptozqy.jpg

GKC

Blackhawk
TJ11 said:
...........:)...........

I just o4rdered a set like these. I'm not 100% positive but I think you need to order a bushing from Ruger that goes between the grip halves. I have seen it in the parts list picture.

yVO7VQZ.jpg

I ordered that compact grip from a seller on eBay. It came with the locator pin and the grip panel screw, as well as the disassembly pin. The grips are on my GP100 now. I just ordered some custom grip inserts, and when I get them, I'll post a picture.

Did you bob the hammer on your gun?