Ruger 10MM/40 S & W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Malcolm2

Bearcat
Just shot my new SS Blackhawk convertible from Lipsey's. I only used the 10mm cylinder today which was pleasant to shoot with 175 grain PPU cartridges. Barrel length is 6.5 on mine. Fit and finish are surprisingly good. I will report back when I shoot 40 S&W through it.

elmo123

Bearcat
I have shot various brands of .40 out of mine and it was not as accurate as the 10mm cylinder is.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have been enjoying mine, mainly with 10mm. Have also been having fun shooting it with my 1976 in 357mag.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Hondo suggested reaming the 40 cylinder to 38-40. Other options, if one handloads , would be 10mm magnum or 40/44 Woodstalker. Either would be a beast of a handgun. I'm still waiting for a 10mm in either a Flat top or a GP-100. I'll just have to shoot 10's in my G20 or G40. The 40 cylinder is included so that one can use all of that soon to be cheap 40 ammo. Bob!! :D

Onty

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
Hondo suggested reaming the 40 cylinder to 38-40. Other options, if one handloads , would be 10mm magnum or 40/44 Woodstalker. Either would be a beast of a handgun. I'm still waiting for a 10mm in either a Flat top or a GP-100. I'll just have to shoot 10's in my G20 or G40. The 40 cylinder is included so that one can use all of that soon to be cheap 40 ammo. Bob!! :D

Boy, I wish we above 49th parallel could have these. If so, my first move would be to convert 40 cylinder to 401 Powermag. Not sure about brass availability, but making it from 41 Magnum shouldn't be the problem http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?322689-401-Herter-s-PowerMag-Brass . One nice LBT, 250 grains boolit, with .300 meplat, at about 1200+ fps will be fantastic load, even for larger hogs or wild boars.

BTW, what is length of the cylinder on that 10/40 Blackhawk? Please specify how length is measured; with the brass, or without it. Thanks!

rangerbob

Buckeye
I forgot about the 401 Powermag. I still remember drooling at the mid sixties Herters catalog with those in there for $50 brand new. Of course, I was in high school with no money. I did manage to acquire a Herters press and dies as my first reloading tools. I wish the 401 would come back as the 401 Ruger Magnum or Hornady revolver Magnum(HRM) with Hornady and Starline brass. Bob!! :mrgreen:

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I have one in the 4 5/8" length and have only shot it with the .40 cylinder. I bought a spare .357 magnum cylinder to have rechambered to .38-40 and fit to the gun. I really enjoy shooting .38-40 and the adjustable sights on this gun will allow me to find an accurate reload.

I hope you all enjoy your guns.

Andrew

Mus408

Hunter
I don't really understand the 10mm in a revolver. Any advantage over the .44 Magnum?

Onty

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
I forgot about the 401 Powermag. I still remember drooling at the mid sixties Herters catalog with those in there for $50 brand new. Of course, I was in high school with no money. I did manage to acquire a Herters press and dies as my first reloading tools. I wish the 401 would come back as the 401 Ruger Magnum or Hornady revolver Magnum(HRM) with Hornady and Starline brass. Bob!! :mrgreen:
If Ruger makes GP100 in some sort of 10 rimmed magnum, using same Carpenter 465 steel as on SRH and Bisley 454 and 480, it could be 6 shooter, and I bet it will be top seller in no time. Just perfect combination of size and power. Also, they could redesign it so it could have interchangeable cylinders for 10 and 40, like Korth, in 357 and 9x19 https://imgur.com/gallery/2oVWW6e . Further to mentioned, they could put front 4 position adjustable sight, like silhouette S&W, so different loads could be preset.

Well, just pipe-dreams...

k22fan

Blackhawk
Mus408 said:
I don't really understand the 10mm in a revolver. Any advantage over the .44 Magnum?
The advantage is mainly being able to enjoy the 10mm reloads an owner is already assembling in a single action. Without going to higher pressure even a 10mm Magnum can not equal a .41 Magnum because the .41 has a longer and slightly larger diameter case. I suppose you could reload a 10mm faster than a .44 Magnum by thumbing cartridges out of a pistol magazine into the Black Hawk. If money was not a consideration I'd snap up a 10mm/.40 convertible but I would not bother trying to justify a need.

My most used match revolver has been a 10mm S&W DA. While it is not quite as fast as a .45 ACP getting a new full moon clip in it is faster than speed loaders and competitive at the local level. As a collector I like having a different gun than all the other competitors. Also in pre-Obama days .40 S&W FMJ factory cartridges were priced low enough that I could justify not reloading before some matches. My guess is that .40 S&W factory cartridges are still less expensive than .38 Special and I know they are a lot less expensive than .44 Special and .44 Magnum.

mtjk

Bearcat
I got one in 6 1/2, mainly because I have literally more 40 s&w than I can ever shoot. I had always heard the 10mm/40 were accurate in a revolver. Wow. first cyl of 40 I shot I could cover the group with a quarter. Not sure of the distance, maybe 30-40 feet but with no trigger work and my shooting ability I am very impressed.
The fit of the ruger factory grips is awful and they should be ashamed. Looks like a chinese knock off of a ruger. But it shoots good. I will make some custom grips and add a pic when I get done.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Not to hijack the thread, and feel free to direct me to one that addressed this already, but TinStarFirearms mentioned getting a spare 357 cylinder. Is this something Ruger does regularly? I've read that they don't unless the gun was originally chambered in the caliber already. And does the gun have to go back to be timed for it? Thanks for any insight.

contender

Ruger Guru
I know you understand you can't shoot a 357 in a gun built for 10mm/40 S&W.
Ruger does make spare cylinders,,, IF,,,, IF the model you need has been built with a spare cylinder. BUT,,, it has to be one of their models,, and they do want the gun for proper fitting & timing.

However,,, many of us will buy spare cylinders,,, because we've not had any timing issues with odd spares.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
That's what I have read, but I trust this forum over others. Yes I understand the 357 won't work with the 10mm/40, but it never was offered in the first place which is what puzzled me. Regardless, the reason I asked was I have a NM used 357 on layaway and it does not have a 9mm cylinder with it. I eventually would like one and wondered if Ruger would sell one if in fact this particular gun was never sold with one.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you have a Blackhawk on layaway,, in 357,, you can most likely get a spare cylinder in 9mm made for it. Ruger has made many of them.

I just received mine yesterday, the 4-5/8" model. 'Course I haint beed able to shoot it yet, but I cleaned it up a little and replaced the supplied grips. As usual, the grip frame was substantially bigger than the grips. Older grips from my stash nearly always fit better.

Otherwise, fit and finish is quite good.