GP 100 44 Special, Model 1770

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Anyone have the above from Lipsey's? Nice looking grips and a gold bead front sight seems interesting. Not much into double actions, but this could be the one.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I have the whole set! Made some holsters for it too.

Ropers%20014b.jpg

IMG_9855b.jpg

Valmet

Single-Sixer
Those guns look awesome! Had one of the first 3" .44 Specials and it wasn't for me. Would like to get my hands on one of those blued 5" guns though.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I have one.
I like the gun except the front sight is too short. I changed the rear blade for a V notch that I cut much deeper. It's good now.
Others have had the same issue with the sights.

LMLarsen

Bearcat
Very nice! I spoke with Ruger about those smooth walnut grips; they said give them a few months and they'd be available as parts.

waterboy452

Bearcat
Been thinking of getting one of these 5" blued GP100 .44's myself. I'm torn between the full or half lug, but am leaning towards the full lug barrel. Not sure why, but I've always really liked the look and feel of a full lug double action revolver. I checked with my LGS today about both, and the full lug is about $43 cheaper. I would like to get both in hand to compare balance etc, but neither are in stock. Would have to special order. They do have 2 of the stainless 3" guns on hand. I imagine it's mostly personal preference. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy both, but would be happy to do so if I could. I also think from an aesthetics point of view, the 5" barrel in either style is the perfect length for these sixguns(or fiveguns) :)

TJ11

Single-Sixer
Really like the grips on the 3" Is there bushing or spacer for the screw through frame support ?

Very nice leather work too. I would like something like that for my 3" GP100.

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
Awesome post and pics.

Have tried the Pachmayers on my 3 inch.
newgrips.jpg

Think I will go back to the stock grips, and explore more grip options down the road.
oc44t.jpg

My plan is to make the GP44s my only DA revolvers... except for
a GP100 in .22 LR. That would be sweet.

These are next on my list :

RU1770.jpg

RU1765_R_800x451.jpg

However, I'd really like to see a blued 4 incher with the full lug.

I'd also want the 4 inch GP22.
47083_DEFAULT_l.jpg

I have to move out some Ruger singles and other Rugers, first.

dougader

Hunter
I really liked my 3" stainless GP100. I did, however, want the ability to shoot the heavy Keith load if I wanted/needed and after I read of 2 cracked forcing cones and Brian Pearce of Handloader mag saying not to do it, I regrettably sold mine and got the S&W 69, a 5 shot 44 mag on their L frame platform.

If I could afford to keep both, I would have. If all I ever would need to shoot was factory pressure loads or even the Skeeter load (240-250/7.5 Unique) then I would have kept the GP100.

After owning and shooting both, I have to say as far as trigger/action and shoot-ability, I like the GP100 better than the S&W 69.

That short lug 5-inch GP100 is sweet. I wish Ruger would make more of their GP line with the short lug... the full lug used to look so cool to me when I was younger. Now all I see is unnecessary added weight!

i-SFgC3bC-L.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
I have one but opted for the Match Champion grips for mine because the ropers moved ever so slightly on my gun.

It is a great six, er, fivegun.