Ruger 10MM/40 S & W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hollywood63

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
I don't really understand the 10mm in a revolver. Any advantage over the .44 Magnum?

Yep its a 10MM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and if I have to explain you wouldn't understand :p :p

Mines a 4 5/8 and I love it first SA which I didn't think I'd like but here we go another aspect of hand gunning :D

gs50401

Bearcat
Grips on Ruger stainless guns always seem too small. Are the aluminum frames smaller?

cas6969

Buckeye
;)

j0lg1v.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
MalteseHoss, you are aware that you can buy a new SS 357 Blackhawk convertible with the 9mm cylinder included. They are a distributor exclusive at Williams Shooters Supply in either a 4.62" or 6.5" barrel. Both are in stock as I type this. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Shot mine a bunch with both the 10mm and .40 S&W cylinders. Truly pleasurable.

Also tried a .38-40 cylinder. First time I've had a convertible cylinder not fit a gun of the same size. Alignment was perfect, overall length was perfect, but there was a significant barrel/cylinder gap, as well as the .38-40 ammo was a bit too far from the recoil shield and caused a bunch of misfires from the firing pin not reaching the primer.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
rangerbob, sorry just saw your post. My question really was just hypothetical mostly for my own curiosity. The convertible 357 is next on my list.

So my 10mm/40s&w came in finally. I'm not a picky person by any stretch, and I actually have a an attraction to flawed guns, but I have to say Ruger and Lipsey should be embarrassed to ship this. I expected the grips to not fit, but these don't even look like they belong on the gun they are so off. And the screw on the front of the ejector rod housing is all buggered up. On top of that, apparently when the screwdriver slipped it gouged the housing bad enough where it will cut you if you run your finger over it. Also there is a burr where the frame meets in one spot so bad you can shave with it. It's like no attempt was even made to finish the gun before it left the factory. It's all stuff I'll be able to clean up with files and sandpaper but I thought for close to $800 it would be of even average fit and finish.
That being said, I'm still a happy man and can't wait to shoot it. The fact that they made the effort to offer this niche gun in the first place far outweighs the flaws that it has. It already ranks as one of my favorite guns I own.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Apparently, it's too much to ask for or expect a nearly perfect mass produced item these days. One can't blame Lipsey's as they just order them from Ruger and don't have the time or properly trained employees to inspect each and every firearm they ship. Of course, that one should never been boxed or shipped, but Ruger can only hire what they can get. That's why I didn't hesitate on a 1979 vintage M700 BDL in 7mm Express when one of my mates offered it for sale last week. It had the quality one expects from that era when Big Green turned out nice rifles. If Ruger ever makes a mid frame flat top in 10mm/40, they'll have me for a customer. I'm still waiting on the 9mm carbine. Bob!! :roll:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
You have to use a picture hosting site,,, such as imgur to put your pictures on & then use their linking system,,, to post pics here.

rangerbob

Buckeye
henry-b, the 401 is simply a 40 caliber revolver cartridge, very much like the 41 magnum, except that it uses 40/10mm bullets. When it was introduced, the 41 magnum, 40 S&W, and 10mm did not exist. It filled the gap between the 357 and the 44 and Herters used their usual advertising flare to promote their revolver, ammo, and reloading components. It filled its intended niche. Bob! :mrgreen: