Question About OM .30 Carbine Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
A few months ago I picked up an OM .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Finally made time to use it, using factory ammo. I have a question about the Cylinder. I know that the cartridge is Rimless, and I believe the cartridges stop by the chamber length, unlike the .357, .41, .44. After firing, the brass is difficult to eject, as it is expanded against the chamber walls of the cylinder, the expansion being obvious after brass is ejected. You can see the "deformation" at the rear 1/4" of the brass case. Is this typical of the .30 Carbine? Other than a more in depth cleaning of the cylinder chambers, what can be done to improve the removal of spent cartridges? Thanks for your advice. By the way, these are very nice to shoot.

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
I got one several weeks ago..it does not do this..empty shells will not fall into your hand..but using the ejector they slide out just fine.

Sticky and difficult extraction is a common issue with the 30 carbine Blackhawk. In my experience, following others advice, burnishing the chambers and removing all oil or solvent prior to shooting will help.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own some of the OM 30 Carbine Blackhawks myself. The ones I shoot,,, do occasionally exhibit a bit of stickiness in extraction, when using mil-surp ammo. My reloads, no. I have cleaned & hand polished the chambers myself, to where the issue isn't a problem.
You are correct in that the cases headspace on the mouth, not the rim. Same as a 9mm, 40 S&W, 45acp etc. You can get some polishing compound, a proper sized bore mop, add the compound, a drill on a medium speed, and polish the chambers A LITTLE to smooth them out a bit. Do not get off center, or apply sideways pressure etc. Or, you can get a smith to hone & polish the chambers for you. A member here,,, "Dougguy" does EXCELLENT work and he's fast & reliable. Plus his fees are very reasonable. Ship him just the cylinder, and usually about a week or so it'll be back looking great, and performing better.

hittman

Staff member
cellar701 said:
Sticky and difficult extraction is a common issue with the 30 carbine Blackhawk. In my experience, following others advice, burnishing the chambers and removing all oil or solvent prior to shooting will help.

^. ^. This. ^. ^

And, shoot an email to our fellow member "2 dogs". Great guy to work with and he fixed my issues.

And if you hand load, let me add to your problems. If not frequently trimmed, the case will stretch and rub on that part of the frame facing the rear of the cylinder, impeding cylinder rotation.

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
To avoid reloading; Does anyone make factory ammo loaded to Revolver Pressures rather than Rifle Pressures?

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
The only issue with difficult extraction on my son's NM BH 30Carbine was restrictive throats. Once I opened the throats it extracts like it should, as some fall out and others are easily removed with the ejector rod, while before I couldn't get enough force on the ejector rod to push them out and had to knock them out with a punch.

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Here is what I know thus far;

Bullets easily fit into the chambers at the front of the cylinder. Front of chambers measure .309.
Head Space is .009
End Shake is .006
Ammo I used was Aguila;
Fired Case Diameter at Case Mouth- .341
Fired Case Diameter at Center- .350
Fired Case Diameter at approximately .25 above Rim- .355
Fired Case Diameter at approximately at Top of Rim Groove- .352
Fired Case Diameter at Rim- .357

If I could send photos of spent cases, I would. Looking at a case, it appears that there is a section of each cylinder chamber that is of a larger diameter than the rest of the chamber. It looks like if the .352 area was opened to the .355 just above it, the problem would be resolved. Its a nice shooter, and from other things I've read, reloading it as a pistol, rather than a factory rifle cartridge, would lower chamber pressures substantially.