Ruger Birds Head

Help Support Ruger Forum:

writwing

Single-Sixer
I have 2 birds head Vaqueros in 45LC that I am thinking of selling. Stainless steel,3" barrel, large frame. Ivory and black grips. Unfired. What would be a good asking price?

princeout

Blackhawk
Check Gunbroker past sales. That'll give you a ballpark to work in.
Otherwise, a good price to a buyer may not sound good to the seller and vice-versa.

I assume you are talking about large frame, transfer bar Vaquero's when you say OM. Gunbroker won't be much help for a true OM Birdshead.

Tim

contender

Ruger Guru
In general, when you want to sell something,,, buyers want detailed descriptions. Your request requires the same info to get a proper value.
Correct terminology will get the best information to potential buyers & appraisers.
You mention "old model" when those of us who have been around a while call the guns made between 1953 & 1973 as Old Models, BECAUSE in 1973,,, Ruger put "New Model" on the frames.
When you speak of Birds Head revolvers, none were made prior to 1973, so all of them are new models.
Next, you need to add as much detail as you can. Blue or stainless? Barrel length? you mentioned unfired,,, but are they still in the boxes, with all the stuff as sent from the factory? Model info as listed on the box helps a lot. Even the serial number or at least a partial helps a lot. Such as 55-123xx.
Pictures help even more.

So, before we can offer an honest appraisal,, we need details.

eveled

Hawkeye
Are they consecutive s/n? Might matter to some buyers. If not you might make more splitting them up.

rustyl

Bearcat
It's a bit more of a buyer's market these days than it was about a year ago. Just to throw a number out there for starters, maybe $1,100 for the pair. I have the exact same pair, decided to keep them my wife's mounted shooting backup. Unless you need the cash or are looking for funds for a new purchase, it may be worth sitting on those for a bit to see how the market shakes.

pisgah

Buckeye
Having been to gunshows, hundreds of them, over many years, I will give you the expert's opinion on value -- I'll give ya $100 apiece for 'em. :wink:

writwing

Single-Sixer
pisgah said:
Having been to gunshows, hundreds of them, over many years, I will give you the expert's opinion on value -- I'll give ya $100 apiece for 'em. :wink

Think your missing a zero.

pisgah

Buckeye
writwing said:
pisgah said:
Having been to gunshows, hundreds of them, over many years, I will give you the expert's opinion on value -- I'll give ya $100 apiece for 'em. :wink

Think your missing a zero.

Tell that to the guys at gun shows. I said it as a joke, but it's the most common line I hear. I once had a renowned, big-time S&W collector curse me roundly at a gun show when I laughed at his $100 offer for a revolver I knew full well was worth half-again the $1100 I was asking, thinking it was a joke. He was dead serious, though, and highly offended that I didn't consider it a privilege to sell at a ridiculous lowball price to such an eminent S&W guru. Tough. He could kiss my scrawny butt, and I told him so. Two weeks later I made a guy a happy camper by selling it to him for $1500.

When I am dealing with an individual selling a valuable personal possession, I try to make a fair offer if I really want the gun. But through the years I have gotten some really astounding bargains at pawn shops because I know several pawnbrokers who will never, ever offer more than $100 for ANY gun. "1-of-1000 Winchester '73? I'll give ya $100 for it." Sure, most sellers walk out of the store at that point -- but maybe 1 in 10 is either so ignorant, or so desperate, that they'll bite. When I KNOW a guy has no more than $100 in a gun, well, you can bet I'm not offering top dollar, or even fair market value, no matter what it is. And guys like that -- well, they're in business to make money, and if they get offered two or three times what they paid for a gun -- even if it's worth 10 times what they paid -- the same principle applies. 1 in 10 times, they'll accept it. I've got more time than money, and often the patience pays off, bigtime.

firedude

Bearcat
They sell for around 600.00. around here. I have three of the large frame bird heads. Great carry guns and fun to shoot.

writwing

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the information. One has sold. The other will be listed on GB. If anyone here is interested email me. FYI it will be more than the $100 low ball price I was offered.