New Vaquero in 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twohats

Bearcat
Im new to this forum and need some advice. I just picked this Birdshead up from a bud at a good price.I have tried BH 250 grn bullets and also loaded up some XTP250's with 7.4 grn of Unique and then some with 7.8 grns. AS my buddy which owned the gun says it shoots low left.Well for me its the same and its like lowv 6 in. and windage the same.I know I need to shoot it more.I did shoot more to day and paying more attention to the grip and trigger I was able to get near center at 12 yds with my reloads but not a good group.My couple buddies today all shot low left as well.
I have been told barrel might have to be turned,a bit drastic measure I think.I ran a lazer boresighter throught it and that looks dead on. I really like this gun and want to get proficent with it. I love reloading and I am hoping I can find the golden egg by finding the right load.Any suggestions?

Thanks

Danny

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
As a general rule , the barrels rotated to correct for windage. The front sight can be filed lower th increase elevation. If you are a reloader you can adjust the impact
point by adjusting loads. Light fast bullets tend to shoot low,heavy slower bullets
shoot higher etc. a trip to Ruger service can also fix the problem.

pisgah

Buckeye
Before doing anything else, do some diagnostic dryfiring. With the gun unloaded, pick a small target, line up the sights, then concentrate on the front sight. If you see it consistently going low/left upon firing, you need to adjust your grip and trigger pull to correct.

As for your loads, I have never had very good results using Unique with JHP bullets. But 9.2 gr. Unique and a 255 gr. LSWC has proven quite accurate in several revolvers. That's about the top end for "standard" .45 Colt loads, controllable and plenty powerful for just about any sensible handgun use.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Shoot off a rest and focus on sight picture, grip and trigger finger.
Don't worry about elevation until you decide on the load and bullet combination that gives you the smallest group no matter where it is on the target.

Then, using that load, trim the top of your front sight with fine file at the range until the group is centered on the bullseye elevation wise, at the range distance that you want to shoot it. First trace the shape of your front sight. Once you get the height right, contour the sight to the tracing.

Once you get the load and front sight dialed in, and after practicing on your grip and finger control, if impact is still a left point of impact it's not usually a load issue. For left impact, remove a bit from the right side of the rear sight notch with fine file until you move your group to the ctr of the bullseye windage wise.

twohats

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I was shooting off a solid rest and bags also.I did have some good shots once in awhile.I will take all your advice and work on grips and loads. I think leaning towards cast will be my next loads. Ive heard Berrys or Keiths are a good bullet to start with.

Danny

twohats

Bearcat
I just ordered some Keith 255 swc from Missouri Bullets .I will load some of them. I have the Lyman Cast Manual, so I should have all the specs. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Danny

twohats

Bearcat
I did measure the throats of the cylinder.They were.450.5 and bullet does not go through. Could this be the accuracy problem? I had ordered new cast bullets that are.452. Now will this cause an issue? If this is the issue I know now I must find someone to fic the cylinder.

Thanks All

twohats

Bearcat
after doing more research. I do believe I need the cylinder reamed. Does anyone do this? I could spend the bucks and do it myself but its alot for a one time deal.
Thanks

Danny

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
In a prefect world, the bullet would be .001" to .002" greater than groove diameter of the barrel, and throat diameter would be .0005" to .001" greater than bullet diameter. This arrangement works in just about any revolver for shooting cast bullets. Your cylinder as it is now, is merely a 6-port sizing die, and the bullet is squeezed down to throat diameter before it is presented to the barrel which has been right at .451" now for decades. Reaming the cylinder throats and then honing them until they are all within .0002" of each other fixes the cylinder and groups will show an immediate improvement!

Also I like to remove most of the creep by working over the hammer pad ala David Bradshaw, and I use a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring which lets me dry fire the gun and the sights remain completely motionless as the hammer falls. Send a PM for details.

twohats

Bearcat
Again, i really appreciate all the input,thats why I like these forums. I would have given up if not for you guys here. I am having the cylinder done as we speak and should have back tomorrow. I will post results. Trigger job? Probably next.I just hope to find the love in the gun now.lol Next is all up to me shooting correctly. Easy with Contenders,revolvers for me not so much.ha

Latest posts