Grip help needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chiefbg

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a set of older stag grips off of a guy on eBay. They are a rather pretty set but the right side panel is very porous and upon installing them on my SBH the threaded furral pulled through. I would like to find someone who could repair the damage. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I could contact? Thank you all for your time. Chiefbg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
They can be repaired using epoxy or bedding compounds. I would suggest placing a spacer between the grip pannels to prevent it from happening again. The entire porous portion can be filed with a hardener also. The repair should not even be able to be seen with the grips mounted. Any smith or woodworker should be able to do that for you.
Can you post a picture of the damage?

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Noticed on my Single Seven that a small aluminum spacer is used on the grip screw internal to the grip frame. I liked the idea and have installed similar spacers on my other guns (as mentioned by Chuck above). McMaster has a suitable spacer for around $0.25 each.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
They can be repaired using epoxy or bedding compounds. I would suggest placing a spacer between the grip pannels to prevent it from happening again. The entire porous portion can be filed with a hardener also. The repair should not even be able to be seen with the grips mounted. Any smith or woodworker should be able to do that for you.
That is excellent advice. Measure the grip frame and put a spacer. I have even used small washers to get the right length.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
RatCat454 said:
Noticed on my Single Seven that a small aluminum spacer is used on the grip screw internal to the grip frame. I liked the idea and have installed similar spacers on my other guns (as mentioned by Chuck above). McMaster has a suitable spacer for around $0.25 each.
This is something mentioned by Cary C and he supplied them with his grips. I too purchased them to put in my other Blackhawks.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
daveg.inkc said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
They can be repaired using epoxy or bedding compounds. I would suggest placing a spacer between the grip panels to prevent it from happening again. The entire porous portion can be filed with a hardener also. The repair should not even be able to be seen with the grips mounted. Any smith or woodworker should be able to do that for you.
That is excellent advice. Measure the grip frame and put a spacer. I have even used small washers to get the right length.

Depending on the grip frame, I've cut a length of metal tubing to sleeve over the grip screw and accomplish the same.

Latest posts