Price check: Old Model Super Blackhawk w/brass grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

7x57hunter

Bearcat
Hello, I came across an 80- prefix Super Blackhawk with a brass grip frame, what is a fair price for 98% condition but no box?

Thanks,

Jon

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE) 2018 collectors price guide shows $1500 for that model in 95-98% condition. That is an average price that a collector puts a value at.

yep, lots of $650-750 Supers out there with a $300 plus "factory brass" grip frame installed "later"........need the factory letter or verification it was shipped as a "S-47B"... :wink:

SATCOM

Blackhawk
7x57hunter,

PM me the serial number and I'll look in the book for you. If it is listed you still need a letter from Ruger stating is S-47B. And if it is not, get a letter to make sure.

SATCOM

contender

Ruger Guru
daveinkc,,, the big difference is the factory installed & shipped brassie,,, not just a Super.

As noted, a big difference in one that "letters" & one that doesn't.

contender

Ruger Guru
Excellent. The RENE gives the value it does assuming it has the correct box. It's a late enough gun to where it's graded as having the box. Deduct about $100 for the box missing.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
If Ruger doesn't show it, check Dougans book on Rugers 1953-1972. He went through the records at Ruger and found many that Ruger did not show. The one I have is one of them.
Ron

street

Hunter
contender said:
Excellent. The RENE gives the value it does assuming it has the correct box. It's a late enough gun to where it's graded as having the box. Deduct about $100 for the box missing.

Per RENE: No guns are to be considered boxed unless they are new model single-action, Jerred or Spanish Engraved Single-six, moghonany cased Super Blackhawk, white box Super Blackhawks, an RCA gun or any .22 pistol produced from about mid 1970 and later.

As this is a Brass Frame Super Blackhawk, the price would be without the box and papers. The box and papers would be extra.

street

Hunter
2sheriffs said:
If Ruger doesn't show it, check Dougans book on Rugers 1953-1972. He went through the records at Ruger and found many that Ruger did not show. The one I have is one of them.
Ron

That is correct. At the time the Steel grip frame, of the Super Blackhawk and the Brass grip frame was the same price. As there were no difference in price some of the guns was not listed as having a brass grip frame. At the time and to this day, Ruger cares nothing about the collector. Only the profit matters, so it just took extra time to list the Brass frame with no difference in price.

chet15

Hawkeye
Factory shipped Super Blackhawks are the easiest to verify without a letter.
Since the standard Super Blackhawk had a steel grip frame on it, Ruger polished the sides of the frame with the grip frame on and just blued it that way, without the need of taking the grip frame off again. So a gun shipped with steel grip frame will show white between the bottom of the cylinder frame and top of the grip frame where they join.
A gun with factory installed brass grip frame will be fully blued on the bottom of the cylinder frame.
Chet15

Sambarstag

Bearcat
Another thing you could look at is under the right grip panel the brass frame should have a MR3-BD marking.