Ruger RH. How Prevalent are FTF Issues? Poll.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FTF on Ruger Redhawk?

• FTF problems. Solved by sending to Ruger.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • FTF continue even after sending to Ruger.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Some FTF with double action only. Not on single action.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • No FTF problems whatsoever.

Votes: 57 82.6%

• Total voters

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hello Guys,
I know that this topic has been beaten to death and it appears from my research that some RH's of recent production are still suffering from FTF's on double action and sometimes on the single action pulls.

I have been wanting to buy a RH in 45 LC, and this issue has held me back. My question is, what percentage of Ruger Redhawks suffer from this malady?

All of my shooting will be with reloads. I don't want to stick with just federal primers. All my priming is using a bench priming tool so primer seating depth is ideal. Also no hard russian primers here.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I voted 'some' because I have had a few FTF problems when I tried a reduced power mainspring in my Redhawk. With the factory spring - no problems - but I feel the trigger pull is a little too heavy. It requires a little getting used to. ...also the ammo/primers have quite a bit to do with the problem.

Sugar River

Buckeye
All 3 of my Redhawks have been trouble free. The problems I've heard of seem to relate to replacement hammer springs.
Of course, you can always send it to Bowen for his extra long FP.

FTF=s Failure to Fire at least that is the way I took it.
My two Redhawks have gone bang every single time. One dates back to 86 or so!
They have a diet of reloads only most of the time it is CCI primers. Very Dependable. ps

CraigC

Hawkeye
Sorry, I know what was meant but FTF is internet jargon for failure to feed. Just as FTE is failure to eject. If you pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang due to insufficient primer strike, it's a misfire. Plain and simple. There's no point in using these acronyms if the meaning is going to be blurred by people who don't know any better.

Ah the day of abbreviations,,, how sad! Sorry but Craig C is 100% correct, the term FTF has always been known in the firearms industry as a "failure to feed" and is related to semi auto and automatic firearms,, I too when I saw the thread subject immediately thought this was in the wrong forum and should be in the semi auto forum??

Fail to fire can be easily fixed. I have had seen this with some double actions, and one single action. Every instance was simple to remedy. First never ever use a reduced power hammer spring, this is not good even if the revolver does fire! This will reduce lock time at the least, creating a less than ideal accuracy platform, it can cause ignition issues even if the firearm does fire which also can cause accuracy issues. It can cause a dangerous misfire or worse yet hang fire which can allow the firearm to fire even after the hammer has dropped. A weak hammer spring has and can cause issues without the owner even knowing it.

I will also say to much spring power can cause less then perfect accuracy as well pounding the frame disrupting a steady platform as the round is ignited!

One thing I have found on a couple Ruger revolvers double action, is with the hammer itself. It did not have enough travel stopped by the hammer before the transfer bar was intruded on the firing pin far enough. This was a simple fix on revolvers that I have encounters, and one of them only displayed this in double action firing. I simply reduced the height of the step in the hammer that limits how far it can fall against the frame with a fine file and hone. Light strike in this manner I was able to eliminate, I also seen better groups in single action deliberate testing after doing this on one of these guns, the other I had not ever tested, but had caught the issue first time shooting it in double action.

I really never give this much thought, I take it as one of the little things that go along with owning the most robust hand guns ever made and the finest sporting revolvers ever made, to me it's trivial when I know I have chosen the finest hunting revolvers available anywhere near their price! Easy fix, nut unlike some I consider tight throats a good thing since I shoot only what I cast and load myself, this just assures I can have it custom throated to it's absolute optimum for my purpose! I also figure this is one thing easily taken care of with the trigger job. One more thing I plan on doing immediately after buying the revolver before I ever buy it, my personal opinion is any responsible firearm owner should easily be able to fix this problem without sending it back to Ruger, and my guess is many have created the problem themselves without knowing how to properly improve the action but attempt it anyways??? just a my guess?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
G. Freeman said:
FTF (failure to fire).

Thanks guys. I've also read that the factory single action pull runs around 6#. Does it get any better than this?

G. Freeman.... as CraigC notes, ignition failure is called a MISFIRE. Perhaps a generation has come along which thinks a one-word term going back to acceptance of the SELF-CONTAINED CARTRIDGE and understood by all----MISFIRE----can be improved upon by officious phrasing or capitalized letters. In this case, it takes three words----failure to fire----in a vain attempt to replace one word----MISFIRE.

This shooter sees conceit in lingo which force many a sharpshooter to wonder what in Hell is being discussed. Especially when asking a question clarity is valuable.

Yes, "FTF" means failure to feed.

On to the Redhawk: My experience with the Ruger Redhawk predates its release. Short firing pin profusion noted by Hamilton Bowen afflicts some small portion of Redhawks, far from all. Marginal protrusion in conjunction with a light mainspring for sure represents a blueprint for MISFIRE.

It was a mistake for Ruger to incorporate a single spring to both drive the hammer AND rebound the trigger. The concept works as a V-leaf on old Colt double action revolvers. However, the Ruger coil spring trades adequate hammer fall for a lighter rebound.

Letoff of the Redhawk single action may be tuned with factory mainspring down to 3-1/4 pounds. Below this, the trigger with kick forward, catching the DOUBLE ACTION SEAR (a.k.a. "fly") on the sear tip of the trigger.
David Bradshaw

trapperon

Blackhawk
Never EVER had a single ftf in any of my several redhawks--both factory and handloads. I think the only issue you may have with the 45 model is tight throats. My 45 in 5.5 inch is my very favorite redhawk. Long live Bill Rugers double action designed specifically for the big bores!

Ron

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I have a Wolff reduced power mainspring in one of my RH's. I put it in in the early 90's and have never had a misfire. The kit came with three springs, blue, yellow and red. Blue was the lightest and resulted in misfires. I installed the yellow and it's been 100% reliable. I just measured the SA pull at 4lb 8oz average for six cycles.
I also have two other RH's with factory springs. One produced a 5lb 5oz average and the other 5lb 6oz.
All three of these guns are pre 2000 production.
FWIW, I use a lot of CCI and Winchester primers in .44 loads.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I got one of the Redhawk .45 Colt/ACP revolvers when they were pretty new. Lots of failures to fire, both single and double. I returned it, and received a call informing that it was "irreparable", excessive head space and something wrong with the firing pin channel. They sent me a new revolver, I haven't had any problems with it other than when I had a 12 lb. Wolff main spring installed. Can't blame that on the gun.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
Never heard of it or experienced it.

FTF = Failure To Feed. What you're describing is a misfire.

Craig ~ thanks for clearing that up. I've been pondering face-to-face transfers trying to think of a problem there!

Bob Wright