LCRx 9MM experiences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ger42

Bearcat
Because of arthritis in my thumbs especially the left hand I have gotten rid of my semi-auto guns. In a tense situation I didn't feel confident I could work a slide to clear a jam. For a Night Stand gun I got a S&W 986 Pro 2.5" 9MM. I was going to have a S&W 442 cylinder cut to shoot 9MM but decided it would be better to actually get a revolver made to shoot 9MM. I handled an LCRx in 9mm at a local gun store. I liked the feel and the trigger. Before I buy looking for what actual owners have to say.

Thanks
Reason for 9MM slightly better ballistics than a 38 but less recoil than a 357 mag.

Not many 9MM revolvers made but I want to keep my search with S&W and Ruger.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
ger42 said:
Thanks
Reason for 9MM slightly better ballistics than a 38 but less recoil than a 357 mag.

My carry gun is an LCRx 38. I like it a lot. I also have an LCR 9mm but I find the recoil very unpleasant. It doesn't kick as hard as a 357 magnum but it kicks a lot harder than the 38. In addition the muzzle flash is considerably brighter than the 38 and it is significantly louder.

ger42

Bearcat
charlesappel said:
ger42 said:
Thanks

My carry gun is an LCRx 38. I like it a lot. I also have an LCR 9mm but I find the recoil very unpleasant. It doesn't kick as hard as a 357 magnum but it kicks a lot harder than the 38. In addition the muzzle flash is considerably brighter than the 38 and it is significantly louder.
What ammo you use in the LCR 9MM?

Terry T

Buckeye
I put the LCR 3" grip on mine (LCR-9) - helps a lot!

http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCRx-and-LCR-3-Tamer-Grip/productinfo/19947/

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
You might also consider the SP-101 in 9mm.

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5783.html

Terry T

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I own a few DA 9mm revolvers. A Speed-Six & a LCR.
I also teach a lot of older folks to shoot. Arthritis can truly affect what you can use, AND what you can handle recoil wise. My own Miss Penny has Lupus,, and has joint pain issues as well.
First, a DA revolver is an excellent choice. But, you need to find a gun that YOU can operate. A different set of grips can make one work better or worse. It has to fit YOU.
In the Ruger line, that has been (in the past,) the Speed-Six in 9mm. Harder to find, and more expensive. An excellent gun.
The SP-101. The current all steel, (heavier) in 9mm. Heavier means less felt recoil. And, it enjoys more grip options than many.
The LCR line. Also excellent,, but lighter, which means more felt recoil. New enough that grip options are fewer. But the working of the action is different, and feels easier to many.

May I suggest you get your hands on one to try before you buy? See if a local range has any for rent. If not, ask any of your local buddies to see if they have one. And if you can't find one to try out, at least handle them & try to work the action in a store before you buy. YOU need to be able to operate it.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'd vote for the all steel 9mm SP101. Not only does that weight help mitigate recoil on the user, it also helps prevent 9mm crimp jump. I've fired thousands of rounds through my 9mm SP101 and never had a crimp jump issue. I don't own a LCR 9mm but some ammos will have trouble with crimp jump and the far lighter weight of the revolver.

ger42

Bearcat
Thanks for all the info I am looking for something I can on occasion pocket carry the LCRx seem better suited. Going to see what ranges rent the Ruger Sp101 and LCRx.

jimd441

Blackhawk
As usual, Contender is correct. The right gun for one person isn't necessarily the right gun for another. We all have different sized bodies and physical preferences and limitations. The more you can handle and preferably shoot the different options, the more informed decision you can make. My 2cents

Jim

ger42

Bearcat
I got ot handle one but did not get to fire one. Orderd one today LCRx 9MM matte finish $452 shipped to my ffl transfer will cost me $10.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have a SP101 in 9MM. I bought it because it is faster than a 38Spl even +P loads. Now I like mine but find it picky as to ammo. Armscore 115 and Remington 115 both shoot low and left at 15 yards. I shoot that distance because I know if it will shoot well at that distance shorter distance will be fine. I also shot WW 115 and they shoot windage neutral but 2" low and do not group too bad.
I reload 9MM also , looking for the perfect "carry load". I use the Berry bullets 124 HP and shooting through water jugs they expand significantly , but hold together. Yesterday I shot the 101 at the range and 5.5 Unique/124 BB shot low and left with the Remington and armscore rounds. I loaded the same bullet with 7.5 grains of Blue dot and it shot 2" high and 2" to the right. All of the loads mentioned come from the Speer manual because of the like bullets type of Speer gold dots and Berry bullets. I believe the factory 124 loads will shoot closer to point of aim with the gun just have not found any in our rural community.
My SP101 has a Wilson spring kit in it and it is 100% reliable with hand loads and factory ammo. The lighter return spring and ,mainspring a very nice smooth DA and light SA pull. LCRX guns in 9MM are very efficient in 9MM giving velocities close to a 4" barrel gun but lighter will have a more snappy recoil. Mt SP101 has a mild recoil and I carry it in a belt slide holster under a shirt or jacket.
I recommend the 9MM snub for efficiency but they tend to be a little picky for ammo that shoots point of aim.
FYI ,I have arthritic hands and I am 72 years old so just for reference ,it works for me.

ger42

Bearcat
Ruger came in I went to pick it up today what was sent was an LCR .357 MAG what I ordered was an PCRx 9MM . Place I got it from is closed until Monday. No range test this weekend.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Very aggravating ! Who made the mistake, probably the gun shop. LCR in 357 would be pretty wicked in the recoil department. Don't shoot it just make them get you the correct weapon you ordered. I like my SP101 in 9MM . They are slightly heavier but also soak up a little more recoil. The SP101 also has trigger spring kits that will significantly lessen the DA & SA trigger pull. I like mine it is just a little picky about what ammo it shoots to what POA.

ger42

Bearcat
JStacy said:
Very aggravating ! Who made the mistake, probably the gun shop. LCR in 357 would be pretty wicked in the recoil department. Don't shoot it just make them get you the correct weapon you ordered. I like my SP101 in 9MM . They are slightly heavier but also soak up a little more recoil. The SP101 also has trigger spring kits that will significantly lessen the DA & SA trigger pull. I like mine it is just a little picky about what ammo it shoots to what POA.
I ordered to from Grab A Gun had it shipped to my FFL.

ger42

Bearcat
JStacy said:
I'd make them take it back and pay shipping on return !
I got ahold of them this afternoon they sent a UPS label to return the .357 and put in a replacement order for the LCRx 9MM I ordered. Only problem is they won't ship my 9MM until they get the .357 black.