old army conversion 45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deanodog

Bearcat
bxq7e44t.jpg
test picture

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Just buy a .45 Blackhawk and be done with it. When I first looked at these for my Old Armies, the price of a Blackhawk was close to the price for cylinder. Then the cylinder was restricted to reduced loads. Even now a cylinder is $300.00?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The attraction of an Old Army with an after-market .45 Colt cylinder is that neither of them are ATF regulated items so there is no registration, no forms to fill out and you can order and ship them by regular mail

Rclark

Hunter
Every time I think I might try this ... I remember you have to fully remove the cylinder every time to reload. Naw, I'll just use the gun as intended. I have my BHs and Vaqueros for cartridge .45s. Plus loading 'old style' is fun!

JCW64

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
The attraction of an Old Army with an after-market .45 Colt cylinder is that neither of them are ATF regulated items so there is no registration, no forms to fill out and you can order and ship them by regular mail

True if they are shipped separate. If it shoots a modern cartridge it is considered a modern handgun. In order for it to be considered an antique black powder firearm, it needs to be in its original form. Also, some states have restrictions in its original form but most states don't.

deanodog

Bearcat
I have blackhawks in 45 colt/acp and super blackhawks in 44 mag but I still enjoy the old army and can change it back to black powder when I have the notion.
I have enjoyed shooting and reloading for the ROA. Different strokes for different folk.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
JCW64 said:
22/45 Fan said:

True if they are shipped separate. If it shoots a modern cartridge it is considered a modern handgun. In order for it to be considered an antique black powder firearm, it needs to be in its original form. Also, some states have restrictions in its original form but most states don't.
Yes, you would have to buy the OA in standard form and then buy the conversion cylinder as a separate transaction. It's a bit expensive and some what inconvenient but is a rule beater.

ClemBert

Bearcat
The Ruger Old Army is probably the "best" percussion revolver ever built and shooting it as a cap-n-ball revolver with black powder is a blast. However, on occassion, it's fun to have preloaded .45 Colt black powder cartridges ready to shoot and putting them through a ROA is also fun. A while back I made a video specifically to educate those who were curious as to how you load and shoot .45 Colt through a ROA via a conversion cylinder.

Obviously, this isn't for everyone and I certainly understand why some folks think it would be odd because you can purchase a ready made revolver to shoot .45 Colt cartridges. And, a lot of these folks might also question why anyone would bother to reload cartridges because you can simply purchase them off the shelf. I get it. But, the answer is "....the spice of life..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5AwhP9yzKk

BearBio

Buckeye
daveg.inkc said:
Too bad Ruger ended Black Powder guns.

True but there seems to not be much of a market. Had one up for sale and withdrew it after a week with no interest (had a package deal with a matching Damascus Bowie, also).